Which is the best Camera for traveling DSLR or Mirror less?

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a Digital Camera. I have done my research but while searching I found some Mirrorless Cameras. So, I'm little confused, which will be the best for travelling? DSLR or Mirror less Camera? What is the main function of Mirrorless Camera? I need some practical experience.

All comments are welcome!

Re: Which is the best Camera for traveling DSLR or Mirror less?

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the forums. Hopefully, you'll find some help here.

From the research you've done what are your initial impressions? Any camera models that have caught your eye?

Having gone from an entry level DSLR to an entry level Mirrorless camera, I may be able to shed some light. However, my DSLR was from 2008 (Olympus E-520) and my mirrorless is a late model Olympus E-PM2.

The more I use my new E-PM2 the more I think that mirrorless is the way to go, especially as a travel kit.

To me, DSLR advantages are built in optical viewfinder, more responsive shutter and better ergonomics, size, layout. Depending on camera models, DSLR may have a larger sensor.

However the E-PM2 has comparable or better low light capability to some DSLRs, high enough MP count to allow for some cropping, and very fast autofocus with native m4/3 lenses. Again, personally I can only compare it to an older DSLR. I have not tried a comparable DSLR or even the higher end mirrorless cameras. If size is of a concern then mirrorless is probably the way to go. An E-PM2 and kit lens can easily go in a jacket pocket. A couple more lenses and you may have all you need for a travel rig.

There are many other considerations. When you say for travel, are you trying to travel as light as possible, or do you have some tolerance to carry around an extra bag or two, or do you want to travel as light as possible? (My last vacation, I had 2 bags of camera equipment.)

Will you use the camera when not travel or is this solely for your vacations? Did you have a budget in mind? Do you have any existing equipment or affinity for any particular brand?

After spending some time with an E-PM2 over the past several weeks, I can tell you I'm impressed with the camera. At first, I missed the feel of my old E-520 better. The camera is very P&S-like, and hard to take "seriously", but I've quickly learned to deal with the strengths and weaknesses of the camera. So far, all I can say is the camera is a lot of fun and this is an entry level model. I'm sure I high end Sony, Nikon, Panasonic or Olympus mirrorless would be even better.

If you are used to an SLR or DSLR then you might want to stick with that form. However, if this is your first quality camera, you may prefer the P&S style format and would probably benefit from the more automated approach, at least until you learn the camera.
    Last edited by Erik_Olympus; 03-01-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Just wanted to follow up after a recent trip. With the smaller size of my E-PM2 and native lenses, I was able to get a smaller camera bag. In past trips I've sometimes brought two camera cases with me so I could bring whatever lenses I may want. This time around, I purchased the Lowepro Event Messenger 100 and I was able to bring the camera and 4 lenses with me all in the one bag. As stated above the camera was an E-PM2; lenses were 14-42 II R, 40-150, 17mm as well as a Konica Hexanon AR 50/1.7. I could easily carry the bag with all the equipment all day long without fatigue, while in the past I'd either have to carry a heavy bag around or carry fewer lenses. The smaller size is definitely a plus when it comes to travel photography. It made my trip more enjoyable and I don't feel I sacrificed anything in terms of image quality.

Dslr anytime

Mirror definetly

DHM

Hi Daniel,

There are a couple of bits of info that would useful in responding to your questions. Is your experience with photography with point and shoot or SLR (D or film) and what is your tolerance for image quality/resolution. Micro four thirds are very enticing from a size , weight, and image quality perspective. Regardless, they will not outperform a mid-range to high level dslr. It boils down to sensor size and not pixel count; physics can't be beat.

Beyond the image quality issue, there are a few dealing with ease of use in some conditions. Most micros require the use of the LCD to frame your intended image. Seeing the image can be near impossible in bright light. If you're using an external flash for for fill you will likely not be able to use an auxiliary eye level finder if one is available.

I was an early adopter of the micro (Sony NEX) for travel and street shooting, The images were fine for online sharing and small prints and the camera and lenses were very easy to carry. I found the bright light issue a major problem forcing me to pass or deal with questionable framing and additional editing time later. After a year I gave the body, flash and two lenses away

In an effort to reduce bulk and weight for general travel (holiday stuff) I use a Canon SL1 and APSC compatible lenses. For photography centric shooting I use a 7D and 5D and L lenses.

By the way, manufacture for the general hobbyist, in my opinion, is less important than how comfortable the equipment is for you to use and your requirements.

I wish you enjoyable shooting whatever you decide is best for you.

Has anyone done this update yet? I'm wondering if it makes a noticeable difference with continuous auto focus. That's one of the things it's supposed to improve.

Are you interested in 70-243 dumps Get our self paced testking Testking.net and Florida Memorial University study packages to pass your Keiser University without any difficulty in Northwood University.

Panasonic or Olympus mirrorless would be even better.
    idscoho

-You can carry a mirror less camera more easily and fit more gear, such as extra lenses, into a camera bag.
    -The best mirrorless cameras match DSLRs for fast autofocus.
    -Image stabilization technology is equivalent in both camera types.
    -For many situations, especially low-light shooting, the DSLR's optical viewfinder is more accurate.

How much weight do you like to lug around? Also the lighter systems can help you avoid extra baggage charges. Still you need to choose what makes you happy. What is the end destination for your photos?What are your favorite subjects? Best of luck, I'm in the same quandary. But the heaviest I'm willing to consider is the Nikon D750. Sony and Olympus are the other contenders.

nice post....well done

There may be another option, a good point and shoot or superzoom. These can be very inexpensive and the image quality is excellent. I bought some really neat point and shoots on E-Bay for under $50.

Mirrorless cameras are much more smaller than DSLRs. It reduces greatly the loading during your travel journey. It also allow photographers to view live exposure instantly with the help of the electronic viewfinders.

Definitely mirrorless camera , mirrorless camera is Able to replace lenses to match any type of photography it wherever you'd like!! Including travelling! allso the Image quality of mirror less camera are much better than main function. this is the type camera for you.
    I will help you choose if you want , what is your Budget?

Mirrorless for sure

Thread Information