New Sony Alpha NEX Cameras

I spent the whole day reading through the press release and trying to put the new Sony NEX cameras into perspective. I can't really say how I feel about them yet. But I'm glad to have Sony in the compact system camera mix. They'll bring a lot of marketing and design money and that's gonna be good for this category.

Sony Alpha NEX Digital Cameras Announcement >>

What do you guys think? Is the Sony announcement important? Anyone here interested in buying one?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Katherine

Re: New Sony Alpha NEX Cameras

Sounds interesting and another company like Sony can only be good. The 7fps is appealing and the Sweep Panaramic mode sounded really cool when I first read about it on the HX1. But personally, I'm not having any buyer's remorse.

On a side note, thanks for putting all that together. I started to go try and research it some, but then I saw your reply that you were writing an aricle for us. I really do love that I can just come here for reliable, concise information and announcements, instead of trying to troll the web and slog through 10 other websites.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I'm very interested in the NEX camera's. I've been waiting for an APS-C competitor to micro 4:3 systems. I really wanted something more portable than my DSLR. I'm only afraid that if I get one of these things that my DSLR is going to see even less action than it does now (which is not much).

I do wish I could get AF with at least SSM a-mount lenses. I'm thinking I could go with the NEX 3 with kit 18-55 e-mount lens, use my a-mount 11-18 with adapter, and then toss in the a-mount 30mm macro for use with adapter as well. I'm missing out on the long end, but I guess I'd just have to delegate that to the DSLR since it works beautifully with my SSM lens.

For me its as simple as "no viewfinder and flash" = "no buy".

Liz

Well, on first glance.....my initial thoughts.....totally subjective.

I think the camera is too small for some of the lenses - or the lenses are too big. IOW - personally I don't like the look. I love the more "retro" look of the PEN cameras - even the larger lenses look more balanced on the smaller E-PL1.

IBIS - no IBIS is a deal breaker for me especially on such a small body

Flash and/or hotshoe - after using the E-PL1 with a flash that can actually be bounced - and includes a hotshoe - another deal breaker.

Optional VF - I'm considering this for my E-PL1. However, I haven't read enough to know if this is an option with the NEX.

Conclusion: I think this camera needs a few more upgrades/developments. However, I think it is a wonderful first "shot" by Sony.

Liz

Ibis?

What is IBIS, Liz? It's funny to me that I am supposed to be the expert. But you guys keep coming up with terms I've never heard of
    Photo-John

Considering all the features we have been getting in cameras for the past decade or so and taking them for granted, I find it absurd that we're in a point when starting all over again and talking about the availability of viewfinders, hotshoe, and flashes. Camera manufacturers are taking us for a ride because now we're required to pay more for less, and keep on doing it until they come up with advanced models that include those same old features. Well, for me its the other way around, come up with something convenient and I'll buy it.
    Last edited by Asmarlak; 05-12-2010 at 07:39 AM.

Re: Ibis?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    What is IBIS, Liz? It's funny to me that I am supposed to be the expert. But you guys keep coming up with terms I've never heard of
    IBIS= In Body Image Stabilization. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    IBIS= In Body Image Stabilization. - TF
    Thanks, OldClicker

And yes, Liz. I do agree that it would be nice if these cameras had "IBIS." However, I expect part of the reason they've been able to make them so thin, is they didn't go that route. It's likely also part of the reason the lenses look so big. They have to be a little bigger to make room for the mechanics of the optical image stabilization system. The looks don't bother me, though. I really only care about performance. I'll admit, I do love the look and feel of the Olympus E-P1 and E-P2. But that's not what ultimately makes me love a camera.
    Photo-John

Well, put IS in the body. Put in the lens. So long as I'm getting it I don't really mind how it's implemented. I'm not a fan of EVF, but it appears it wasn't included (along with built in flash or IBIS) is so they could claim the title of smallest camera in the class. The accessory port seems to have many talents (optional OVF, mini flash, microphone attachments), so perhaps they'll have an EVF for it in the future?

The looks don't bother me, though. I really only care about performance. I'll admit, I do love the look and feel of the Olympus E-P1 and E-P2. But that's not what ultimately makes me love a camera.
    My sentiments exactly.

Not that I'd use their SW, but it appears Sony's included SW for the NEX camera's still does not support 64-bit OS! C'mon Sony! Get with the program!

drg

There is Flash!

