Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

OM-D EM-5 vs ALMS

ALMS wins, pretty much.

Though the EM-5 acquits itself fairly well, it still suffers the huge problem of all EVF cameras that it goes blank while shooting.
    This makes shooting an action sequence in burst mode a lottery.
    While I wouldn't normally advocate spray and pray shooting, it is a huge issue when trying to capture a car spinning out of control (for example).

The C-AF and C-AF[TR] modes are not as good as might be expected from the hype.
    Expect about 1/2 second lock-on time for the continuous AF, so the first image in a burst is taken, then a gap, then the rest of the burst follows.
    Burst speed is a lottery too, if using the focus priority (not release priority) to ensure the images are in focus.

Hah - allegedly in focus!
    In SAF and CAF modes with Release priority off (so it should focus first and only shoot in focus) I have plenty of out of focus shots from today

Don't try to use it for BiF either, unless your panning is perfect and you never let the bird out of the focus rectangle. Oh and while acquiring the Bird in Flight the lens had better lock focus first time, because it can go so far out of focus that your subject simply vanishes in the EVF and you can't track it any more.

Strangely when trying to focus I got worse results tracking the subject with half pressed shutter button, and better simply mashing the shutter down while tracking in the centre focus point.
    I have no idea how well it would work using an off centre focus point. Maybe I will get brave and try that tomorrow.

The EM-5 is better than the E-P1 and better than the GH-1 with the same lenses and same subjects. Burst mode is better, faster, and writes to memory quicker.

Oh and battery life of the EM-5 using the EVF measured in the thousands of shots (using burst mode and not chimping) rather than hundreds, I filled two 16G memory cards of RAW images on only one battery in a two hour session.

Overall I think it was worth it, compared to my existing micro 4/.3 cameras, as an upgrade for sports. But not in the same league as a DSLR, pretty much as I expected.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Re: OM-D EM-5 vs ALMS

Paul from what I have been reading the E-M5 will be on par with a NEX 7, maybe Oly has the edge with in body stabilization but performance wise they sound close to the same. I think Sony has a much better adapter for A mount lenses on the E mount cameras as I really think my NEX 7 focuses faster with the adapter and an A mount lens than my a77 does. I read focus time for 4/3rd lenses was in the 1-1 1/2 second range.
    The NEX 7 is a great camera but there is not substitute for a DSLR. Not yet anyway. ALMS?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

ALMS - American Le Mans Series.
    Prototypes, GT cars in 6 classes all on track at the same time.
    The name of the game is clean overtaking and mechanical reliability for 2, 6 or 12 hour races.
    And no pit lane infringements; speed limit, hitting equipment, touching car during fuelling etc.
    Just a little slip by the pit crew can doom a driver to a stop and go penalty.
    PAul

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat View Post
    ALMS - American Le Mans Series.
    Prototypes, GT cars in 6 classes all on track at the same time.
    The name of the game is clean overtaking and mechanical reliability for 2, 6 or 12 hour races.
    And no pit lane infringements; speed limit, hitting equipment, touching car during fuelling etc.
    Just a little slip by the pit crew can doom a driver to a stop and go penalty.
    Thanks for the info Paul.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Sample image - click to link to Gallery at full resolution !

Full size you can clearly see the CA from the 100-300, while this is created from RAW via LR4.1 RC there were no adjustments in Lightroom.
    I didn't turn on the really cool automatic CA adjustment.

PAul

And here is a forum sized sample.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OM-D EM-5 vs ALMS-_1090937.jpg  
    PAul

And a night time example.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OM-D EM-5 vs ALMS-_1100405.jpg  
    PAul

Just Me

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Paul from what I have been reading the E-M5 will be on par with a NEX 7, maybe Oly has the edge with in body stabilization but performance wise they sound close to the same. I think Sony has a much better adapter for A mount lenses on the E mount cameras as I really think my NEX 7 focuses faster with the adapter and an A mount lens than my a77 does. I read focus time for 4/3rd lenses was in the 1-1 1/2 second range.
    The NEX 7 is a great camera but there is not substitute for a DSLR. Not yet anyway. ALMS?
    When it comes to Oly and Sony, the most important reason that made me sell my Nex-5n is that its images don't respond well to post processing especially colors, and that was more than enough reason for me to get a rid of it and stick to Olympus regardless of any other downside Oly cameras might have.

I haven't had any trouble adjusting colors but I have always preferred Olympus colors. The blues are more pleasent. With that the E-M5 missed WB on me a couple of times.

Sony a99/a7R

Just Me

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    I haven't had any trouble adjusting colors but I have always preferred Olympus colors. The blues are more pleasent. With that the E-M5 missed WB on me a couple of times.
    It is very common for a camera to miss WB every once in a while. I have no intention of buying the E-M5, I'm satisfied with my five year old E-510 and will not trade it for any other.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldb View Post
    It is very common for a camera to miss WB every once in a while. I have no intention of buying the E-M5, I'm satisfied with my five year old E-510 and will not trade it for any other.
    I had a 510 and loved it. It is a lot tougher than it is given credit.

Sony a99/a7R

Just Me

I think we get too much distracted by constantly looking for the perfect camera when there is no such thing as perfect. Every time I evaluate my options of weather I spend my money on a new camera or take a trip somewhere, I often end up traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldb View Post
    I think we get too much distracted by constantly looking for the perfect camera when there is no such thing as perfect. Every time I evaluate my options of weather I spend my money on a new camera or take a trip somewhere, I often end up traveling.
    That is not a bad idea. Now that I have the E-M5 I doubt I will be getting another mirrorless system. My son will be using my NEX 7 most of the time.
    The IQ of the E-M5 is superb. I wasn't sure Olympus would ever be this good at high ISO.
    It is easily as good as an may be slightly better than the NEX 7.
    I can't wait to see DXO marks.

Sony a99/a7R

It's capability and quality we need.
    Is the quality good enough? Yes, I think so.
    Does it have the capability to take the images I want? Yes, just.

If you want more quality then start using Leica lenses and MF.
    Wouldn't work well for me with motorsport, or with my budget.

Mind you I'm kicking myself for not getting the new 12-50 lens, I didn't relaise it had Macro and I could then sell the 14-42 with the stormtrooper EP-1

Here's a few nice examples ...
    The GetDPI Photography Forums - View Single Post - Fun with the Olympus OMD (scroll down a bit for the 25 f1.4 panaleica and Leica R 28-90)
    The GetDPI Photography Forums - View Single Post - Fun with the Olympus OMD (Leica 60 elmarit macro)
    As Jono says: "if you have some R lenses, they're actually rather gorgeous on the OMD"

The GetDPI Photography Forums - View Single Post - Fun with the Olympus OMD (Summilux 25/1.4)
    The GetDPI Photography Forums - View Single Post - Fun with the Olympus OMD (P-L Summicron 25/1.4)

The GetDPI Photography Forums - View Single Post - Fun with the Olympus OMD (Schneider APO Componon 90/4.5)

Or even Nikon!
    The GetDPI Photography Forums - View Single Post - Fun with the Olympus OMD (Nikkor 180/2.8 ED)
    PAul

Just Me

Thank you for posting those links, some amazing shots there. I can't deny that I'm tempted.

Thread Information