I got a new job.

And theres a reason I posted it in this forum, I'm now the KC area Olympus rep! I'm really excited to be a part of the program. I'll be accumulating Olympus related knowledge henceforth, I'll be sure to blow up this forum with questions.

Like right now, I have a question.

I will be given an Pen, the E-PL1 or 2 (not sure which one yet, will find out when I start the training).

I am PSYCHED about it! I am psyched to finally own a micro four thirds system camera. The image grain is also cleaner at high ISO than my A700, not tremendously so, but 1600 and 3200 are both a little bit more usable. Unfortunately though, this difference is negated when considering the lens speed difference. I've been wondering about getting a fast lens for the Pen. Then I suddenly realized, that old Leica rangefinder I inherited, with the Zeiss 50mm (5 cm) f/1.5 lens, can be mounted to the Pen.

So, I thought I could pair that up with an adapter, like this - link

Does anybody here have any experience with these adapters? I am curious about the Pen's metering ability without aperture control. Is it just manual input only, no meter readout at all? Can it meter the shutter/ISO as if the aperture was a solid thing? How about infinite focus distance? Any input on the matter is much appreciated.

The image I uploaded is the old rangefinder of mine. I am excited to pair the two up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I got a new job.-dsc01867x800.jpg  
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Re: I got a new job.

Pairing the lens up to the E-PL1 body I mean.
    - Charlie

Yes I have used them and they work great. But the VF-2 is a must have. Remember the crop factor as well. The EP-1 is much better at shooting manual.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Ask all the qeustion you want. I have used both the EP-1 and EPL-1. I have passed them down to my step daughters who were in bad need of a compact camera. Plus I just can't stop using my M6/M3.
    The EP-1 and EPL-1 are great street cameras and hip shooting is easy. The VF-2 is awesome. I would pick one up if I were you.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I'm about to fly out to Dallas for an Olympus training event, where I'll get the E-PL1 (and confirmed it is the 1). I REALLY hope they hook it up with an VF-2 as well, they will likely set me up with the 40-150mm as well. Bah, we shall see.

You sound like a damned fine dad! lol.
    - Charlie

Congratulations!

Congratulations on the new job! That is very, very cool. Now we have a certified Olympus expert on the forums!

So what kind of gear has Olympus supplied you with so far? What are you most excited about with your new job?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

tell them you get lots of questions about the 100mm macro that's been announced in the 4/3 roadmap for ten years.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

I went to a training workshop where I got to play with all kinds of Olympus gear. The Pens, the VF-2, every micro four thirds lens and many of their standard four thirds lens. I really liked the 12-60 f/2.8-4, sort of like Canon's 24-105 except longer reach and faster (variably). A damned sharp lens.

So far I have been supplied with an E-PL1 kit. I may soon find myself receiving a TG-810 and VG-140, and whatever else they want to send me. The majority of the local camera market around here is tied up in Best Buy, which doesn't stock any Pen but the E-PL1 (in store).

I'm most excited to see the progress of the development of compact system cameras and "tough" cameras. Two areas of the market Olympus does a lot to lead and innovate in. Panasonic and Sony are really some damned fine competition and will be a challenge going up against.
    - Charlie

Like I stated I think Olympus is way ahead in the lens department. I use the 12-60mm 90+% of the time. I keep hearing rumors of a EP-3 that is more beefed up. Rumors of a E-PL3 as well.
    It seems Olympus is parting ways with the 4/3rd mount. I hope for an E7 sometime in the future.

Sony a99/a7R

I'll give up the 4/3 cameras for a m4/3 in rugged weather sealed goodness, assuming they start making some lenses in m4/3 that match. Right now I can't get past the suzie homemaker quality of the m4/3 line - not that it's bad, it just doesn't have the flexibility and quality that I need. Honestly If I'm going to burn that much money on a camera that lacks the olympus strong points (mid-grade lenses and indestructability) i might as well buy an APS-C and at least have higher base IQ...I'm willing to put up with the usually lowest-IQ-in-class sensors because the rest of the package is so good. Shame the m4/3 hasn't followed suit.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Thread Information