Thread: OM-D and 12-50

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

OM-D and 12-50

I decided to buy a second body for Goodwood Festival of Speed.
    This time I opened the wallet a little further and bought the kit with the lens.

I don't like the power zoom, and would rather have the macro without it.
    And I'd like to have a lens hood too!

But it's a pretty good lens, coupled with the fast AF I even got a BiF ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OM-D and 12-50-_6233492.jpg   OM-D and 12-50-_6233415.jpg   OM-D and 12-50-_6233432.jpg   OM-D and 12-50-_6233391.jpg   OM-D and 12-50-_6233384.jpg  

PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Re: OM-D and 12-50

I also don't like how the 12-50mm operates. half photography and half video. It is a great focal length though.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Nice little batch of OM-D photos there, Paul. I especially like the camera store shot

Although I wish the new 12-50mm was a micro Four Thirds version of the Four Thirds 12-60mm zoom, I found I quite liked it - and especially for video. The sliding toggle between power zoom and standard zoom confused me at first, though. At one point I thought maybe I broke it because the behavior changed so drastically. But using it for video was great. Between the EVF, the power zoom and the E-M5's improved continuous auto focus, I was able to actually use that camera and lens combo almost spontaneously for smooth video with zooms and continuous auto focus. I don't know if you guys saw it or not, but there's a bit in this "What's In My Camera Bag" video with wedding photographer David Terry (David Terry, Wedding Photographer – What’s In Your Camera Bag Video | Camera News & Reviews), where I pulled the zoom and used continuous AF and it totally worked. I was psyched!

I really want an E-M5. I think I would use it a ton. It would go on pretty much every mountain bike ride and day on the snow with me. But I am broke and the Canon T4i / 650D is also calling to me as a studio camera, video camera and a new backup for my 7D. And then there's also the strong possibility of a 7D replacement in the near future. What is a photographer to do?

But yeah - I do like the 12-50mm. It's not the 12-60mm I keep asking for. But it's a great all-purpose kit lens for that camera.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

John I watched and enjoyed the video.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    John I watched and enjoyed the video.
    Did you note the part where I used the E-M5? Most of it was shot with the EOS 7D but I shot with the E-M5 the whole time for B-roll clips.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information