Thread: Look out Leica

Look out Leica

Sony is coming to town. This is going to be interesting. I imagine the image quality of the next NEX will be off the map good.
    Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 will be the first Sony NEX-FF prime lens | Camera News at Cameraegg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Look out Leica

Interesting but weird.

- An f2.8 prime lens when everyone else is producing f2 or f1.4?
    - A manual focussing lens?
    - The Leica M optical viewfinder is one of the best parts of the camera. I imagine that the NEX FF viewfinder will be electronic. Lets hope the focussing aids are good (and accurate)

The Leica M sells in tiny numbers today. It sounds like Sony is trying to make an image for themselves with a niche camera.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I think Leica cameras are selling well. The 240 is in big demand for a micro company. Also I don't think the Carl Zeiss lens pictured is the actual lens. I think it will be in more in line with a Touit lens. Anyway it will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    Interesting but weird.

- An f2.8 prime lens when everyone else is producing f2 or f1.4?
    - A manual focussing lens?
    - The Leica M optical viewfinder is one of the best parts of the camera. I imagine that the NEX FF viewfinder will be electronic. Lets hope the focussing aids are good (and accurate)

The Leica M sells in tiny numbers today. It sounds like Sony is trying to make an image for themselves with a niche camera.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I'm talking about the Leica M series. Back in film days it used to be THE tool for getting into human life. Small, quiet, but with the best lenses on the market, it was as precise as a surgeon's blade - and pretty delicate to use as well. No automatic anything, and only spotmetering (when there was a meter at all).

Everybody who was serious about street photography had one. Didn't you have an M6? I still have my M4P.

Nowadays - well an APS-C DSLR is little bigger than a Leica and it's much easier to use and zoom lenses are so much more practical then primes. I still see film Leica M's on the streets of Paris but I have only ever seen two digital Leica M's and they were being used by a couple. I don't think they sell in any great numbers.

So if Sony comes out with something that looks like a Leica M, is priced like a Leica M and works like a Leica M (manual focus lenses) - it's quite unexpected.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Yes Charles I have an M6. I have had it quite awhile. It's still loaded with some HP5. Yes Leica once had the world by the tail. The type 240 is the latest M body. There is a nice waiting list to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    I'm talking about the Leica M series. Back in film days it used to be THE tool for getting into human life. Small, quiet, but with the best lenses on the market, it was as precise as a surgeon's blade - and pretty delicate to use as well. No automatic anything, and only spotmetering (when there was a meter at all).

Everybody who was serious about street photography had one. Didn't you have an M6? I still have my M4P.

Nowadays - well an APS-C DSLR is little bigger than a Leica and it's much easier to use and zoom lenses are so much more practical then primes. I still see film Leica M's on the streets of Paris but I have only ever seen two digital Leica M's and they were being used by a couple. I don't think they sell in any great numbers.

So if Sony comes out with something that looks like a Leica M, is priced like a Leica M and works like a Leica M (manual focus lenses) - it's quite unexpected.

Sony a99/a7R

Look out indeed

Agree, I like the recently announced Leica Q camera... will buy it one day...

Thread Information