Thread: Live View ????

JimB

Live View ????

Hi,

After many years looking through a view finder and so used to doing it I find the "live view" really hard to deal with and use. I have tried with my G-1 and with my D-90 and I just can't seem to adapt. The view finder and the EVF of the G-1 was the main reason that I chose it for my secondary camera instead of the EP-1 that was recomended by LIZ.

The times that I tried the it just did not feel right and the images on the screen just do not look right to me until I look through the view finder. And I seem to or imagine that I have camera shake.

Are any of you had or, having trouble adapting using live view with your live view only cameras???

Jim

Re: Live View ????

When do you use it? I love it - but only when I'm working on a tripod. I find it most valuable for the studio. I do almost all of my studio photography now with Live View. There are two real benefits - being able to zoom in for precise focus; and not having to squat down to see through the viewfinder - especially if I have a camera with a tilt-swivel LCD. But I wouldn't use it without a tripod. You will get more camera shake and I don't think it's as efficient when working handheld.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I am like PJ. Most often if I am on a tripod I will use LV on the E3. But for the EP-1 I use the OVF and most of my street shots are what I call are hip shots. Looking at nothing.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

JimB

Sorry for not getting back to you. I have tried using tripods and monopods and hand held, and I still do not like the results. It is probably my imagination that I think there is some camera shake or movement with the tripod, but there is definatly motion with the monopod and when I hand hold the camera. But it does not seem right or feel right using the live view.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB
    Sorry for not getting back to you. I have tried using tripods and monopods and hand held, and I still do not like the results. It is probably my imagination that I think there is some camera shake or movement with the tripod, but there is definatly motion with the monopod and when I hand hold the camera. But it does not seem right or feel right using the live view.
    Camera companies put a lot of features in cameras so they can try to please as many people as possible with each model. Just because a feature is there doesn't mean you have to like or use it. Use what is useful to you and ignore the rest. It's good to experiment to find out if you like something new. But just because I like it doesn't mean you should. As I said, I have found Live View very, very useful. But there are lots of camera features that other people use that I never will. If Live View isn't comfortable or useful for you, don't worry about it
    Photo-John

I use liveview only when the camera is near something where I don't want to have my face , ie: mud

Live View Quick Poll

I realized this was a great subject for a new Quick Poll. Thanks for the inspiration, Jim!

Please vote:

DSLR users - how much do you use Live View?

Thanks in advance for voting and thanks again for the great Quick Poll idea, Jim. It has been a while since I posted a fresh Quick Poll
    Photo-John

Thread Information