Canon Micro 4/3rds??

Has anyone heard whether Canon plans on releasing a micro 4/3rds camera? I'm surprised they haven't as yet.:idea:

Re: Canon Micro 4/3rds??

Canon has not said anything about a compact system camera. I was beginning to think neither Nikonr nor Canon were going to get into the mirrorless market and then Nikon finally coughed up the J1 and V1. In my last two Canon G-Series announcement articles I've said that the G-System is an anachronism and should be replaced with a compact interchangeable lens camera system. I can't tell if they have any intention of participating in that category or not. However, with Nikon in the game now, they may not have any choice. As soon as there's an announcement or anything official, I'll have an article about it.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I honestly think that Canon's G sales will drop. The Oly E-PL2 is only 50 bucks more which makes it a no brainer to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Canon has not said anything about a compact system camera. I was beginning to think neither Nikonr nor Canon were going to get into the mirrorless market and then Nikon finally coughed up the J1 and V1. In my last two Canon G-Series announcement articles I've said that the G-System is an anachronism and should be replaced with a compact interchangeable lens camera system. I can't tell if they have any intention of participating in that category or not. However, with Nikon in the game now, they may not have any choice. As soon as there's an announcement or anything official, I'll have an article about it.

Quote Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
    I honestly think that Canon's G sales will drop. The Oly E-PL2 is only 50 bucks more which makes it a no brainer to me.
    That's exactly what I said in my Canon G11 and G12 articles. However, you'd be surprised how many people aren't aware that the Olympus Pen and other compact system cameras exist. There are also the people who just assume the Canon is going to be better because of the name. Canon is still selling plenty to those people. But now that Nikon has a compact system camera out, I think Canon is going to have to jump in.
    Photo-John

I knew about the Pen series for a while but not until a month or so ago did I realize you could change lenses with these cameras. I also think that before too long we may see the DSLRs going mirrorless as well. The way I understand the Oly micro 4/3rd cameras is that the shutter is open when it's powered up so you are actually looking through the lens. When the shutter button is pressed, the shutter closes and then reopens for the specified amount of time, i.e. 1/250, 1/125, etc. Am I thinking correctly John?
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    That's exactly what I said in my Canon G11 and G12 articles. However, you'd be surprised how many people aren't aware that the Olympus Pen and other compact system cameras exist. There are also the people who just assume the Canon is going to be better because of the name. Canon is still selling plenty to those people. But now that Nikon has a compact system camera out, I think Canon is going to have to jump in.

James - yes, as is the case with all digital viewfinders. And yes, the shutter curtain does cycle that way in the M43 system.

DSLR's have been going mirrorless, to some extent, with sony's SLT. While it does have one transparent mirror, there is no series of reflecting mirrors, and the one in is only there for AF, not viewfinder.

A CSC camera such as M43, already IS a DSLR without the mirror. For more fully featured and functional camera bodies, look at the Oly EP3 or the Sony NEX-7, which are meant to be functional much like pro-APS body DSLR's.

PJ - why do you think Nikons entry now places the otus on Canon?

Anyway, I'd be delighted to hear of Canon entering into the market on the Micro 4/3rd mount. I only wish, it would be awesome for the consumer. I thought about it the other day, canon placing an entry into the market on the M43 system. Still, not going to happen though. Though I do think it is likely Canon will enter the CSC category, it wont be as an M43 partner.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Charlie, although I have only spent less than one hour with my E-PL2, I find it more feature packed than my Canon 40D DSLR which the Oly has replaced. The 40D and lenses were getting just a bit too bulky to be lugging around and I found myself not taking my camera with me as often as I wanted for that reason. The difference in weight and bulk is amazing while still providing pretty nice image quality. I haven't looked back yet. I don't believe the M43 cameras will ever take the place of the DSLRs as most have smaller image sensors and limit cropping capabilities among many other things.The Oly EP3 or the Sony NEX-7 you mentioned have APS-C size sensors (correct me if I'm wrong) which is a definite plus. I would have loved to get the EP3 but I had a budget to work with at the time. I'm not sure if I would even require the additional features of the EP3 for the type of photography that I do....time will tell. Thank you for your input here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    James - yes, as is the case with all digital viewfinders. And yes, the shutter curtain does cycle that way in the M43 system.

DSLR's have been going mirrorless, to some extent, with sony's SLT. While it does have one transparent mirror, there is no series of reflecting mirrors, and the one in is only there for AF, not viewfinder.

A CSC camera such as M43, already IS a DSLR without the mirror. For more fully featured and functional camera bodies, look at the Oly EP3 or the Sony NEX-7, which are meant to be functional much like pro-APS body DSLR's.

PJ - why do you think Nikons entry now places the otus on Canon?

