Thread: EVIL Doer

EVIL Doer

I have joined the ranks of EVIL users. The Panny GF1 seemed like the perfect camera for me at work. I purchased the kit with the 14-45 lens. I haven't taken it out for anything serious yet, but so far it seems like a solid little camera and will more than make up for my G9. The 45-200 is next on my list followed by the 20mm pancake.

The G9 was a bit disappointing for me as I could easily see noise in the shadows even at ISO 100, it was completely unusable at anything over 400, it just produced a noisy mess. I have always been a big fan of the G series of cameras, and the G9 was OK, but I think the little Panny is leaps and bound above it.

I hope to get out and be a little more serious with the GF1 next week, and put it through its paces. For right now I have been reading the manual and trying to figure out where I need to go to access the features that I use the most. So far the biggest disappointment I have had is the "my" menu. I had hoped I could populate it with stuff I used the most, but it appears to populate with whatever I've used last. I imagine this will eventually settle down to what I use the most, but I would rather be able to program it.

I am trying to settle on a small case that I can use to carry this thing. I am looking at the Crumpler 2 million dollar home, and the Kata DC437. I want to be able to carry the 14-45 and 45-200, a spare battery, a spare card, and various sundries including the charger(maybe). Any input on a proper bag will be appreciated.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Re: EVIL Doer

Good job on the new camera! Please write a review for it once you get to know it. I agree that it's a more than worthy G9 replacement. Since the Micro Four Thirds cameras hit the streets I've been recommending that anyone looking at the Canon G-Series or Panasonic LX3 get a Micro Four Thirds camera instead. They are much, much better cameras for only a bit more money.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Congratulations! I think you will really like the GF1. I was very happy the first time I used my E-PL1......Much easier to carry around - and the IQ is unbelieveably excellent......even better than I expected.

Don't forgot to post some images when you start snapping. :thumbsup:

BTW, you wouldn't be interested in my case.....it's shaped somewhat like a woman's purse!

Liz

Katherine

Grats on the new camera! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your shots and hearing your thoughts on the camera as well

Like Liz, I also have the E-PL1. I'd also like to get a couple extra lenses (I'll probably go with the 17mm and I want to look into the 14-150 but it will just depend on my budget).

I like the Crumpler 2 mil bag! That's kind of what I had in mind for a bag originally. I picked up a Lowepro Impulse 110 bag on sale at BestBuy. I only have the camera and the 14-42 lens in the bag right now, but it seems like it will be roomie enough for at least another lens or two in the main compartment. (I tried the camera, the 14-42 lens, a Zuiko 50mm and there was a good bit of space left over.) There is only one padded divider so I'm going to find out if it's possible to get another one. The front and side pockets have plenty of room for extra cards or batteries. The part of the charger that holds the battery will also fit in the side pockets, but you wouldn't be able to cram the power cord in the same pocket. Overall I really like the bag so far. Little disclaimer: I am a newbie so I'm still figuring out what works and what my needs/wants are. (I know that Impulse 110 is billed as a video/camcorder bag but I liked the wider, longer strap. I was shopping locally and I liked it better than the other options I saw.)

Kat
    Last edited by Nyreth; 05-08-2010 at 06:14 PM.

I have a small Domke bag I love. Just big enough for the camera and an extra lens. Congrats as well for joining the Evil clan.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I've been really busy at work, and I haven't had much time to play around with the new camera. I was hoping things would be a little slow at the beginning here but things started out with a bang. At least a busy season means lots of cabbage in my pocket, and I now have the complete compliment of Panny lenses 14-45, 45-200, and 20mm.

Of what I've seen so far, the RAW files seem more neutral than the Canon RAW files, maybe a little on the dull side. But of course that can be punched up easily in post. Noise is pretty much a non issue, much, much better than my G9.

I almost think Panasonic incorporated too much into this little body, I find myself constantly going back to the manual to figure out how to do this or that with it, especially now that I am playing with the video features. I guess now I see how daunting an SLR can be to a newbie, as I am finding the video controls to be fairly intimidating right now.

Photos to follow when I get some time. Full review to follow, also depending on that time thing.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Thread Information