Panasonic or Olympus m4/3rd

Well I am getting more serious about the m4/3rd stuff. I was looking hard at Panasonic but a deal I am trying to work out at another site has me thinking Olympus again. I like the in body IS on the Olympus which I think will make future purchases of lenses cheaper than if I go with Panasonic. But are the Panny lenses faster, sharper? If you have any pros and cons either way post them here. I need to read some.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Re: Panasonic or Olympus m4/3rd

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Well I am getting more serious about the m4/3rd stuff. I was looking hard at Panasonic but a deal I am trying to work out at another site has me thinking Olympus again. I like the in body IS on the Olympus which I think will make future purchases of lenses cheaper than if I go with Panasonic. But are the Panny lenses faster, sharper? If you have any pros and cons either way post them here. I need to read some.
    Greg,

I'm not the expert here. BUT.....from my personal experience - and my personal opinion is that with the IBIS you get the best of both worlds. You are right about making purchases of lenses cheaper - you can get any lens (even legacy) and it is stablized using on the IBIS camera. Also, I have used 2 Panasonic lenses, the 20mm/f1.7 which is a beautiful compact lens that is quite sharp and fast. Because it is an M4/3 lens, you don't need an adaptor. And on the E-P1/2 & PL it is quite fast. I did read that the faster Panny lenses work just as fast on the EP cameras - I don't know because I've never tried the Panasonic M4/3. However, I don't have any problem with the AF with my E-PL1 (or E-P1).

IOW, yes, the Panasonic lenses I've tried are faster - however, they work faster on the E-P1/2 and E-PL1 also. So you can get the Olympus E-P1/2 or PL and get Panasonic lenses.

Oh - the other Panasonic lens I tried was the 45-200 (beautiful lens). I returned it, but may get it again. :-)

Liz

Well one of the ones I am looking at is the E-PL1 and since you have owned it and the EP-1. What is the difference. Just the plastic body? If the deal falls through at the other site I am thinking E-PL1.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Well one of the ones I am looking at is the E-PL1 and since you have owned it and the EP-1. What is the difference. Just the plastic body? If the deal falls through at the other site I am thinking E-PL1.
    The E-PL1 has built in flash with proper manual control and wireless command mode. This flash is "flexible" - you can use your finger to lift it up and bounce it...somewhat.....you have to work at it a bit. However, it's nicer than any built-in flash that I've ever used.

You can use manual control in video (I don't use the video - yet). The E-PL1 can be used with the external viewfinder (incl same evf as E-P2). The EPL1 goes to 1/2000 shutter speed vs. 1/4000 for the EP1 (not a deal-breaker for me).

It is a tiny bit smaller than the E-P1 and a few ounces lighter. It feels almost the same to me. The 14-42 kit lens is more compact - image quality about the same as E-P1 kit lens. The controls/buttons, etc. are different.....hard to explain - but check out PJ's video - and take a look at the website below for comparisons.

Check out this "comparometer." Choose the E-P1 and E-PL1 - you can see photos of both cameras, sample images, and reviews side by side, easy to compare.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Liz

Thanks again Liz you make the E-PL1 sound almost like a better camera that the EP-1. I like the fact it is smaller and lighter. Thanks for the link too. I will check it out. Do you use the IS much?

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Thanks again Liz you make the E-PL1 sound almost like a better camera that the EP-1. I like the fact it is smaller and lighter. Thanks for the link too. I will check it out. Do you use the IS much?
    Actually, I like it better - and I do use the flash at times. I actually missed a flash on the E-P1. I do kids birthday, etc. parties in the evening sometimes - lights are turned out and the only light source is the "moving" candles on the cake as it's brought to the person.

I also find it easier to handle. Be sure to check the buttons (and lack of control wheels) on the comparometer site - as that is different. You can still control the camera manually - but it's a bit different. It's a little deeper into the menu than the E-P1, but once you get used to it, it's just as easy.

I leave the IS on all the time as I have a slight camera shake problem so it works better for me when I don't have to worry about camera shake - although it's slight.

I like the E-PL1 better (guess it sounds that way), but I think for the most part they are quite similar - and the rest is subjective and/or personal choice.

I'll be interested to see what you think after comparing the two cameras side by side. You might find something I've missed so far.

Liz

Well it looks very much like the deal is going through on the other site. I have sold several film items without getting completely out of film. It looks like I am getting an EP-1 with a 17mm 2.8 with the optical finder. If nothing else it looks cool and much like my Leica with the optical finder. The camera is new in the box and almost half of retail. I hope it ain't hot.LOL

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Well it looks very much like the deal is going through on the other site. I have sold several film items without getting completely out of film. It looks like I am getting an EP-1 with a 17mm 2.8 with the optical finder. If nothing else it looks cool and much like my Leica with the optical finder. The camera is new in the box and almost half of retail. I hope it ain't hot.LOL
    Congratulations Greg!

The E-P1 is a beautiful camera. The 17mm/f2.8 lens is an excellent lens, also. Good choice - and it sounds like you really got a good deal. When are you getting it?

Everything about the E-P1/2/PL series is COOL IMO. The IQ is awesome. Some of my images from the E-P1 and E-PL1 are comparable to those shot with my Canon "L" lenses. I think you will be very pleased.

Liz

Thanks Liz. I should have it next week. I probably won't get a chance to use it before surgery time but I should get to soon after. I will try and get someone to bring it to me while I am at the hospital and if I feel like it I will shoot a few pictures of the place. I am not going to let anything like a hospital stay stop me. I sure sold some stuff to get it. I had to let my M3 go but I never really used it. I have an M6 and it has a built in meter where the M3 didn't. Good news is I still get to shoot film. For now anyway. I wasn't sure about a prime but I can always pick a zoom up later.

Sony a99/a7R

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Good choice, I'd have said Olympus hands down.
    Unless you want video then I'd say the GH-1 with the 14-140mm.

But from experience I wish I'd got the E-P2 not the E-P1.
    Your choice of lens and the finder is a good idea I think.
    I want the E-P2 EVF but will probably hold out for an E-P3 with folding screen and faster AF.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks Paul that makes me feel better. I know you do your research
    , you too Liz. All of your advise helped because I was looking at a GF-1 as well.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information