• 01-03-2010, 09:24 PM
    rubeel
    Samsung Officially Launches NX10 'Hybrid DSLR' (Challenge to MFT)
    A challenge to MFTs

Instead the NX10 remains small (121.9 x 86.3 x 40.6mm, body only), though actually slightly larger than the Micro Four Thirds models we have seen to date. On the upside, however, Samsung has pulled the stops out with a 14.6MP APS-C CMOS sensor, 100 - 3200 ISO, an electronic viewfinder, built in pop-up flash and 3in OLED display. Its new DRIMe II Pro engine powers the show and there's 720p High Definition video recording with HDMI output.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10423257-1.html

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2357587,00.asp
  • 01-04-2010, 08:31 PM
    Photo-John
    1 Attachment(s)
    Re: Samsung Officially Launches NX10 'Hybrid DSLR' (Challenge to MFT)
    Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately, this is how I found out about the announcement :(

After I read your post I squeezed my contacts for as much info as I could get, did some comparing and pondering and then wrote this report on the Samsung NX10:

Samsung NX10 - Micro Four Thirds Alternative >>

The NX10 has the potential to be a really big deal. Micro Four Thirds has been more popular than I expected and, at least on paper, the Samsung camera takes the same concept to an even higher level. I'm interested in what other people think and I'm curious to find out if the camera lives up to its promise. I think Samsung has a hard sell here. But if they play their cards right, this could be a very, very good thing for them.
  • 01-05-2010, 06:37 AM
    OldClicker
    Everyone is going to have to learn to say DSL pretty soon.

Another lens mount, though??? Don't Samsung and Panasonic have some kind of partnership? How about Samsung and another (Sony, Canon, Nikon)? These three still have to come out with an EVF lens-mount. There is a lot of speculation that Sony will take their APS-C lines to EVF and have only Full Frame OVF (for now).

TF
  • 01-05-2010, 11:37 AM
    rubeel
    I think samsung should have come out with a platform where either users can use existing Nikon/Canon/Sony mounts with such hybrids, what works for MFT is that it is compatible with four thirds lens, so it provides some sort of variety of lens if the user needs it. for samsung to go alone on this might be troublesome unless they decide to work out some way of adapting to some camera system, be it Nikon, Canon or Sony
  • 01-05-2010, 02:30 PM
    Greg McCary
    Maybe they intend to come out with some sort of adapter for the different mounts. If they go it alone it could hurt sells. But like PJ wrote. If they do it right with a good AF system and good IQ it could take off.
  • 01-05-2010, 03:46 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Maybe they intend to come out with some sort of adapter for the different mounts. If they go it alone it could hurt sells. But like PJ wrote. If they do it right with a good AF system and good IQ it could take off.

They are going to make a Pentax K-mount adaptor. Pentax is the other manufacturer that Samsung had a partnership with, so they're obviously hoping for some loyalty from Pentax users. As far as other adaptors, anyone could make them. There are already at least 4 manufacturers that I can think of that are making various lens adaptors for the Micro Four Thirds cameras.

I kind of feel like adaptors defeat the purpose of the camera, though. I like the E-P1 but it feels like a lame compromise when I use the Four Thirds adaptor to use the Zuiko 12-60mm lens. It's an awesome lens. But when I put it on the E-P1 I feel like I might as well just use the E-620. The same will probably be true with the NX10. Unless there are small, dedicated lenses, what's the point?
  • 01-06-2010, 04:32 AM
    Greg McCary
    It doesn't say anything about IS? I was thinking more on the line of putting a Panasonic m4/3rd lens on it than a big 12-60mm. I saw a picture of a EP-1 on a tripod with a huge lens and adapter on it and yes it was quite funny.
  • 01-06-2010, 12:34 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    It doesn't say anything about IS? I was thinking more on the line of putting a Panasonic m4/3rd lens on it than a big 12-60mm. I saw a picture of a EP-1 on a tripod with a huge lens and adapter on it and yes it was quite funny.

I used the 12-60mm lens on the E-P1 because I have that adaptor and it's a great lens. But I do wish there was a dedicated Micro Four Thirds lens of the same caliber. The Samsung has optical image stabilization - in other words, it's in the lens. So if you want image stabilization, that makes the lens issue even more tricky.
  • 01-06-2010, 05:42 PM
    Greg McCary
    I hope you get a chance to use and review one of these John.