Sony didn't leave out flash capability. It is even included and ships with the camera. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and look what is included 'In the Box'.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...specifications

There's also specs as to modes of flash control and sync info as well as a listed recycle time of 4 seconds.

I had seen this noted in a review of the camera from a tester who had a 'pre-release' model. No evaluation of how well the Guide no 7 (barely closeup fill) unit works or exactly how it mounts. But it is included which means more powerful units are all ready 'speced' if any one makes them or not, well ??!!

With a 16mm lens, who needs any kind of IS? Really, you can hand hold a shot at dusk almost anywhere at 1/30th and ISO 400 with this 2.8 lens. Good technique and even better is possible lower ISO slower shutter, stopped down Ap etc.

Add that vari-angle display and the larger sensor, this could be a winner. One great lens choice and this size of camera could give m4/3 a real run for the money.

If I'm going to spend this kind of money for a camera, I want a really great image at some setting combo's and if there are compromises well, so are there with a FF metal body pro-DSLR sprouting a suitable 2.8 (or faster) lens!

The VF issue is almost moot anymore. I've been an advocate of them until I realized how much I don't really use one with a camera with either live view or a movable/tiltable screen/EVF. When I use a P/S that has such a screen I'm not worried at all about parallax, I just frame and shoot. Done.

Finally, again, the larger sensor may be the 'biggest' factor in how well this camera will perform in the only true evaluation factor, does it make great photographs?
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Liz

Well, I'm usually the one on the other side of the question!

You're question was already answered in the above post - In body Image Stablization. I know because I did a lot of googling and research before I purchased the E-P1 - and couldn't forget it because I was so enthralled with this feature! This is the biggest reason I went for the E-620 vs going back to a Canon dslr.

Liz

Liz

Thanks, OldClicker

And yes, Liz. I do agree that it would be nice if these cameras had "IBIS." However, I expect part of the reason they've been able to make them so thin, is they didn't go that route. It's likely also part of the reason the lenses look so big. They have to be a little bigger to make room for the mechanics of the optical image stabilization system. The looks don't bother me, though. I really only care about performance. I'll admit, I do love the look and feel of the Olympus E-P1 and E-P2. But that's not what ultimately makes me love a camera.
    IBIS - Since I have a slight camera shake problem, and don't want to have to rely on making sure the lenses have IS, it is a dealbreaker for me.

IQ and performance are still most important to me - and I too would give up the other features if the Sony performed better and had better IQ - but not without IBIS.

I didn't read too much about the cameras, so missed the flash option part. I use my E-PL1 for my every day camera and once in a while need an onboard flash for evening birthday parties for kids when the lights are turned off - and the only available light are the candles on the cake. And I love the fact the flash can be bounced - takes the harshness out of the images. It's a great feature.

At any rate, I think the NEX cameras are quite interesting and a breakthrough - and hopefully the competition will only bring the other manufacturers to another level......and less expensive prices.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Well, I'm usually the one on the other side of the question!

You're question was already answered in the above post - In body Image Stablization. I know because I did a lot of googling and research before I purchased the E-P1 - and couldn't forget it because I was so enthralled with this feature! This is the biggest reason I went for the E-620 vs going back to a Canon dslr.

Liz
    I don't think I had ever seen the term before you started to use it here. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Strange that Sony bought Konica/Minolta who had IBIS years ago in the A1 and A2 cameras.
    Then decided not to use sensor shift stabilisation in the NEX range.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Strange that Sony bought Konica/Minolta who had IBIS years ago in the A1 and A2 cameras.
    Then decided not to use sensor shift stabilisation in the NEX range.
    I see a couple of reasons:

- I think Sony lost their shirt on 'Minolta' (A700 and A900) and will continue moving away from that legacy. Both excellent cameras, but I don't think they sold well. Now they have the chance to develop and sell a true digital system without the bagage of the film SLRs including a digital lens mount.

- As I have shown in other forums here, this is a major reason for no IBIS - video.

http://blog.discover.sonystyle.com/s...in-development

TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Sorry, but I first saw these in a Henry's ad this morning in the Toronto Star. My first thought was "what a butt ugly camera" it looks real awkward to handle, and looks unbalanced. The lens is too big for the camera body, and the body looks flimsy.

