I did it! E-PL1

Printable View

• 02-25-2010, 02:10 PM
    Liz
    I did it! E-PL1
    I just had to share this here! After reading the VF post below from PJ in response to one of my posts - I ordered the E-PL1.

Quote:

We had some technical problems the first day at PMA and I ended up giving my 7D to Poker for video and using an E-PL1 review camera that Olympus gave me for review that day. I was very, very happy with the EPL1. I actually think the IS in the E-PL1 worked better for me than my Canon EF-S 18-200mm IS lens.
    As I shared in the VF thread, my plan is to sell my E-P1 and LX3 and purchase the E-PL1 to use as my carry-with-me every day camera (replacing the LX3). I'm also thinking about purchasing another small/lightweight Canon dslr (probably XSi) for the dof, and smooth bokeh when doing portraits, flowers, etc. I really miss this since selling the XTi.

At the beginning of February I pre-ordered the black E-PL1 and would prefer black, but the first shipments only included the blue and gold/champagne. There is no shipping date for the black as of yet, and all the dealers except Amazon are sold out of the colors now. So I "compromised" and ordered the gold/champagne which looks more like silver - at least online. I guess I can live with that!

I thought if I get the E-PL1 before purchasing the Canon, it might hold me for a while until more M4/3 lenses are available before I make a final decision on the dslr purchase.

Liz
  • 02-25-2010, 04:17 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: I did it! E-PL1
    Congratulations, Liz! I sure hope you like it since you based so much of your decision on stuff that I said :)
  • 02-25-2010, 04:32 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Congratulations, Liz! I sure hope you like it since you based so much of your decision on stuff that I said :)

Well, I watched your video, read your posts - but also did more research. And this last post was the icing on the cake! It sounds like a winner. :D

I'm still looking at the Canon XSi as a companion for portraits, flowers, etc., but I think it's a good idea to take a break and see what this is capable of. Maybe I will wait a while for the Canon - just to see what M4/3 lenses come down the pike. Maybe with different lens options on the E-PL1, I can get the effect I'm looking for in the Canon. But I do love those Canon cameras!

I'm psyched about the E-PL1!

Liz
  • 02-25-2010, 04:39 PM
    Photo-John
    Next week, when I get back from LA, I'll see if I can do some comparison photos with the XSi and E-620. I have both cameras and the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4. So I think I've got it covered :)
  • 02-25-2010, 05:06 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Next week, when I get back from LA, I'll see if I can do some comparison photos with the XSi and E-620. I have both cameras and the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4. So I think I've got it covered :)

Thanks! Sounds good to me. In the meantime, have a good week.

We are covered with our 3rd - or 4th snow storm in NJ. We've already had between 6-10 inches and the storm is coming back stronger - NJ will get between 6" and over 2 feet depending where you live. We're sort of in the middle.. Hopefully we won't lose power (had a transformer go down this morning). The snow is very heavy and the winds are going up to 50mph tonight with snow on & off until tomorrow night. But I don't know why I'm telling people this - John and many of you live like this most of the year!

I hope UPS will get here tomorrow with my camera!

Liz
  • 02-25-2010, 07:23 PM
    Greg McCary
    Congrats Liz, If you check PJ's link to the PMA and click on Olympus you will see they have a couple of lenses coming out. 9-18mm and 40-150mm, I think without looking. But go check. Let us know what you think. My biggest problem with the m4/3rd is I just can't get the E3 out of my hands. Now that I have the 12-60mm the performance is so good I had rather just live with the weight.
  • 02-25-2010, 09:26 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Congrats Liz, If you check PJ's link to the PMA and click on Olympus you will see they have a couple of lenses coming out. 9-18mm and 40-150mm, I think without looking. But go check. Let us know what you think. My biggest problem with the m4/3rd is I just can't get the E3 out of my hands. Now that I have the 12-60mm the performance is so good I had rather just live with the weight.

Greg,

Thanks! I will check. I do have the 40-150mm - but it is 4/3 (not M4/3) so I need the adaptor with it.

I know what you mean about the E3. I really love the E-P1 and the E-PL1 is similar, but smaller with a flash. I'm going to use it as my every day camera. I'm looking at another (lighter weight) Canon dslr (XSi) and the 50mm/f1.4 lens which was my favorite. I love the way the Canon feels in my hands and the beauty of the images I got from the 50mm/f1.4 lens. Miss that!

Thanks for you kind comments.

eta: Wow! I checked out the lenses and they are awesome. The longer one is actually 14-140 (vs 40-140 like mine). My one concern is they look expensive! I'm sure they will be out shortly. Thanks for telling me.

Liz
  • 03-04-2010, 01:19 PM
    Liz
    My new black E-PL1 kit arrives tomorrow. It took a while to get the black one in stock everywhere. I ordered from Amazon.

I already sold the E-P1 kit last week - fair deal for everyone. I'll post some pics over the weekend.

