Suggestions for a CSC??

I am ready to take a first step into a CSC camera. I have done quite a bit of "shopping". I have considered Olympus OM D, Sony NEX 7, Nikon V1, Canon GX-1, Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic G3. You will notice that they all have a view finder and a built in flash, which are must have features for me. I am leaning toward the Panasonic G3 because it seems to have all of the features of the other cameras, but since it is a 2011 model the price is about 60% of the others.The GX-1 has a fixed lens. Why are they calling it a CSC? I have compared specs on the GH2 and G3 and see very little difference.

I would like someone with more experience than me to offer an opinion on my leaning.

Thanks for any advice, Jim
    Last edited by hawkeye62; 04-18-2012 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Typo

Re: Suggestions for a CSC??

For a lot less money, you can probably pick up an Olympus E-PL2, with the VF-2 viewfinder. Are you against buying used? Does the EVF have to be permanently part of the camera?
    Olympus E-P1
    Olympus E-PL2
    14-42mm, 11-22mm

http://guzziknight.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by guzziknight View Post
    For a lot less money, you can probably pick up an Olympus E-PL2, with the VF-2 viewfinder. Are you against buying used? Does the EVF have to be permanently part of the camera?
    Thanks for your reply. I would much rather have a built in view finder. I have looked at various Olympus EP models, but adding the view finder jumps the price pretty high.

The G3 I am considering is new at Amazon. it comes with a 14-42 mm, f3.5-5.6 Vario lens for $618 and free shipping.

Thanks again, Jim

I have the NEX 7 and can tell you it is sweet. But if you are one that needs a lot of lenses the new Olympus would be better. I never cared much for previous Olympus Pens but the OM-5 is going to be a good one.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Normally I don't point to reviews on other sites but this one seems to be fairly objective, plus it's about the NEX-7 which is probably the best (and most expensive) CSC

NEX-7 Six Month On

Afterthought: I'm not suggesting that Greg is not objective. In fact the guy on Luminous Landscape mentions some of the points about the viewfinder that Greg has already talked about elsewhere.
    We had a lot of discussion about CSC's last year when we were trying to pick the Camera of the Year 2011. It was a quiet year for DSLR's (unlike 2012)
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I meant to say EM-5 not OM-5. I did use my Summicron 50mm Leica on the NEX 7 and wasn't thrilled with the results. Ricoh and Samsung are also in the game and I think the Samsung is a bit under rated. My son uses the NEX 5n and it really is a great camera too.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I saw Samsung NX1000 and NX20 are released last week.

I think NX20(with EV) is the best CSC now. but It is not released in the market yet.

Thread Information