Anyway, I'd be delighted to hear of Canon entering into the market on the Micro 4/3rd mount. I only wish, it would be awesome for the consumer. I thought about it the other day, canon placing an entry into the market on the M43 system. Still, not going to happen though. Though I do think it is likely Canon will enter the CSC category, it wont be as an M43 partner.

I am sure at some point Canon will go mirrorless no doubt with their own mount, ideas ect. I think they have to if nothing else to keep up with a changing market. There is just to much money at stake for them not to do it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Wow, you have two Leica M bodies. When I was in Germany between 1964 and 1967 is when I became interested in photography. I bought an SLR from a camera shop there and it was an Exacta, I believe an East German manufacturer. Everytime I went in there I always wanted to hold the Leica M3. I just loved the way it felt in my hand but at the time it was pretty unaffordable. The shop owner said I could buy it on time but the monthly payments would have ate up quite a bit of my meager military pay check. I wish I would have now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    I am sure at some point Canon will go mirrorless no doubt with their own mount, ideas ect. I think they have to if nothing else to keep up with a changing market. There is just to much money at stake for them not to do it.

Recent hints in the French press (who are usually well-informed):

- Canon will be entering the mirrorless market sometime soon
    - Nikon DSLR's will continue to have mirrors (i.e. not an electronic viewfinder)

BTW I have a Leica M4P and a Konica Hexar RF but I don't use them any more. When I picked up the NEX-7 with it's electronic viewfinder top left of the body I was sort of hoping it was going to like using a Leica. Cruel deception when I looked through the eyepiece..
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thanks James, I have just started making my own darkroom prints, a labor of love for certain. I am afraid there will never be a digital Leica for the masses. Camera manufactors have to please the novice as well as the pros and over engineer everything they make. It's not hard to learn exposure like the good old days. But if it's to simple it won't sell.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

The Exacta I bought in Germany was about as simple as you can get. No built in meter, no ASA adjustment dial. You either needed a light meter or use the recommended settings in the data sheet the film came with. Those were reasonably close but in many instances tended to be a bit overexposed. I broke down and bought a light meter.
    Thanks James, I have just started making my own darkroom prints, a labor of love for certain. I am afraid there will never be a digital Leica for the masses. Camera manufactors have to please the novice as well as the pros and over engineer everything they make. It's not hard to learn exposure like the good old days. But if it's to simple it won't sell.

If it was one of these..
    EXACTA VXIIA 35MM FILM SLR CAMERA | eBay
    My uncle gave me one with several other cameras but it was way beyond fixing.
    You can find M bodies at a fair price here.
    Main - Rangefinderforum Photo Equipment Classifieds
    Prices of M bodies were on the rise for the last couple of months but seem to be coming down. If you watch close every now and then you can run into a bargain if you act fast enough.

Sony a99/a7R

That's not it Greg. My Exacta looked a little more modern that that one. Geez, looked at the rangefinder site and a used M3 cost more now than what I could have bought it for new in Germany.
    If it was one of these..
    EXACTA VXIIA 35MM FILM SLR CAMERA | eBay
    My uncle gave me one with several other cameras but it was way beyond fixing.
    You can find M bodies at a fair price here.
    Main - Rangefinderforum Photo Equipment Classifieds
    Prices of M bodies were on the rise for the last couple of months but seem to be coming down. If you watch close every now and then you can run into a bargain if you act fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
    That's not it Greg. My Exacta looked a little more modern that that one. Geez, looked at the rangefinder site and a used M3 cost more now than what I could have bought it for new in Germany.
    I couldn't replace my M6 for what I paid for it six years ago. I don't think the same will hold true with Leica Digital cameras. I just wonder how many digital Leicas will still be kicking ing 40 years.

Sony a99/a7R

James - the nex 7 has an APS, the EP3 has the same sensor as your E-PL2 (4/3rd, 2x crop), adding 12-bit raw capture (vs the 8-bit of the E-PL2). The difference of the EP3 is in the feature set and interface.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Thanks, Charlie.
    James - the nex 7 has an APS, the EP3 has the same sensor as your E-PL2 (4/3rd, 2x crop), adding 12-bit raw capture (vs the 8-bit of the E-PL2). The difference of the EP3 is in the feature set and interface.

As far as nostalgia and longevity, back in the late 60s I bought my dad an Olympus 35mm RC 35 rangefinder camera. That camera is still around today and functions as well as it did when it was new. It also took pretty darn nice pics.
    I couldn't replace my M6 for what I paid for it six years ago. I don't think the same will hold true with Leica Digital cameras. I just wonder how many digital Leicas will still be kicking ing 40 years.

There's a little more to it than that. One of the most important differences is the EP3 sensor has a thinner anti aliasing filter, very much like the E-5 DSLR. That means better detail and better low light sensitivity. There's been a lot of debate about the E-P3 IQ compared to the previous generation. My opinion is that it's definitely better, although I'd have a hard time quantifying exactly how. That's something I want to take a closer look at.
    Photo-John

Thread Information