Liz
  • 03-04-2010, 03:45 PM
    Greg McCary
    I can't wait Liz. Do you want me to drive to woodstock and get you the 50mm .95? I am not far from there.LOL
  • 03-04-2010, 03:55 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I can't wait Liz. Do you want me to drive to woodstock and get you the 50mm .95? I am not far from there.LOL

Yes, of course. That is, if you want to pay for it! :cool:

BTW, in case anyone is wondering - I chose to get the black - that's why it took Amazon so long to ship it. :D

Liz
  • 03-05-2010, 12:53 AM
    SmartWombat
    If you want a narrower DoF then try old school :)
    Use the micro 4/3 to 4/3 adapter, then a 4/3 to OM adapter, and an old manual 50mm f/1.8 lens.
  • 03-05-2010, 06:10 AM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    If you want a narrower DoF then try old school :)
    Use the micro 4/3 to 4/3 adapter, then a 4/3 to OM adapter, and an old manual 50mm f/1.8 lens.

Thanks, Paul. Good idea. Presently I have the 4/3 to M4/3 adaptor and no legacy lenses.....Yet.

I did see some really nice shots wih narrow dof - and smooth bokeh done with the Panasonic 45-200 lens on the E-P1 and E-PL1.

Liz
  • 03-05-2010, 02:03 PM
    SmartWombat
    Got one, found it was a little difficult to use at long range - nothing focussed.
    Exchanged it, and the GH-1, and it was better.
    But still not great.
    I posted some shots with that and both the GH-1 and E-P1 in the nature forum.
  • 03-05-2010, 03:35 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Got one, found it was a little difficult to use at long range - nothing focussed.
    Exchanged it, and the GH-1, and it was better.
    But still not great.
    I posted some shots with that and both the GH-1 and E-P1 in the nature forum.

I think I had the right thread - I think there was a typo - you referred to the "20-200" lens instead of 45-200. The shots look pretty good, but yes, some of these lenses don't focus all that well, unfortunately.

Liz
  • 03-05-2010, 04:14 PM
    SmartWombat
    yes typo, 45-200
    I found it soft at mid distance, around 50 yards.
    There's also vignetting wide open.
    You can see as it got darker and went to max aperture the vignette gets more noticeable.
    I would be interested if yours is better.

I also tried out the Sigma 50-500 on the E-P1
    If you don't mind manual focus and the 4/3 adapter on your tiny little E-PL1
    Then it is an insanely long lens for a tiny body :)

I think P-J will want me to write up my experience.
    I managed to hand hold it - the IS in the E-P1 is great.
    I know that I am not that good :(
  • 03-05-2010, 04:36 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

yes typo, 45-200
    I found it soft at mid distance, around 50 yards.
    There's also vignetting wide open.
    You can see as it got darker and went to max aperture the vignette gets more noticeable.
    I would be interested if yours is better.

I also tried out the Sigma 50-500 on the E-P1
    If you don't mind manual focus and the 4/3 adapter on your tiny little E-PL1
    Then it is an insanely long lens for a tiny body :)

I think P-J will want me to write up my experience.
    I managed to hand hold it - the IS in the E-P1 is great.
    I know that I am not that good :(

Paul,

I beg to differ with you, you have explained technicalities that even I can understand. You're very good at articulating - and you understand the equipment. What more could we ask for???

Let me just add, that I'm very grateful to you for all you've help me with, and for all you contribute to this forum. I love reading your posts, they are quite interesting, informative, lots of samples - and include a variity of topics! So thanks! Please write! :thumbsup:

My E-PL1 arrived today so I will take it out on the weekend and "report" back. I'm really looking forward to this weekend. After low temps, snow for weeks - both old snow and new laying around, rain, gray skies, etc., this weekend will be a delight with 2 sunny days and the temp between 50 & 60F. :thumbsup:

ETA: speaking of photos.....how is your kitty-cat, btw? I haven't seen any pics lately - unless I missed them.

Liz
  • 03-07-2010, 06:33 AM
    SmartWombat
    Ah, kitty has a weight problem.
    The vet says she's a lovely cat, but a bit heavy.
    She spends all day comfortable on the bed, sleeping.
    We've been cutting down on her (IAMS) food, and we'll see if that works.
    If not we need a harness she can't get out of, and we can take her out for a walk/drag.
  • 03-07-2010, 08:51 AM
    Sushigaijin
    Congrats on the new camera, Liz. I can't wait to hear your report; I'll probably switch to m4/3 when they come out with what I need (which they don't have now), so I'm interested to see how they are shaping up.

Totally OT: Paul, try a cat food with no grain. Most commercial cat foods have grains, which makes perfect sense since cats are obligate carnivores. you'll notice a shift in weight, behavior and coat condition. Cats aren't designed to eat corn, wheat, gluten, or the other garbage they put in cat food. In a pinch, the Fancy Feast Gourmet (wet) turkey and giblets meal contains none of the offending ingredients. I would say it is superior to IAMS (which is a well respected brand, but based in shoddy science). That doesn't mean Fancy feast is the best, but it's better to feed a plate of lips and tails than an ounce of filet mignon in a hamburger bun.
  • 03-07-2010, 11:00 AM
    Liz
    Erik.......

I didn't have enough time to try any unfamiliar settings, but I had an hour while in NY yesterday so I took some pics - on auto - straight out of camera. Here is the link (on VF). The camera did quite well for being in auto!

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ad.php?t=62287

Liz