Taking E-PL1 To Mazatlan

Printable View

• 05-15-2010, 10:18 PM
    Photo-John
    Taking E-PL1 To Mazatlan
    I've made a big commitment. I'm leaving all my DSLR gear at home in favor of the E-PL1 when I go to Mazatlan next week. This is going to be a very interesting experiment and should make for good review material. I'm pretty comfortable with the E-PL1 - especially with the EVF. But it's definitely not as quick or versatile as a DSLR. On the other hand, I get to travel a lot lighter. I'm leaving my usual 25 pound camera backpack at home in favor of the E-PL1 with the kit lens, Four Thirds 40-150mm f/4-5.6 (with adapter), EVF and flash. All this fits in a little bag that I can put inside a new messenger/computer case I bought at REI today. I'm going to get traveling sooooo much lighter than usual!
  • 05-16-2010, 04:05 AM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Taking E-PL1 To Mazatlan
    Good luck John. That is a brave move. There is no way I could leave my E3 behind if there was any hope of doing a landscape shot. But if I knew I was only going to do street stuff I wouldn't think twice with the E-P-1.
  • 05-16-2010, 04:05 AM
    Liz
    Wow! That's a surprise! A happy one for those of us who have the E-PL1 - we'll get to see what this kit can do in the hands of a pro! I look forward to seeing the results - I'm sure they will be great.

And have fun! :thumbsup:

Liz
  • 05-16-2010, 12:13 PM
    digitalzed
    Can't wait to hear your opinion and see shots. Have a great time.
  • 05-24-2010, 02:24 PM
    Photo-John
    1 Attachment(s)
    The E-PL1 In Mazatlan
    So here's the Olympus gear I took to Mexico. That's it. There ain't no more. I was gonna take a tripod but I forgot. Oh well. I only missed having it once or twice. And traveling was a total breeze. One checked bag and one carryon that fit under the seat. Loved it.

I've got a Mazatlan photo thread going on the ViewFinder forum. I ended up taking most of my pictures with a Sony point-and-shoot because it was so convenient and inconspicuous. But I still got some solid use out of the Pen. I just added five photos from the E-PL1 to my original Mazatlan post:

Hola, From Mazatlan!

The E-PL1 photos are at the end of that thread. I've got a bunch more photos to sort and edit and then I'm going to write a short article on traveling with the Pen camera. Let me know if you've got any questions!