• 12-08-2011, 01:38 PM
    zerodog
    Nikon 1 and off camera flash? Can it use CLS?
    Is there any way to do this with one of these bad boys? Is there option to add an SB 700 or 900 or does it have commander mode as an option to use the Nikon CLS??

Maybe photo john can illuminate us on this subject?
  • 12-08-2011, 03:43 PM
    Franglais
    Re: Nikon 1 and off camera flash? Can it use CLS?
    I've checked the specs and I can't see any mention of it. The current cameras are entry-level consumer models. None of the equivalent DSLR's can do CLS and I would be surprised if Nikon had included it in the One.
  • 12-08-2011, 04:30 PM
    Anbesol
    Bad boy?

Olympus has the wireless flash system in all of their Pen's as well as a hot shoe, including the one that is sold for less than the J1 and is a better camera (E-PM1). But the Nikon does not have the wireless flash feature.
  • 12-08-2011, 05:59 PM
    Photo-John
    I'm not sure because I don't own a Nikon flash, Rob. But bring over one of your flashes and we'll give it a shot.
  • 12-09-2011, 07:47 AM
    zerodog
    We need a camera at work. Still shots and videos of our products. It also needs to be really easy to use for the other guys too. I think the j1 is the perfect fit cost and performance wise. The money we save on getting a cheaper camera will let me get some lights. Continuos ones with big soft boxes will be perfect. Again easy. And it will work for video. The AF performance for the video sets this thing apart.

The upshot of all of this is I get a Nikon 1 for Christmas!

John we will have to see if there is a way to make the CLS work. I doubt it. But it would be super cool.
  • 12-09-2011, 09:30 AM
    Anbesol
    Like I said, it doesn't have a wireless flash system. I have a positive confirmation that it most certainly does not. I also have a positive confirmation that $250 used old CSC camera bodies with better image quality also have the wireless flash feature, but not the J1.

Is AF during video really the distinguishing feature for you? Its strange you say that because that is quite literally the only feature of the J1 that isn't inferior to everything else.

How you commend it for its "cost" is curious, considering its relatively very expensive for its category.
  • 12-09-2011, 09:44 AM
    zerodog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Like I said, it doesn't have a wireless flash system. I have a positive confirmation that it most certainly does not. I also have a positive confirmation that $250 used old CSC camera bodies with better image quality also have the wireless flash feature, but not the J1.

Is AF during video really the distinguishing feature for you? Its strange you say that because that is quite literally the only feature of the J1 that isn't inferior to everything else.

How you commend it for its "cost" is curious, considering its relatively very expensive for its category.

So for my requirments, easy, cheapish, good IQ and easy HD video what are your recommendations? Also needs to be new.

I say cheap because it is relative. Relative to the camera crap I am used to buying. I can't even buy a lens for $600. My knowledge of these little guys is limited to playing with an Olympus once and holding a 1 at a convention.
  • 12-09-2011, 12:42 PM
    Anbesol
    A modern NEX or M43 mount body, like a NEX C3 or an Olympus E-PM1 or Panasonic GF3. The E-PM1 is the only one of those that has a hotshoe and will work with the nikon speedlites in manual.
  • 12-09-2011, 02:09 PM
    zerodog
    After much debating this morning and a really good discussion with a camera wizard, I went Sony. NEX 5. Sounds like a lot more camera for not a lot more $$. The nikon is good for me. For the af system. But not ideal for the work camera for everyone to use and take killer still photos.