Olympus vs. Panasonic Micro 4/3 Lenses: Pro Comparison Reviews

Found a compelling Head to Head review of the Micro 4/3 lenses - and the Panasonic GF1/GF2 lens looks better all around! I thought Oly would be sharper, with the only problem is that it doesnt have IS in it.

http://www.h2hreviews.com/article/He...Sharpness.html

Anyone else compare the glass alone?

Re: Olympus vs. Panasonic Micro 4/3 Lenses: Pro Comparison Reviews

I've only been using my e-p2 a couple weeks, but I had a chance to use both lenses extensively for a couple days. The tests and numbers out there definitely say the 14-45 performs better. But honestly, there was little to no practical difference in my eyes. I'm not a pixel peeper though, so others may disagree.

If I was forced to pick, I'd probably take the 14-45 but really only based on numbers I've read and that it felt more sturdy in my hand. But I'm not about to exert the effort in trading in my 14-42 since any problems with my e-p2 photos so far are more my fault then my lens'.

Pany lenses are generally higher in cost plus I like the built in IS on the Olympus bodies. I have no issues with the IQ of my EP-1. I think any performance issues are nothing figuring in the cost factor.
    But I ain't sold that the IS is as good on the m4/3rd cameras. My EP-1 doesn't seem as good as my E3.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

The Panasonic 14-45 has fixed front element and lens hood, good features.
    But is bigger than the Olympus 14-42.
    I feel the Olympus is let down by slower AF, rotating front element, and extending lens on focussing. But it's smaller when collapsed for storage, which counts for quite a lot.

I think the Olympus has better close focussing, and focuses consistently close across the whole zoom range, it's my preferred closeup lens.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    The Panasonic 14-45 has fixed front element and lens hood, good features.
    But is bigger than the Olympus 14-42.
    I feel the Olympus is let down by slower AF, rotating front element, and extending lens on focussing. But it's smaller when collapsed for storage, which counts for quite a lot.
    I commented mainly on image quality only earlier, but all this is true too. I also remember the Panasonic 14-45 being a bit quieter when focusing, which may be important if you take videos.

Thread Information