Lens Questions and Hello

Hello everyone. Just registered here, after buying an E-PL1 kit with 14-42 lens. I also sprung for the VF2, as I am not a fan of LCDs in bright sun. I almost went for the 20/1.7 right away, but I figured I'd wait a bit and check out the camera and kit lens first.

I'm wondering if someone can point me at a good resource that covers the available lenses for the E-PL1? I suppose most anything works with an adapter(s), but I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. I also just purchased an OM-10 camera for my wife. Are there any old Oly film lenses that are real gems? I assume that no adapters allow AF or aperture control?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Looking forward to getting to know my Oly.
    Last edited by demiro; 10-09-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Re: Lens Questions and Hello

Well it really depends on what type photography you are into. I use the 17mm 2.8 and am very pleased with it. It is small and fast. If you like landscape photography I think you should be looking at the 9-18mm.
    Yes the OM glass will work on it but you will need a couple of adapters, OM to 4/3rd and 4/3rd to m4/3rd. Some of the old OM glass is still sought after and used. 24, 28 and 50mm still bring a nice price. Sorry you will have to AF.Check KEH. Just remember your x2 crop factor. 50mm will really be 100mm ect.
    Be careful with the VF-2. I have read that it will slip off. If you are out and about with it around your neck keep a close check on it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by demiro
    Hello everyone. Just registered here, after buying an EPL-1 kit with 14-42 lens. I also sprung for the VF2, as I am not a fan of LCDs in bright sun. I almost went for the 20/1.7 right away, but I figured I'd wait a bit and check out the camera and kit lens first.

I'm wondering if someone can point me at a good resource that covers the available lenses for the EPL-1? I suppose most anything works with an adapter(s), but I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. I also just purchased an OM-10 camera for my wife. Are there any old Oly film lenses that are real gems? I assume that no adapters allow AF or aperture control?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Looking forward to getting to know my Oly.
    Welcome to PR! I am a proud owner of the E-PL1 - and I love this camera. As Greg mentioned there are all kinds of lenses you can use with this camera. I'm giving you a link to B&H. On these 2 pages they have listed the Olympus and Panasonic lenses. As you scroll down the list, look for:

"for Micro 4/3 system" and "for 4/3 (four thirds) system"

You can use either - to use the 4/3 on the M4/3 you need an adaptor. The Panasonic adaptor is about $40 cheaper than Olympus - and they are the exact same. I have the Panny adaptor which works fine.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/SL...223+4291296566

This will give you an idea of the lenses you can use made for the M4/3 & 4/3

BTW, the IBIS on the Olympus cameras works with these lenses - regardless of brand which is a real plus!

You will really enjoy this camera. However, be aware there is a big learning curve. I'm a bit "technically challenged" and almost gave up in the beginning! But a little patience works well here.

Welcome!

Liz

Greg and Liz, thank you for the replies. I should have provided a bit more info I suppose. I am a Canon DSLR user. I am downsizing that system, and hope to only use it for sports/fast action. My main focus with E-PL1 is family stuff, be it indoor in marginal light or outdoors at an event. It will be my "convenient to have with me all the time camera", I hope. I like fast primes, thus the idea to go for the 20/1.7. I currently really like my 30/1.4 and 50/1.8 on a 1.6X crop body. So I see the 20 replacing the 30 pretty easily.

Thanks again.

Dean
    Last edited by demiro; 10-09-2010 at 08:38 AM.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by demiro
    Greg and Liz, thank you for the replies. I should have provided a bit more info I suppose. I am a Canon DSLR user. I am downsizing that system, and hope to only use it for sports/fast action. My main focus with EPL-1 is family stuff, be it indoor in marginal light or outdoors at an event. It will be my "convenient to have with me all the time camera", I hope. I like fast primes, thus the idea to go for the 20/1.7. I currently really like my 30/1.4 and 50/1.8 on a 1.6X crop body. So I see the 20 replacing the 30 pretty easily.

Thanks again.

Dean
    Dean,

Just to add - I have the E-620 with the 50mm/f2 glued to it. I had to sell my Canon dslrs and lenses after years of using just Canon because I couldn't carry around the weight after a car accident. I thought nothing would compare with my Canon gear.

I have never regretted the decision because the IQ and other features of the E-PL1 are awesome. I too use it as my every day - carry with me all the time camera and I love it! I purchased the E-620 because I wanted the beautiful 50mm/f2 (the Canon 50mm/f1.4 was my all time favorite lens). The 620 is light weight - and I basically only use it for this lens which is awesome too. I use the 40-150mm lens with the E-PL1 as it is also very light weight - and cheap at $100. It is a very nice lens - great for outdoors - sharp with those nice Oly colors.

I'll just add that I have the 20mm/f1.7 and it is an incredible lens. The IBIS works on this lens even though the lens is not stablized itself. It is great in low light - and almost any situation.

Enjoy - and keep us updated.

Liz

Liz

Just for your info.

The price has come down nicely from $399 to $328 on the 20mm/f1.7 at B&H. No tax unless you live in NY - and free shipping.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Aspheric.html

Amazon $335 - same deal - if you like Amazon better.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Asph...6627555&sr=8-1

Forgot to say - I have the VF-2. I haven't taken it off of the camera since I got it - it is so bright. I haven't had a problem with it coming off. One time it got stuck on something in my camera bag - and it moved about 1/4 of an inch - but snapped right back in place. I've worn it around my neck without a problem. But like Greg says, just keep an eye on it.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    ...Yes the OM glass will work on it but you will need a couple of adapters, OM to 4/3rd and 4/3rd to m4/3rd. Some of the old OM glass is still sought after and used. 24, 28 and 50mm still bring a nice price. Sorry you will have to AF.Check KEH. ...
    I guess this is a dumb question, but for anything other than 4/3 lenses to m4/3 lenses I will need two adapters? No other lenses are directly adaptable to m4/3 format?

Is there any issue with stacking adapters? I'm thinking I will avoid this anyway, but just trying to understand the lay of the land.

Thanks!

I've had the E-PL1 for about a month now. While part of me says that it really doesn't provide value, as it is too big to be truly convenient and cannot capture faster action like my DSLR, a larger part of me is very taken with the fabulous quality I get right OOC shooting in auto mode.

Pretty sure it is a keeper at this point. I'm going to add a 50/1.8 OM lens and the Pany 20/1.7 as well. Seems like a good investment at this point to help further define what my PEN can do.

As an aside, I recently picked up the highly regarded Samsung TL500. A nice P&S with a very fast 1.8 lens. While I like the camera, for a P&S, I felt it really didn't hold a candle to the IQ I see with the Oly. Not that unexpected I suppose, but for me it certainly validated just how big the step up is from a good P&S to micro 4/3s.

Thread Information