Liz

EM5 - first shots

Finally! It's been a long time process getting the EM5 since I made the decision to purchase it. The first one I purchased was defective, and Amazon had been out of stock for a while, but they finally got some in!

I went to Lake George before I had a chance to play with the camera, and being with other people, I didn't have a chance to try out different settings.

These were shot straight out of camera with no post processing - no setting changes - and all were done in auto/P mode.

The indoor shot was at night with poor indoor light in cabin. Not too bad.

Considering these are straight out of camera, I am very happy with what this camera can do even in auto! I got the camera only and purchased the Panasonic 14-45 lens which was the only lens used on vacation. I really really like this lens!

Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Liz

A couple more...

A few more....

A bit crooked!

Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Re: EM5 - first shots

I love those Olympus blues. Nice shooting Liz. The internet is a buzz that Olympus could be coming out with an E6 with the same sensor. It looks like you have it all going your way.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    I love those Olympus blues. Nice shooting Liz. The internet is a buzz that Olympus could be coming out with an E6 with the same sensor. It looks like you have it all going your way.
    Thanks Greg. I've read a few rumors....however I am hoping I will be happy with this one for a while. I can't believe all these new micro cameras coming out so fast! It used to be that I would buy a camera planning to use it for years! Now they are almost disposable.....as is the money that we put out!

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Liz

Just a note about the original EM5 that I purchased. The reason I returned it was because the images were soft, some significantly soft, and quite a few were too dark. After checking and rechecking the images, I believe the problem was the AF. The area where I focused was never sharp, but I would find another area to be sharp in most of the shots. It might have been a back-focus problem. At any rate I showed the images to the sales person at the store where I purchased the camera and he suggested that I exchange it. I was relieved because I did not get one image that I could say I liked.

I'm quite happy with this one.

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Thanks Greg. I've read a few rumors....however I am hoping I will be happy with this one for a while. I can't believe all these new micro cameras coming out so fast! It used to be that I would buy a camera planning to use it for years! Now they are almost disposable.....as is the money that we put out!

Liz
    Wouldn't that E6 be a 4/3 camera and not a micro 4/3 camera?

I think E5, a 4/3 camera, came out in 2010.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes View Post

Yes, you are probably right. However, there are rumors that a new EM5 is coming out also - so that is what I assumed Greg was referring to. But I think you are correct,

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes View Post

Well that one is up in the air. It could be a hybrid. All kinds of rumors. But yes there is a new body coming out for the 4/3rd mount if the rumor mill is correct. Most often about half what I hear is true. I am guessing here but I think Olympus wants the new Sony sensor in their 4/3rd line. With a little more processing power Olympus might finally make the 4/3rd sensor something special. They certainly have the better lenses. I always suspected Olympus lenses were so sharp it would help with their thicker AA filter. But now that it is thinner the Zuiko lenses will really shine.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz ask for a critique so here goes. Liz I think on your landscape pictures you don't work the rule of thirds enough. You have to remember you are working 4/3rd size pictures that is wider top to bottom. You are off centering them but not enough. Do you have software you can crop with that has a grid to help using thirds and leveling?
    The first one is fine I would like to see some detail in the mountains. The second one I would crop the bottom and right side putting the boat closer to the lower right side third. The third shot needs cropped from the top and either the left or right side.
    I also think the flesh colors of the people could be slightly off. A white balance adjustment would work.
    My thoughts on landscapes is to catch it during the golden hour. Images work better if they flow left to right. When people look at pictures they tend to look at it like reading a book. Flowing left to right creates less tension. Sometime you can't help making it go from right to left but if given a choice it would be left to right.
    It is always better to come back when the lighting is in your favor.

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Greg,

Thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts here. You are right about the composition, lighting, etc. I have a long way to go here, and need to get a start on the learning curve of the EM5 as well. I really appreciate your comments.

My biggest problem at the moment is the fact that I can't see the details of the images on the borrowed laptop that I'm using since the screen is really bad news! I am able to compare them with the images I got from the first EM5 I purchased.....and there is no comparison as these images are sharper - even on this poor LCD screen.

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Greg,

Thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts here. You are right about the composition, lighting, etc. I have a long way to go here, and need to get a start on the learning curve of the EM5 as well. I really appreciate your comments.

My biggest problem at the moment is the fact that I can't see the details of the images on the borrowed laptop that I'm using since the screen is really bad news! I am able to compare them with the images I got from the first EM5 I purchased.....and there is no comparison as these images are sharper - even on this poor LCD screen.

Liz
    What software do you use to edit. If you don't have Lightroom I would suggest getting it soon.

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Greg.....I recently purchased PSElements 10 - can't afford another one. I never do a lot of post processing anyway as I can't sit at the computer long enough. So I try to get the best I can straight out of camera. I just don't know how to use this one yet! But it will be fun learning.

I did not do any pp on these. I just shot on auto/P mode to see if the images were better and sharper than my previous EM5 which I returned. They are! I was not careful about the composition - and I did not know how to adjust the lighting.

Actually the photo with the 3 women looks just like each one looks in real life so can't do much better than that! I didn't have the flash to use on the indoor shot with the fish and it was dark outside - just one cabin light to go by.

I guess since no one else commented - that says it all! Thanks Greg!

I really appreciate you taking the time to look and comment!

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Liz those are very good for out of camera shots.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information