• 09-30-2010, 10:21 AM
    SalGov
    Olympus vs. Panasonic Micro 4/3 Lenses: Pro Comparison Reviews
    Found a compelling Head to Head review of the Micro 4/3 lenses - and the Panasonic GF1/GF2 lens looks better all around! I thought Oly would be sharper, with the only problem is that it doesnt have IS in it.

http://www.h2hreviews.com/article/He...Sharpness.html

Anyone else compare the glass alone?
  • 09-30-2010, 12:58 PM
    albot976
    Re: Olympus vs. Panasonic Micro 4/3 Lenses: Pro Comparison Reviews
    I've only been using my e-p2 a couple weeks, but I had a chance to use both lenses extensively for a couple days. The tests and numbers out there definitely say the 14-45 performs better. But honestly, there was little to no practical difference in my eyes. I'm not a pixel peeper though, so others may disagree.

If I was forced to pick, I'd probably take the 14-45 but really only based on numbers I've read and that it felt more sturdy in my hand. But I'm not about to exert the effort in trading in my 14-42 since any problems with my e-p2 photos so far are more my fault then my lens'.
  • 09-30-2010, 03:05 PM
    Greg McCary
    Pany lenses are generally higher in cost plus I like the built in IS on the Olympus bodies. I have no issues with the IQ of my EP-1. I think any performance issues are nothing figuring in the cost factor.
    But I ain't sold that the IS is as good on the m4/3rd cameras. My EP-1 doesn't seem as good as my E3.
  • 09-30-2010, 03:12 PM
    SmartWombat
    The Panasonic 14-45 has fixed front element and lens hood, good features.
    But is bigger than the Olympus 14-42.
    I feel the Olympus is let down by slower AF, rotating front element, and extending lens on focussing. But it's smaller when collapsed for storage, which counts for quite a lot.

I think the Olympus has better close focussing, and focuses consistently close across the whole zoom range, it's my preferred closeup lens.
  • 09-30-2010, 05:09 PM
    albot976
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    The Panasonic 14-45 has fixed front element and lens hood, good features.
    But is bigger than the Olympus 14-42.
    I feel the Olympus is let down by slower AF, rotating front element, and extending lens on focussing. But it's smaller when collapsed for storage, which counts for quite a lot.

I commented mainly on image quality only earlier, but all this is true too. I also remember the Panasonic 14-45 being a bit quieter when focusing, which may be important if you take videos.