Liz

E-P3 first pics....

I've had a lot of activity in my life this past month since I purchased the E-P3 and my schedule has not permitted me to do much photography........

These are a couple of my first shots. Let me know (honestly) what you think. They look a bit soft to me - but I still need practice on changing the settings - which I think is necessary to get the best images. Plus the fact that I have a tendency to "pixel peep" when I am testing a new camera.

Thanks.
    Liz

Re: E-P3 first pics....

I like the second and third shot. I still think Olympus jpegs produce the best colors. The sky is blown out in the first one I wish digital cameras offered better DR. I can't believe as far as DSLRs have come they haven't improved any more than they have.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    I like the second and third shot. I still think Olympus jpegs produce the best colors. The sky is blown out in the first one I wish digital cameras offered better DR. I can't believe as far as DSLRs have come they haven't improved any more than they have.
    Yes, the sky is very blown. It was the first time I used the camera, and we were going quite fast in a boat - so I could not fool with the settings - they were all shot iauto.

Question - if I had time, what could I have done with the sky? We were traveling fast in the boat, but if the boat were still and the sun was bright - how would I expose with so much contrast - the dark landscape and bright sky?

Anything I can do now?

Also - does the 2nd one look sharp on your monitor? I did very slight tweaking on that one - just upped the contrast a notch.

Thanks!

Liz

Liz

I'm adding this image - this is how the sky looked when the boat turned the other way - away from the sun.

Liz

Liz the pictures look very good, I think they are very sharp. I can tell they are sharper than previous post by you. I can image the 50mm is super sharp. I love the colors.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I think these all look great, Liz. They look plenty sharp to me. The location is gorgeous. Where were these shot?

Greg - I think digital SLRs have way better dynamic range then film. It's more a matter of how you use them then how much dynamic range they have. Witha digital SLR you need to expose to hold the highlights then maybe brighten up the shadows. With film, a lot of that stuff was hidden from the photographer unless they did their own darkroom work. I also think we've all gotten more picky with digital cameras. I don't believe we would have had the same expectations with film that we have with digital SLRs.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    I think these all look great, Liz. They look plenty sharp to me. The location is gorgeous. Where were these shot?

Greg - I think digital SLRs have way better dynamic range then film. It's more a matter of how you use them then how much dynamic range they have. Witha digital SLR you need to expose to hold the highlights then maybe brighten up the shadows. With film, a lot of that stuff was hidden from the photographer unless they did their own darkroom work. I also think we've all gotten more picky with digital cameras. I don't believe we would have had the same expectations with film that we have with digital SLRs.
    Hi John,

The location is Lake George NY! We were out on the Lake - it's a huge lake surrounded by gorgeous property - and lots of boats of all sizes and types. The above images were shot with the Olympus 9-18 - one of the best wide angle zooms I've ever used - along with the Tokina 11-22 - another awesome wide angle zoom.

I LOVE the E-P3 - I haven't been this happy with a camera since my Canon days when I had a couple of "L" lenses and the awesome 50mm/f1.4. I really look forward to each chance I get to play with the E-P3.

I pre-ordered the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 from Amazon on July 4th - it's been a long time getting there, but I just got an email confirmation from Amazon telling me it will be here on or before Friday!!! :thumbsup:

I'll post some images as soon as I get to try it out.

Liz

I've heard about Lake George before. I've wanted to visit upstate New York for a long time and that gives me more motivation. I'd love to visit Manhattan and then drive up the Hudson. That would be a great road trip!

I'm really glad you are enjoying the E-P3. I think I feel the same way that you do about it. I also enjoyed the other Pen cameras but more as tools. The E-P3 has a subtle charisma that makes it more than just a tool - makes it really enjoyable to use. I think it's part the OLED display and part the great, solid feel of the camera. And it also has great image quality. I am way overdue on sending the review camera back to Olympus. It's going to be a sad moment when I finally box it up and send it back
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information