Thread: E-PL1 or E-P2

E-PL1 or E-P2

So I'm taking a hard look at the two and hoping to get some comparison thoughts. Anybody?

I notice that most people are using the e-pl1, so I'm guessing most answers will say the e-p2 is not worth the extra money, but throwing it out there anyway. For me, the e-p2 control dials and faster shutter speed are important, and the e-pl1's on-board flash is not much of a selling point.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: E-PL1 or E-P2

Like any camera purchase, looking at both the tech specs and how it handles. If you don't like the interface, you won't use it that often.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Agreed. As far as specs go, the two are quite similar. Handling probably goes to the e-p2, but e-pl1 didn't exactly feel bad in my hands.

I was just curious as to other people's experiences with either one, or both, for things I maybe can't learn from a spec sheet...or maybe considerations I might have overlooked.

I've got both cameras and I only use the E-PL1. The E-P2 controls and feel are better but I find it doesn't matter that much. I think I end up using the E-PL1 because it's smaller and lighter and therefore easier to carry.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I ended up going with the E-P2. Luckily, I had a chance to use both for a day and in the end, the E-P2 controls won out. I felt I was able to make adjustments faster and keep my head up more, and that was the most important difference. The faster shutter is nice to have just in case, but it hasn't matter much yet.

Still a hard choice though, since the E-PL1 actually handled just as well, owed in no small part to the more protrusive (and in my opinion, better) grip. The lighter weight was noticeable, but nothing to drastic. I'd honestly recommend the E-PL1 over the E-P2 to a stranger.

Liz

Congratulations! Both cameras are great. I'm sure you will enjoy this beautiful camera. Post some pics when you get a chance.

Enjoy!

Liz

Ditto on the congratulations. Please write a review after you've had a chance to use it a bit. Did you get the E-P2 kit that comes with the EVF? I've found I use the EVF a lot more than I expected.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I did get the EVF. When I was testing the cameras out before buying, I was outside in sunlight and realized the EVF was a necessity. I've also read it's helpful if I ever plan to use legacy lenses, for focusing purposes.

Is the EVF cheaper if you buy it with the EPL-1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by humpty
    Is the EVF cheaper if you buy it with the EPL-1 ?
    I'm unaware of an e-pl1 kit that includes the vf-2.

When I was shopping around, I found the e-p2 with 14-42 and vf-2 for around 750-800 (US $). The e-pl1 with only the 14-42 was just over 500, and the vf-2 costs around 250. So from what I saw, getting an e-p2 was just barely more expensive.

Considering the EP2 costs more than the EPL-1 by about $200, then the EP2 combo you mention seems discounted by at least $150. Hmm.

If you like shooting in manual I would think your best bet would be the EP-2. But if you don't then the EPL-1 would be your best option.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information