Plus yeah, no flash, no view finder....and no expansion to add either.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Professional Photographer

I think that it's definitely a step in the right direction, although for me there are several issues. I use flash a lot, for almost everything.
    Whether it's on camera flash, or off camera flash, I tend to use flash, so I need to have a hot shoe on my camera.
    I also need something better than 1/160 for flash sync.
    I tend to look through the viewfinder a lot, even on smaller cameras. Not totally stoked with just a screen on the back.
    Also it has a bulb mode, but is there a programmable remote shutter release for it so that you can set your shutter time? I haven't heard anything mentioned about one, and I'm sure it doesn't accept a standard cable release.

As I said it seems like it is definitely a step in the right direction, but I'll be waiting until someone actually makes one that has the features that I need.
    Ian Hylands
    "some photos are worth more than a thousand words"
    website and blog www.ianhylands.com

Quote Originally Posted by Axle
    Sorry, but I first saw these in a Henry's ad this morning in the Toronto Star. My first thought was "what a butt ugly camera" it looks real awkward to handle, and looks unbalanced. The lens is too big for the camera body, and the body looks flimsy.

Plus yeah, no flash, no view finder....and no expansion to add either.
    There is an expansion slot to allow for flash and a view finder. I think Sony will release the EVF later on. As far as flash goes, its included with the NEX 3 and 5..
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by LightBright
    There is an expansion slot to allow for flash and a view finder. I think Sony will release the EVF later on. As far as flash goes, its included with the NEX 3 and 5..
    I believe that it would be flash OR viewfinder.

I think that this will be an interesting line up. I have seen EVIL (WITH a viewfinder) as the future of APS for quite some time with the DSLR becoming high end only and mainly FF.

TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

I love the new wave of these small SLR-types of cameras, very exciting, but I keep asking myself, would I be better off than I am with my current Nikon D40? When I pop off the grip and remove the flash and put on the 35mm 1.8, I have a very small camera with a larger sensor than micro 4/3, a viewfinder, a pop-up flash, and great low light performance. I have fairly good ISO performance. Granted, I have less MPs and no video, but those are not my general concerns. I don't print larger than 8x10, and I don't go 8x10 very often.

I'm somewhat considering selling my gear, including the D40, a point and shoot, a small super zoom, and a camcorder, and maybe looking into one "universal" camera for a hobbyist such as myself- something portable that I can grab and go and yet get good pictures, better than point-and-shoot quality, and in many situations. I am looking at this Sony line as well as the Olympus line, but then I think about my D40 and wonder if I don't already have what I'm looking for…
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

Olympus E-PL1

Feel free to edit my photos!

That camera looks intriguing, no doubt. Higher ISO performance with this sensor (in theory, waiting for more test images with all lenses) would mean less need for a flash, but, the option is still there for one that is of the same power as the pop-up flashes on it's rivals...

Similar higher ISO performance would negate the need for IBIS, as the 2-3 stops this normally provides could just be attained by a higher ISO setting, if it lives up to the hype in this area...

The viewfinder, that one is a tough one for me. I really, really like having that option, especially on bright days or places where I want to shut out everything and focus on my composition. The 16mm lens will ship with an optical view finder, cool. But no options yet for the other lenses... Shouldn't be a big deal for additional primes, but is more of an issue for zooms. I have yet to find an EVF I like.... I'm sure this will change when the technology is there, but....

The use of Flash or VF doesn't seem to be a big deal to me, but could be for some. For me, if it's dark enough to need/want a flash, the live view will look good. If it's bright enough to need a viewfinder instead of live view, I don't need the flash, and would probably use a reflector or something else if I needed some shadow fill, etc...

Looks like they'll even have a decent working solution to use the older Minolta and Sony A-Mount lenses soon...

Anyway, I like the options. Now we just need some production versions and real world usage examples to see how it does... ;)

It's cool, but isn't weather sealed and has no macro lenses announced.

Not that m4/3 has that at the moment either, but I'll wait for someone to do it. The sensor size is irrelevant - the 4/3 sensor is very powerful and BOTH APS and 4/3 sensors in EVIL format are limited by lenses...

The real deficit in EVIL systems right now is lenses. We have almost a dozen cameras, and only half as many lens options. And they are ALL standard grade. I'm waiting for pro-grade, fast lenses and sealed bodies. To be honest, the size doesn't matter if you can't take it with you because it's susceptible to water or lacks IQ because of average lenses.

In short, I'll get excited about new cameras when we get new lenses. Until then, it's all just another spec sheet.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Thread Information