• 11-15-2012, 03:36 PM
    Photo-John
    1 Attachment(s)
    Olympus E-PL5 In The House!
    I've got an Olympus E-PL5 in for review. This is basically a miniature OM-D. It's got the same sensor so the image quality, video and auto focus should be the same. It also has a much faster burst rate than previous Pen cameras - 8 FPS. I'm pretty excited about this one. Seems like I say this at regular intervals, but... here we go - THIS COULD BE THE PEN CAMERA I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR :D

Working on an intro video right now :)
  • 11-15-2012, 04:10 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Olympus E-PL5 In The House!
    Nice John. Why is the trend that most compact cameras lack good manual focus controls? Aimed at a different market than enthusiast?
  • 11-15-2012, 04:16 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Nice John. Why is the trend that most compact cameras lack good manual focus controls? Aimed at a different market than enthusiast?

That has more to do with the lens than the camera, doesn't it? I mean, the kit lenses all have tiny focusing rings. But the Olympus primes are pretty good. Or am I not understanding you?
  • 11-15-2012, 04:53 PM
    Greg McCary
    John I mean manual aperture and shutter speeds. The E-M5 and NEX 7 great.
  • 11-15-2012, 06:20 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    John I mean manual aperture and shutter speeds. The E-M5 and NEX 7 great.

Oh - you said manual focus. But yeah, you're right. The less expensive cameras are designed for photographers who are less likely to be using manual exposure controls. It's the same with digital SLRs. You get one exposure control dial on the Canon Rebels or what have you. But when you step up to the next level you get discrete controls for the shutter and aperture. I like having separate controls for both but I have learned that I work just fine without them once I get used to the camera.
  • 03-30-2015, 11:03 PM
    achaahaa
    You get one exposure control dial on the Canon Rebels or what have you. But when you step up to the next level you get discrete controls for the shutter and aperture. I like having separate controls for both but I have learned that I work just fine without them once I get used to the camera.
  • 04-02-2015, 08:19 AM
    zanejc
  • 05-02-2015, 05:01 PM
    farsidefan1
    Olympus is one of the cameras I'm evaluating for my retirement entertainment. My interest is wildlife, scenery and grand kids. I've heard that the menu is difficult and I'm a bit concerned that the 16 megapixel count and smaller sensor will be a problem. What are your thoughts on those subjects? Sony alpha 6000 and Sony 7rII are the other cameras I'm considering.

I love the fact that they are weather sealed and light (Olympus) and seem to have some very good lenses available.