Got To See The Pentax Q

Yesterday I got to see the Pentax Q in person, at the Outdoor Photo Expo, here in Salt Lake City. I have to say, it's much more striking in person than it is when you just read about it. Since I don't think very many people have seen it yet, I took a ton of pictures and wrote an short article about my impressions.

Pentax Q Mini System Camera Sneak Peek >>

The photo below is the Pentax Q in front of the Olympus E-P3. Makes the E-P3 look huge, huh? After seeing the camera I'm really looking forward to seeing what they manage to wring out of that little sensor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got To See The Pentax Q-pentax-q_oly_ep3.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Got To See The Pentax Q

Yeah..my 1st post:thumbsup:

Awesome forum and happy to finally join.

The Pentax Q appears to be a nice little pocket camera, but with a small sensor it makes me look at Sony now.

I been using my brothers Nikon D90 and have been holding back from getting a Micro Four Thirds Camera cause I thougt those sensors were small vs. the D90 Now, with this new Pentax Q it seems like its going the opposite direction.

Maybe that tiny sensor is super efficient and has equal performance to a much bigger counterpart..who knows? Im more confused as to why Pentax did this.

bigC

Quote Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post
    Maybe that tiny sensor is super efficient and has equal performance to a much bigger counterpart..who knows? Im more confused as to why Pentax did this.
    Finally - someone commenting on my big scoop!

Welcome to Photography REVIEW.com!

I think we're all wondering why Pentax made the Q - or at least, if it's going to sell. The sensor is the big question. However, after seeing it in person I can say that it's small size is attractive. You can see in the photo here how much smaller the Q is than the Olympus E-P3.
    Photo-John

Yup..

A good review I would like to see is the Pentax Q vs. Fuji X50.

The X50 has a 1/2in Sensor, which I beleive is still smaller then traditional 4/3 Micro Cameras at 225mm^2.

Two baby cameras with baby sensors:mad2:

Officially, the X50 is still just a rumor ;)
    Photo-John

Pentax Q Sample Photos

Ohhh - what do we have here - Pentax Q sample photos!

Official Pentax Q Sample Photos >>

These are on the Japanese Pentax Web site and the highest ISO they're showing is only 200. We'll have to see some independent tests at higher ISO settings before we can really pass judgement. That said, the ISO 200 image does look pretty good. I'm not sure it's competitive with the current Micro Four Thirds cameras, but it looks good.
    Photo-John

Maybe that tiny sensor is super efficient and has equal performance to a much bigger counterpart.
    Physical size will forever be a limitation of optics.

M43, NEX and Samsung prices are on the fall lately, some even in the $300-$400 price range. I think that trend is compounding the already outrageous asking price of $800 on the Pentax Q. I think they will need to rethink this price point or they will be forced to by lots of unsold inventory. I'd rather have 2 G12's or XZ1's, or one of each. The Q couldn't have any more than a slightly marginal image quality increase over them (if any).

Did you ask the Pentax guy exactly what it is you get for the $400 extra they charge?
    Last edited by Anbesol; 08-26-2011 at 10:15 PM.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

I got the Q 2 days ago and love its small size. I also have the K5 and am now trying to get used to the tiny Q. The reason I bought it was because I saw how great the photos are from a number of friends who have bought the Q when it was first launched.

i got the white colour as it looked Q-uter

Welcome to PhotographyREVIEW.com, Felix! I'd love to hear what you think about the Q. Please write a user review for us. Here's a the Pentax Q user review page:

Pentax Q Reviews

From what I've read, the Asian market appreciates small cameras more than we do here in North America. We're obsessed with image quality here and have a hard time balancing that with usability and practicality. And I don't think we appreciate cute as much, either
    Photo-John

Thread Information