I got my ep-1 today

Well my EP-1 came in today just as described in the listing new in the box and never used. I took it downtown for a very short outing. I really want it more for a street camera. I will use my E3 for landscapes. Here is a picture of it next to my M6.
    Some of my first thoughts. I am going to have to get use to setting the shutter speed with the dial in the back. Also while I am shooting I always bumped the dial and changed the wb. I wish the shutter dial was on top of the camera in the place of the aperature dial, I wonder is the changeable in programming. the lens is fast an accurate a focuses well in low light.
    I think it is a keeper. In the shot of the lady I had a man charge out at me and give me some hard stares for taking the picture. I just walked off and no words were exchanged.
    The IQ is very good and the pictures nice and sharp but still not as good as with my E3. I shots these in raw and adjusted the in LR.

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Re: I got my ep-1 today

Wow! Good for you and Congratulations!!!!!

I think you will really like this camera, Greg. Yes, it takes a little getting used to - and for me the learning curve was BIG! And time consuming. However, I'm a bit "technically challenged" so I took it slow.....very slow. However, most people don't have the need for "explanations for dummies" version.

There have been some firmware updates, but I hadn't done any of them as I didn't find anything critical that I needed to change. You can check on the Olympus website for them.

The photos look really good. I love the last one! Nice capture.

I look forward to seeing more - and how you and the E-P1 are getting along.

Liz

Very nice, Greg. That last photo of the woman, through the door, is a real winner. Good catch. Love your street photos and that one is a classic.

One thing about the Olympus cameras is they are very, very customizable. I believe you can switch the dials around with the E-P1 like you can with the DSLRs. And if you're finding the image quality of the E-P1 not as good as your E-3, I expect it's just the lens. Probably a bit of extra contrast and sharpening in post will polish them right up, too. I like the 12-megapixel sensor better than the 10-megapixel sensor that was in the E-3. But I like the 12-60mm Four Thirds lens a lot more than any the Olympus Micro Four Thirds zooms. I'm waiting for a Micro Four Thirds version of the 12-60mm. That will be a happy day
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks Liz, John, Yes I am sure I am going to be happy with it. As the m4/3rd systems grows over the next few years I am certain the newer cameras will just continue to get better. The touch screen will be sweet. I am glad I finally got one.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Thanks Liz, John, Yes I am sure I am going to be happy with it. As the m4/3rd systems grows over the next few years I am certain the newer cameras will just continue to get better. The touch screen will be sweet. I am glad I finally got one.
    Greg,

I have found that the EP1 and EPL1 AF is quite a bit faster when using the Panasonic lenses. And you have the best of both worlds - the faster AF with Panny lenses and the IBIS with Oly. :thumbsup:

John is correct - you can switch/re-route the control buttons.

Liz

I switched the buttons. It was rather complicated I had to turn on the custom menu first. I may have it to do all over again because I think it needs a firmware upgrade. But the more I use it the more I love it. It sure is a sweet little camera.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information