Canon G1 X - Micro Four Thirds Killer?

Canon just announced a new G-Series camera with a 1.5-inch CMOS sensor - that's bigger than the Micro Four Thirds sensor. The PowerShot G1 X has a non-interchangeable 4x zoom lens and will sell for $799.99.

Canon PowerShot G1 X Announcement >>

Do you think a non-interchangeable Canon compact can compete with the Micro Four Thirds cameras if it has better image quality? I'm really pleased to see Canon introducing this camera and I'm really curious about what our compact system camera users think since the G1 X is essentially in the same category, or at least competing for the same customers.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Canon G1 X - Micro Four Thirds Killer?

Excellent! But its almost as if they are trying to resist the move all the way to interchangeable lens. The inability for prime lens on this makes MILC a more effective tool for photography even with what will likely be lesser IQ. It may be a good lens, but its still a slow lens with limited range. Nonetheless, for the people whos needs are met by such a lens (most typical consumers), it looks to be a sweet rig. Psyched that canon put together such a machine. Certainly upped the ante from their G12. If only they could reduce the price a bit, at $800 its price is almost twice what M43 kits start at.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Excellent! But its almost as if they are trying to resist the move all the way to interchangeable lens. The inability for prime lens on this makes MILC a more effective tool for photography even with what will likely be lesser IQ. It may be a good lens, but its still a slow lens with limited range. Nonetheless, for the people whos needs are met by such a lens (most typical consumers), it looks to be a sweet rig. Psyched that canon put together such a machine. Certainly upped the ante from their G12. If only they could reduce the price a bit, at $800 its price is almost twice what M43 kits start at.
    Great news - and good for Canon! However, I would not trade the features of the M4/3 - for the same reasons stated above. I prefer the ability to change lenses, and the variety of lenses that have become available for the M4/3 cameras now - and hopefully more in the future. I would miss the nice wide Oly 9-18 and the prime lenses that I've come to enjoy. I also have come to like the touch screen.

I think it is a winner, though, and something that many p&s users that want to upgrade will certainly go for, although the price is a bit high IMO.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Liz

I mentioned this in the article, but I hope this is just their way to introduce the new sensor. This would be a great platform for them to build a compact interchangeable lens camera system on. Of course, the camera is great for consumers and pros who want a reasonably compact camera with great image quality. But lots of people are going to want more.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    I mentioned this in the article, but I hope this is just their way to introduce the new sensor. This would be a great platform for them to build a compact interchangeable lens camera system on. Of course, the camera is great for consumers and pros who want a reasonably compact camera with great image quality. But lots of people are going to want more.
    BTW, forgot to say that you did a great job on the article. :thumbsup:

Liz

looks like a fantastic camera

agree with the comments above, price and a single lens put it in a disadvantage vs other mirror less systems

If the image quality is there then yes I think it can. It looks like they are going the route of Fuji and their first offering won't have interchangeable lenses, but next year or the end of this year I think we may see Canon come out with an interchangeable lens camera styled around this one. I think it looks good and hard nosed Canonites will eat it up. The bigger sensor than m4/3rd is interesting I wonder how it will stand up to the NEX.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Built in 3 stop ND grad I like that.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information