Panasonic Announces G3 Micro Four Thirds Camera

Panasonic announced a new Micro Four Thirds camera this morning. The G3 has a 16-megapixel sensor, a built-in EVF, tilt-swivel touch screen LCD, full HD video, and a bunch of new performance features. I really dug into the details on this one and I came out impressed. I think it's about time I get my hands on a Panasonic M43 camera again!

Panasonic Lumix G3 Camera Announcement >>

What do you guys think? Are you over built-in electronic viewfinders on compact system cameras? How about the touch screen LCD?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Panasonic Announces G3 Micro Four Thirds Camera

I think it is a nice addition to the line up. The swivel screen looks good. I like the finder.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Panasonic announced a new Micro Four Thirds camera this morning. The G3 has a 16-megapixel sensor, a built-in EVF, tilt-swivel touch screen LCD, full HD video, and a bunch of new performance features. I really dug into the details on this one and I came out impressed. I think it's about time I get my hands on a Panasonic M43 camera again!

Panasonic Lumix G3 Camera Announcement >>

What do you guys think? Are you over built-in electronic viewfinders on compact system cameras? How about the touch screen LCD?
    Wow! My first question is how much does it weigh? I'm just wondering because it looks small, but does the tilt-swivel screen and the built-in EVF, flash etc add much weight?

Viewfinder: I love using the VF-2 on both my E-PL2 and XZ-1 cameras. I don't know what I'd do without one now. I didn't know how much I missed a VF until I got this one - I don't even mind the size. If the G3 EVF is as good as the VF-2, it would work for me.

Regarding the touch screen, I'm in limbo here. I've never used a touch screen, even on an Ipod or cell phone. I still prefer the buttons/clicks and all the rest that goes with them. However, this is coming from someone who never tried one.

My comments are just personal opinion about a camera that I wouldn't consider purchasing, only because I love my E-PL2. I love the image quality, the art filters among other features - and the feel. I also like the look of the E-PL2 much better than the G3 - the G3 reminds me of a tiny dslr - not that there is anything wrong with that! Just personal preference.

Liz

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Well that's stopped my buying a GH-2, I'll wait for a GH-3.
    EVF generally need improvement in speed and resolution, this might be adequate.
    Currently they're barely suitable for action photography, particularly in low light.
    Put the camera in burst mode and often they black out while shooting.

Don't get me started ranting about touch screens, they're a definite minus feature.
    At least when you get to my age, or are unlucky enough to lost focus adaption in your eye.
    There is absolutely no way I can use a touch screen without wearing close-up glasses.
    In which case I can't see the world around me, except as a coloured blur.
    So it's totally impractical for me.
    Just keep the articulated screen and take off all the toys, they're mostly there for marketing bullet points anyhow, there was nothing really useful to me on the G2.

Touch AF is a liability, when I tried the GH-2 I hated it.
    If I inadvertently touch the screen (like with my nose) then AF is set somewhere at random and you may not even notice - I didn't. I'd have it turned off, or the screen permanently folded closed (face to body) so that it can not be touched accidentally. At which point why have an articulated screen you can't open for fear of screwing up the image?

Biggest feature I want is a mode dial lock.

Oh and please make the camera bigger.
    Yes, that's right.
    Make it big enough to hold without pressing random buttons and changing settings just by carrying it.
    Smaller is not better, unless you have small hands.

Make the EVF tilt like the VF-2 for Olympus, and take off the touch screen - it's a far more useful feature.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Ha ha! You need to post a retort to my article in the comments

Seriously. This is such a different point-of-view - and one based on more hands-on experience than I've had - that I think it warrants a comment post on the article page.

Smaller is always better for me. According to my glove size my hands are extra large. That always seems strange to me because I don't feel like I have big hands. And I don't have any problem with small cameras, either. If you want it bigger, why Micro Four Thirds? Seems like maybe you should just stick with an actual digital SLR. Or maybe take a closer look at the Sony A55?

Your touchscreen comments are what's most interesting to me. They all make perfect sense. My touchscreen experience has been limited to my phone and some point-and-shoot cameras. For those I've been very pleased (except typing with the iPhone - that's horrible). The *idea* of more precise focus point selection via the touchscreen is a great one. But if it actually causes more problems than it solves, as you've suggested, then I would likely be annoyed, too.

Thanks for the reply, Paul. It was a good one
    Photo-John

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I also wonder how precise the AF point setting can be on a touch screen when my finger is not transparent so I can not see what/where I'm touching.
    I'm having that problem with my folding notebook/tablet screen, flip it over, hold it like a tablet, and I can't see the button I'm trying to push, or the row in a list I'm trying to select, because my finger covers it.
    Totally frustrating.

I don't want the camera any smaller, the GH-1 and E-P1 are at the limit of comfortable use for me, and the XZ-1 is uncomfortable but I expect a compact to be a PITA.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I also wonder how precise the AF point setting can be on a touch screen when my finger is not transparent so I can not see what/where I'm touching.
    That's the problem I have when entering text on the iPhone. My fingers are bigger than the "buttons." That said, I'm still curious and want to see how well it works. I could see a system where you you press a spot on the screen and then use a joystick to fine-tune the positiion of the focus point.
    Photo-John

That's the problem I have when entering text on the iPhone. My fingers are bigger than the "buttons." That said, I'm still curious and want to see how well it works. I could see a system where you you press a spot on the screen and then use a joystick to fine-tune the positiion of the focus point.
    That has been my problem with all the m4/3rd offerings. I am actually thinking of going back to a Panasonic L1.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    That has been my problem with all the m4/3rd offerings. I am actually thinking of going back to a Panasonic L1.
    We were talking about touchscreen controls, Greg. What's the problem you've been having?
    Photo-John

We were talking about touchscreen controls, Greg. What's the problem you've been having?
    My hands are to big for the m4/3rd cameras. Like you I struggle with my smartphone screen. I am sure that I would struggle with a touch screen.
    I have had an EP-1 and EPL-1 and was always bumping the settings off and missing shots. I love the IQ of the m4/3rds. I just wish they were
    slightly larger. I had a Panasonic L1 and it handled great.

Sony a99/a7R

And I had people ask me why i hate the usability of the iPhone

the camera/touch screen will not get a good evaluation by us aficionados to good responsive dslr

I must admit. I really like the looks of this one. I think it would make a great street rod. Could be one in my future?
    I would like to see a unboxing video if you get your hands on one John.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information