Which should I buy for E-PL1?

Looks like I can buy one or the other in a few weeks, not enough cash for both. Either then Olympus 40mm-150mm lens with the micro 4/3 adaptor, or the VF-2 electronic viewfinder. I have the stock E-PL1 with the stock 14mm-42mm lens.

Does anyone have both and an opinion as to which I should get first? I do a combination of indoor/outdoor photogrpahy, standard stuff. I will get the second item in about 2 months, so which do you think I'd use and enjoy more if bought first?

Thanks in advance!
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

Olympus E-PL1

Feel free to edit my photos!

Re: Which should I buy for E-PL1?

I would go for the VF-2 myself. The 40-150mm would be huge on a m4/3rd camera and I read the adapter slows an already slow lens.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Sorry my mind-reading skills are not that good
    Personally, I want the VF-2.
    Then a longer lens.
    Then a wider lens.

Looking at all the photos I took this year, I use the GH-1 more than the E-P1 because it has a traditional eye level finder and not the screen on the back.
    I tried the E-PL1 and E-P2 with the VF-2 at Park Cameras last weekend and the VF-2 is definitely worth it for me.
    I grew up with 35mm and automatically grab the camera and bring it to my eye, swear, and hold the E-P1 at arms length because I'm long sighted.
    I can not work with the rear screen and assess focus, the blur might help composition though by removing distracting detail

I use the GH-1 tilt/swivel screen for low shots, and the E-P1 I have to lay on the ground (and creak & groan getting up again) so until there's an E-P3 with til/tswivel screen the tilt function on the VF-2 will have to do.

But I also want the upcoming 300mm zoom lens, because the Panasonic 45-200 isn't long enough.
    I really want a longer lens for the micro 4/3 systems.
    I tried the 4/3 bigma with the 4/3 adaptor on my GH-1 and E-P1 and was disappointed with the AF performance. Only 50% of the shots were in focus, on either camera.

Now with the new 300mm zooms, I'm going to have to test them.
    Olympus 75-300 f/4.8-6.7 £760
    Panasonic 100-300 f/4-5.6 OIS £500
    Higher price for smaller aperture, lower price for OIS and larger aperture.
    What to do?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks guys! I was leaning towards the VF-2. I will go with that, I'm still not used to using the rear screen and I think I'll get more actual use out of the viewfinder.
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

Olympus E-PL1

Feel free to edit my photos!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by havana_joe
    Thanks guys! I was leaning towards the VF-2. I will go with that, I'm still not used to using the rear screen and I think I'll get more actual use out of the viewfinder.
    You made the right choice IMO. I haven't taken mine off - just love it. It's so much more fun using the camera! :thumbsup:

Liz

Sorry, I posted this comment in the wrong thread and don't know how to remove it.

Few months ago I bought the 12-60mm thinking that (24mm equiv.) is enough for shooting architecture and at the same time replaces my 14-54mm which was not enough wide-angle. I put it up for auction on Ebay if anyone would like to get it, its and excellent lens. Here is the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_505wt_1127
    Last edited by Asmarlak; 12-06-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Thread Information