Thread: Love the NEX 7

Love the NEX 7

My a77 is in transit from repair and I won't get it till Tuesday due to the holiday weekend. So I have been using the NEX 7 for my landscapes. It really is a sweet rig. I think betwwen the a77 and NEX 7 I am set for a long time. Unless I have an equipment fairure I doubt I will be upgrading any more for some time. I may get the a900 later next year, but that's a big maybe.

Sunrise in the Woods by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Re: Love the NEX 7

Congratulations Greg! Great shot........it is great that you have 2 nice cameras, especially so that you can use one when the other is getting repaired. You really know how to get the best out of your equipment.

I can't help but remember all you went through with your accident and recovery for such a long time. I'm so glad that you are fully back into your photography life now.

You deserve the best, Greg! :thumbsup: Keep posting those photos!

Liz

Thanks Liz. I think the reason why I love sunrises is that now I know just how blessed I am to see another one.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    What lenses are you using with the NEX-7, Greg?
    John this one was with the Sigma 8-16mm. I am a little surprised at the sharpness on the corners. I wrote a review on it.

Sony a99/a7R

John here is my review. This was with the Simga 8-16mm.
    Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Reviews

Sony a99/a7R

What lenses are you using with the NEX-7, Greg?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    John here is my review. This was with the Simga 8-16mm.
    Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Reviews
    Yup, I saw your review for the Sigma 8-16mm lens, yesterday. I don't know if you remember but I had one for review and did a pro review with a video (Sigma 8-16mm Super-Wide Zoom Lens Review | Camera News & Reviews). I really love that lens and am sorely tempted to sell my Tokina 12-24mm f/4 and replace it with the Sigma.
    Photo-John

Nice video John and I agree I couldn't do without it. I also have the Sony 11-18mm so I can use an ND grad. So theres not a wider lens than the Sigma? Sweet.
    Have you shot any of the high end Sony's? The Carl Zeiss? I would love to know if it's worth sinking into one of those?

Sony a99/a7R

Greg - I checked out some of the high-end Sony glass at PhotoPlus and it looks and feels great. The only high-end Sony lens I've actually used is the 70-200mm f/2.8 and it is excellent - probably as good as the Canon and Nikon lenses. The reason I was asking you about lenses is I wondered if you'd used any of the Sony top shelf glass. I'm really interested in what Sony E-mount zooms are worthy companions for the NEX-7. The 18-55mm and 55-210mm kit lenses I used with the NEX-5N are just ok and I think it would be a shame to use those lenses on the NEX-7. It deserves better.
    Photo-John

The Zeiss 24mm f/2 and 135mm f/1.8 are in a class of their own, outperforming all of the competition in resolution/MTF. But those are A-mount, the only high grade e-mount lens available now is the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8. I haven't seen the MTF and other tests for that but it seems to be promising.

John - from the resolution/MTF and optical performance benchmarks of Sony's 70-200, it doesn't compete with the Canon's. It has the build quality and AF speed, but its bokeh and MTF isn't in the Canon ballpark. For use in that range I think people are better off with a Zeiss 135 and/or Minolta 200 f/2.8, both of which are best-in-class and combined only cost a little more than the 70-200.

*edit - actually, a 100mm f/2.8+ 200mm f/2.8 would be a prime pair that combined, cost as much as the 70-200, but are much better with performance.
    Last edited by Anbesol; 01-16-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: answered my own question
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Liz

John this one was with the Sigma 8-16mm. I am a little surprised at the sharpness on the corners. I wrote a review on it.
    Check out what Sigma is "focusing" on for now and the future!

Sigma interview: NEX and Micro Four Thirds are major focus - Imaging Resource

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    The Zeiss 24mm f/2 and 135mm f/1.8 are in a class of their own, outperforming all of the competition in resolution/MTF. But those are A-mount, the only high grade e-mount lens available now is the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8. I haven't seen the MTF and other tests for that but it seems to be promising.

John - from the resolution/MTF and optical performance benchmarks of Sony's 70-200, it doesn't compete with the Canon's. It has the build quality and AF speed, but its bokeh and MTF isn't in the Canon ballpark. For use in that range I think people are better off with a Zeiss 135 and/or Minolta 200 f/2.8, both of which are best-in-class and combined only cost a little more than the 70-200.

*edit - actually, a 100mm f/2.8+ 200mm f/2.8 would be a prime pair that combined, cost as much as the 70-200, but are much better with performance.
    100 f/2.8? Love my 200 f/2.8. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Thanks for the additional info. Remember what I'm shooting. I asked Sony for the 70-200mm f/2.8 when I was reviewing the A55 so I had a sports lens that was as close to what I'm used to as possible. And continuous auto focus performance was my biggest concern. It's possible that the Canon and Nikon are better but I was more worried about focus than ultimate image quality.

It's nice that we have people here with different photographic interests. It helps tell the whole story. I am totally aware that not everyone is as obsessed with continuous auto focus performance as I am
    Photo-John

True that, I didn't mean to say the 70-200 was bad, only talking about things purely in terms of IQ.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

My a77 is in transit from repair and I won't get it till Tuesday due to the holiday weekend. So I have been using the NEX 7 for my landscapes. It really is a sweet rig. I think betwwen the a77 and NEX 7 I am set for a long time. Unless I have an equipment fairure I doubt I will be upgrading any more for some time. I may get the a900 later next year, but that's a big maybe.

Sunrise in the Woods by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr
    I like how you framed the picture where the branch is pointing toward the rising sun. Nic pic.

Thanks James

Sony a99/a7R

ELS

Hi Greg:

Great capture, Composition is super nice..

Thanks for sharing...

Have a nice day,

Ed

Thread Information