EPL-1 + 85mm nikon lens

EPL-1 with an F-mount adapter, tried it with the 85mm f1.4

This is ridiculous, shot at 1/20 of a sec , handheld, manual focus, and the photo
    came out sharp!

Hard to focus as I used the viewfinder and the image magnifier

Re: EPL-1 + 85mm nikon lens

Yeah I ain't sure i could ever own another digital camera without IS. It's proven technology.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

EPL-1 nikon lens is great i owned, but i sell it.

A lens is for life. Eleanor Maw's Avatar

I still don't see the point of Micro Four Thirds Cameras, their lens are as expensive as bigger format SLR's and the bodies are only about 30% smaller, If you have a Nikon 85mm f1.4 buy a secondhand D70, it will whip the pants of a Micro Four Thirds Camera.
    Main Gear :
    Nikon D3s, Nikon D2xs, Nikon D7000, Nikon D90.
    Nikon AF-S 12-24mm f/4G DX IF-ED,
    Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX,
    Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF ED,
    Nikon AF-S VR 105mm f/2.8G IF ED Micro,
    Nikon AF 135mm f/2.0 D
    Nikon 16-35mm f/4G ED VR ,
    Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED,
    Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR I ,
    Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II,
    Fuji X100, Canon S95, Lumix LX3.

Eleanor, have you actually handled a M4/3 camera? The size difference is more significant than you may think, and because of their 20mm flange distance, vs the nikons 47mm, they can produce much smaller, lighter optics, like the range of lens they currently have. I assure you the size difference is significant and very noticeable. The small flange is also the reason one could adapt virtually any type of lens imaginable. They even have adapters for Leica thread mount, and keep metering and infinity focus intact, as they can with any adapted lens. This is a pretty substantial deal.

Further, there is nothing, sans the AF, about the D70 that beats the pants off of any M43 camera. The sensor resolution on the new Pens are much past what the D70 is capable of, as is the high ISO grain. All of the current M43 cameras produce better IQ than a D70 ever could. The only consequential thing the D70 would do better is autofocus.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor Maw View Post
    I still don't see the point of Micro Four Thirds Cameras, their lens are as expensive as bigger format SLR's and the bodies are only about 30% smaller, If you have a Nikon 85mm f1.4 buy a secondhand D70, it will whip the pants of a Micro Four Thirds Camera.
    This is only an experiment

My point is about using that specific lens with the Image stabilization of the EPL1, because I find it difficult to get good images at speeds lower than 1/200

I mention the 85mm because it is the best lens I have regarding resolution and biggest aperture.

I Usually have the 85mm on a D300, that combination runs circles around the epl1 regarding image quality, provided when I use it handheld at 1/200 or faster, or on a tripod, which sometimes is just not practical.

Handheld at low speeds the EPL1 will get better images due to the Image stabilization, this coupled with the f1.4 aperture (or f1.8 of the 35 and 50mm) would make a great night camera, except for the manual focus which takes me ages

And about Anbesol comment on the size, it is significantly smaller than the D300 even when fitted with the smallest lens I have, the weight also is tiny in comparison, bigger than a point and shoot , sure, but it fits easily on a pouch in my waist, it is not obvious and obtrusive as the D300 sometimes feels.
    Last edited by armando_m; 06-28-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Eleanor, have you actually handled a M4/3 camera?
    Yes and that is why I never bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    This is only an experiment

My point is about using that specific lens with the Image stabilization of the EPL1, because I find it difficult to get good images at speeds lower than 1/200

I mention the 85mm because it is the best lens I have regarding resolution and biggest aperture.
    It's always good to experiment, as long as you don't end up damage your photographic equipment anything goes and you can end up with some great photos.
    Main Gear :
    Nikon D3s, Nikon D2xs, Nikon D7000, Nikon D90.
    Nikon AF-S 12-24mm f/4G DX IF-ED,
    Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX,
    Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF ED,
    Nikon AF-S VR 105mm f/2.8G IF ED Micro,
    Nikon AF 135mm f/2.0 D
    Nikon 16-35mm f/4G ED VR ,
    Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED,
    Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR I ,
    Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II,
    Fuji X100, Canon S95, Lumix LX3.

Yes and that is why I never bought one.
    Ah I see. Well I don't think they are any kind of replacement for a DSLR, they sure are convenient little side-arms though.
    - Charlie

here is another odd combination , sigma 150 macro on epl1

the lens being larger make it a lot easier to hold it , and the precise focus movement on this lens also makes it easier to do it manually

So do you keep your aperture control on AF lens? I notice the EXIF still says f/0.
    - Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    So do you keep your aperture control on AF lens? I notice the EXIF still says f/0.
    Aperture can be "controlled" in the adapter or in the lens if the lens has an aperture ring
    The sigma does not have an aperture ring, just like the Nikon G lenses, this case is wide open , if I want more dof , I'll turn the control on the adapter, but will never know what exact aperture was used

Fantastic pic armando_m, and the 4/3 is cost effective as well. Mainly for beginners

Tom, seasoned pro's are actually taking to the M43 with greater enthusiasm than general layperson population, because the general beginner population is still largely under some delusional perception that DSLR's are inherently better than M43 just because of the mirror. That paradigm is slowly breaking...

Adapting older lenses, with manual aperture control and focus, and infinite focus distance, without adapted optics is a caveat of M43 that certainly attracts the more experienced users, case in point. DSLR's can't do it, M43 and NEX can.

lol, idiot.
    Last edited by Anbesol; 12-26-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    - Charlie

hello guys, sorry for reviving an old thread but i just bought myself a e-pl1 and i was wondering if if i could use (AF-S DX NIKKOR
    35mm f/1.8G) this lens with it, since i own one of those lenses i was wondering what kind of adapters, if needed, i could use? newbie here and totally clueless , thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSilva View Post
    hello guys, sorry for reviving an old thread but i just bought myself a e-pl1 and i was wondering if if i could use (AF-S DX NIKKOR
    35mm f/1.8G) this lens with it, since i own one of those lenses i was wondering what kind of adapters, if needed, i could use? newbie here and totally clueless , thanks for the help
    No because the apeture is controlled by the camera. Only old manual focus lenses will work on the m4/3rd cameras. Adaptors are all over EBay.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Old lenses work,

for the G lenses - with no aperture control - look for :
    olympus m4/3 g lens adapter

I have one and have used the lens you mention with pretty good results, the in camera stabilization , plus the big aperture, makes it really easy to use in low light using low ISOs

Greg - that only applies when adapting 43 lens to nex, because the aperture control is electronic. The aperture control in all other non CSC AF lens is mechanical, for Nikon DX Get the Nikon to M43 mount with G support, like Armando was saying.
    - Charlie

Thread Information