Thread: The G1

JimB

The G1

Hi

I needed to replace my secondary camera to go to places that taking my Nikon to that would not be a good idea. So I retired my Konica-Minolta A2 and I pruchased a Panasonic G1, with the 14-45 mm and 45-200 mm lenses. I am still learning the camera and all it's controls and settings and having fun.

There are things that I think Nikon should take note and include in there next camera. And there are things that Panasonic should pay more attention to.

The EVF viewfinder is very very good and the control icons are well placed and easy to understand and manipulate. The LCD is also very good and I like the fact that it can be flip so it it can be hidden from normal ware and tear and scratches.

The pictures I have taken are very good but some looks like the focus is a little soft but the exposures are right on.

The G2 has some minor changes in the control locations which may be a plus. But the video mode I can do without. And the touch screen, I don't know if I would like or not since I have some sweatty hands, probably not.

Overall I think Panasonic has a real winner with the G series cameras.

JimB

Re: The G1

Jim-
    I got tired of looking at your lonely, unresponded-to post. It's a shame no one replied. It's a good post and a nice mini review of the G1. I think the Micro Four Thirds cameras are a very good choice as a compact backup/replacement for a DSLR. The G1 is also a great replacement for your old Konica Minolta. Is there anything you miss about the A2? The Konica Minolta A-Series superzooms were great cameras back when they were current. I reviewed the A200 in 2004 and really liked it. We've come a long way since then, though.

I hope your G1 is working well for you. I'd like to see some photos you've shot with it. And I'd also really like for you to post a real review in the user reviews - when you're ready, of course
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

JimB

Hi

Thanks for the reply and your comments.

I was getting poor exposures the last several months, after owning it 4 almost 5 years. Since Konica-Minolta is out of the photo business I just decided to get a mew camera.

The G-1 was a little more than I wanted to pay, but I am glad that I did. It is a great camera. Easy to hold and carry along on long walks or hiking. At the User's Gallery, I have some images that I took all the pictures with the exception of the Red Tail Hawk that are dated 16 June 2010 are taken with my G-1. The image of the Heron is a favorite.

Thanks again

Take Care

JIM

JimB

The G-1 is a great camera, and I have used it a lot when I go the park with my puppy. It is lighter and easier to deal with and take pictures and deal with a pup pulling on a leash.

The areas in which I would like Panasonic to improve on the G series:
    1. The "shutter lag". It is longer than my Nikons. Which makes it difficult for sports and action shots. When I press the shutter release it seems twice as long as with my Nikons.
    2. Better battery life. I go through the battery charge in 40 to 50 exposures less if the flash is used.
    3. Better selection of Lenses, and faster apatures.
    4. Better location of the AF assist lamp. Due to my Arthritis I hold the camera and my hand is always in the beam of the lamp.

I know this is a little picky and personal evaluation but it is how I think Panasonic can improve the G series.

JimB

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Improve? They already did.
    The GH-1 and G2 have vastly improved battery life, using the EVF I can get over 200 shots on a charge.
    Micro 4/3 lens selection is improving, and you don't have to use Panasonic lenses.
    Though since the GH-1 and G2 don't have sensor-shift stabilisation getting image stabilised lenses is more important than with the Olympus mft cameras.

Shutter lag is treatable, you can take some of that away by shooting in M mode so the camera doesn't have to calculate the exposure, and if your action is predictable use manual focus too.
    But you can't get rid of all the lag.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

G1 is a bargian now. Got my kit (14-45) for about US$400. Lens is better than average.
    It's been a while now and several new models are out up to the GH2. But I'm a bit of a minimalist and I love the fact it doesn't have video, infact I would have bought it even if it didn't have the hefty LCD, which is always folded away. As you can tell, the EVF I love the most. If they can make these even smaller and not lose the EVF (like maybe a NEX+EVF), I would buy another one.

I also did'nt agree that they moved the dial to the back with the G2 as my face is always there.

Thread Information