Nex 3 first impressions

I haven't gotten to use the Nex as much as I would have liked to in the last couple of weeks, work, grass cutting ect. But my first impressions are pretty good. First the tilting screen is sweet. Navigation another thing. It is hard to navigate if you are use to a DSLR. There is no quick way to change ISO or much else. The best way I have found to shoot is aperture priority or shutter priority.
    Focus speed is, well, fast. I use the 16mm and it is as fast as some DSLRs I have owned. Manual focus is also very good. When you focus the screen enlarges your subect and it's easy to get focus. I haven't used the screen in bright light yet.
    Noise is also very low. Clean ISOs up tp 1600 and 3200 ISO, personally I wouldn't go any higher as noise becomes noticable.
    When the camera first came out many were calling it ugly.lol But from the get go I was impressed with the grip. It feels very good in my hand and is easy to hold and shoot. I haven't tried IS out yet either. I keep forgeting how to navigate to turn it on.lol
    Start up time is a bit to slow too. I also wish I could use a remote shutter release since i shoot at night a lot but have yet to find a remote timer. The Nex 5 can be fired with a wieless remote.
    Is it better than Olympus? Well the IQ is. It is right up there with my E5. If the lens was a little sharper it might be equal or even have an edge. But I have to remember I am using the kit lens on the Nex, Soon I am going to try my Leica and Voigtlander lenses on it.
    I wouldn't say over all it is better than Olympus, just different. With Olympus you can use a EVF or OVF, a plus. Olympus also has an edge on lenses. They have more choices there.
    All in all I have liked all of the EVIL cameras I have used but no one has hit a homerun with me yet. As good as they are my problem isn't IQ but function. So far I think the Fuji X 100 appeals to me the most but you can't change lenses and the price is out of my league for what I would use it for. If I am going to lay down that kind of cash I want a weather sealed DSLR. Not a P&S.
    Sooner or later some one is going to hit it out of the park. A camera that is easy to shoot in manual and has a EVF and $800.00 or less.
    I think Canon and Nikon both are watching the market and may have a few surprises in mind.
    Oh if I could only just slide a sensor inside my M3.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Nex 3 first impressions

I don't know if you are aware, but the new NEX firmware should be out on 6/20. I think it lets you program the buttons??? Also, I'm hearing that the 6-image stack, 'high ISO' (also in the update I think) is something really worth checking out. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Terry it seems Sony is listening. I hope the changes help....
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I been thinking about a Sony NEX3 myself.

In fact. My local Frys Electronics has them at $299 untill supplies last. My guess is they are making room for newer models.

Im looking at $699 for the new NEX 5N and it looks incredible but at $299 the NEX3 looks like a much better deal for me.

Is there a 50mm F1.8 lens for the NEX 3 thats bolts right on with no adaptor???

Thanks,
    bigC

Greg - we are alternates I'm a Sony DSLR shooter and an Olympus Pen shooter. You are the other way around.

I think the NEX is a nice looking camera, but I agree that navigating it is a cumbersome chore. I like the Pen interface much better. The NEX is a better looking camera though lol.

How about the NEX 7 greg? What are your thoughts on that?
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Greg - we are alternates I'm a Sony DSLR shooter and an Olympus Pen shooter. You are the other way around.

I think the NEX is a nice looking camera, but I agree that navigating it is a cumbersome chore. I like the Pen interface much better. The NEX is a better looking camera though lol.

How about the NEX 7 greg? What are your thoughts on that?
    If it is good as it is on paper I will get one at some point. My biggest problem with the pens was seeing the LCD in bright like and using my Leica glass was a PITA. I do however like the navigation of the pens better. With the firmware upgrade the Nex is much better. With a little practice it gets easier.
    The Sony lenses are getting a bad rap. They are much better than I thought.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information