Question What E-PL1 camera case and sling bag to buy for a vacation?

I currently have the official Olympus mini-backpack to hold my E-PL1. It works fine, but unfortunately can't use it as a sling bag. A lot of other bags are too big for m4/3 cameras.

I'm planning to go on a cruise and am looking for a sling bag and/or leather case with strap that would be faster to get the camera in and out. I don't want a full leather case that encloses the kit lens because I modified my kit lens with a hood. So my camera won't fit in any of those full cases. Plus I also have the MMF-2 adapter and 40-150mm zoom.

Would it be best to get just a leather half-case with sling strap, and put that in a sling bag? Will I look like a dork, carrying a sling bag and camera everywhere on the ship?

Re: What E-PL1 camera case and sling bag to buy for a vacation?

If you're on a ship why not just use the neck strap? If it were me, I'd just zip up a windbreaker over the camera or put it under my arm. The E-PL1 is small enough that I think it's pretty comfortable carried like that.

Of course, you do still need a case. I don't have a good case for the M43 cameras, either so I'm curious about what you've found and what other people suggest.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I will be carrying my camera most of the time. I'm not going to walk around everywhere with a standard neck strap and have to hold the camera. Nor will I want to hold the camera under my arm, that just won't work. I want both of my hands free. That's why I'm looking for a small sling bag that is non-intrusive and light to carry.

I just received the Tamrac Velocity 6x, but am going to return it. Although it is around the same size as my Olympus mini-backpack, the interior is too small. It is faster to pull out my camera from the Olympus backpack, then the Tamrac. Everything fits too tight in the Tamrac, and because of it's design, camera doesn't come out easily as pictured. Can't even fit a 4/3 lens or the E-PL1 with viewfinder in it easily. Even a camera strap is hard to fold and fit in it. This slows down shooting big time. This is suprising because the overall size of it is the same as the Olympus brand bag.

I suppose the Tamrac Velocity 7x would be bigger, but the size of that is way larger than what I'm looking for. It's suprising no one makes a functional sling bag that is made more for m4/3 bodies. Everything else is just too large to carry around everywhere on a trip.

I also tried a hip pack attached to my belt, but that was just too bulky. I may just stay with the Olympus mini-backpack and use it on my travels.

Look at some of the Domke bags. I have this one.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._and_Belt.html
    Lightweight and tough. Just enough room for a m4/3 and extra lens and battery. I also use this one for my M6. This one is very popular with street shooters.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks but I'm really looking for a sling bag with padded strap. The Velocity 6x has cushioned shoulder pad, but then the rest of the strap is a stiff nylon material. This is uncomfortable across my chest. Do any sling bags have a full padded strap?

Thread Information