Week one with Olympus E-M5: words and images

The camera arrived on Wednesday, April 18th. E-M5 in black, with the 12-50 lens and HLD-6 grip. Like everyone else that pre-ordered, I was very excited when the package finally arrived. Unfortunately, I had been sick throughout that week so I wasn't able to experiment as much as I'd hoped.

The first week I spent trying out settings, the new kit lens, working out the ergonomic differences between my trusty E-P3 and the E-M5, trying to replicate as closely as possible my setup. There were a few surprises and new things to learn. And there were even two calls to Olympus tech support. Those folks at Olympus are very helpful, and it's a big plus to have a support number you can call, get through to a real person, and have them seem genuinely interested in trying to answer your questions or solve your problems with the camera.

The surprises:
    - With the kit 12-50 zoomed in, the E-M5's LCD preview is darker in low light than on my E-P3 with the exact same lens, zoom and f-stop. Adjustment of brightness doesn't seem to improve the low-light performance or visibility. It appears that the LCD's exposure adjustment in preview is clamped to about 1.0-1.5 stops on the bright end in low light and is overall about 2-3 stops darker than the actual image based on current exposure value. So even when dialing the exposure compensation up 3 stops high, the LCD display still appears too dark, and significantly darker than the actual image captured at those values. Also the color desaturates. All this contributes to challenges when composing in low-light with the 12-50. The EVF is closer to actual exposure results but is still darker than the same settings and lens values when using my E-P3 with the accessory VF-2. Other lenses such as the Oly 45, or Pany 20 or Oly 9-18 do not exhibit this clamped preview characteristic. Tech support was able to go through their camera and lens set-up, replicate mine and confirmed this problem. Perhaps this will make it into a firmware update.
    - The E-M5's max 1/250th sync speed doesn't drive the FL36R and FL-50R flashes to that same speed. MU-43 Forum Thread Here.
    - During a bicycle jump jam, shooting primarily in burst mode at 10fps, I was able to capture ~2500 images before the only battery died. Looking forward to a second battery, but man - that's a lot of image capture. In typical use though the battery lasts predictably on par with the E-P3 battery.

New things:
    - It took a little experimentation to get the E-M5's EVF to configure to my liking.
    - Shooting in 10fps mode was a blast
    - the 12-50 is a great walk around lens in dusty/wet conditions, it'll great when I head to Black Rock desert this summer; but it's not as sharp as I'd like and the f6.3 limit at 50mm is constraining. Overall though, it's a good lens in daylight conditions, or with additional lighting like a flash.
    - the little attachment flash works great for triggering both my FL-36R and FL-50R. Cool.

Overall, I'm thoroughly smitten by the E-M5. It is great to handle, and even with the accessory grip/battery holder attached, it is still so much smaller than typical DSLR. At Sea Otter Classic last weekend, three folks asked if they could handle the camera. And at the Jump Jam, John Shafer, the lead reviewer at Photography Review was all over the camera, and wanting to actually snap some images, as the pre-review unit they received didn't have a battery. But sadly, my battery was already kaput. John asked me to pen a review for their site.

This is a remarkable camera. I haven't had this much fun shooting since my old Canon FN days when processing and film was still affordable. My E-P3 will be a great second body, and make it into tight backpacks on mountain bike rides. But the E-M5 will be the shooter most any other scenario.

Images to follow.

Re: Week one with Olympus E-M5: words and images

Handheld Canon FD 300. Viewfinder image stabilization? Magic!

Playing with fire at a BB Gun/BBQ/Bonfire

Jump Jam @ Aptos Post Office Jump Track \ 10fps burst = most excellent. 12-50? not as sharp as a prime.

Check out the full series of this flip on my flickr photostream.

Here's a shot that is just a tad too soft from the 12-50. I predict it'll be a great crappy condition snap-shooting lens.

Another handheld 300 Canon FD shot. And again, the viewfinder's image stabilization is remarkable, along with the 5-axis IS set to the focal length of the lens.

Dramatic effect? I like it. Not everyday, but it'll have it's uses.

Birds and flowers. Handheld 300 Canon FD. Flat, dull lighting, in overcast mid-day skies, but it's all I had. IS works.

Liz

Thank you!!!!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed your detailed review of the E-M5. I learned quite a bit from your experience - as always personal reviews of real life situations are extremely helpful. I especially appreciated your review since I own the E-P3. I'm very tempted to get this camera, but since I am a bit "technically challenged" I think I will wait for a while - until all the bugs are discovered - and fixed.

Thanks too for the images representing a variety of subjects and situations.

I will re-read your thread as it contains a lot of good information - and your comments and "comparison" using the E-P3 is much appreciated (by me). :thumbsup:

Keep posting and updating! Thanks.

Liz

Thanks for the compliments Liz!

I'll find some image themes to post as they start accumulating.

Cheers,

Coop

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Thank you!!!!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed your detailed review of the E-M5. I learned quite a bit from your experience - as always personal reviews of real life situations are extremely helpful. I especially appreciated your review since I own the E-P3. I'm very tempted to get this camera, but since I am a bit "technically challenged" I think I will wait for a while - until all the bugs are discovered - and fixed.

Thanks too for the images representing a variety of subjects and situations.

I will re-read your thread as it contains a lot of good information - and your comments and "comparison" using the E-P3 is much appreciated (by me). :thumbsup:

Keep posting and updating! Thanks.

Liz

Thread Information