Liz

E-P3 - touch screen question

I recently purchased the E-P3......

This is also my first experience at using a touch screen of any kind. For some reason I'm finding it a bit of a challenge with all the touch screen options/features available on the LCD.

My question: sometimes when I want to use the screen it does not always respond quickly and sometimes it appears to stop (freeze) momentarily - and other times it responds so quickly that the screen moves from one thing to another while I am trying to adjust something - or just focus.

Unfortunately since I purchased the E-P3 my schedule has been hectic - along with really bad weather on the weekends so my photography time has been way too limited.

The E-P3 is a bit of a learning curve for me - but I really like this camera! I just need to get my act together and be sure everything works since the return period is about to expire.

I just want to be sure that the above situation is due to my lack of experience and/or practice - and not a defect.

Thanks for any input and/or info.

Liz

Re: E-P3 - touch screen question

It could be a minor processing issue, or it could be that the oils of your finger were not conductive enough at the angle you used it for that brief moment. I'm not entirely sure though, have you tried duplicating the problem? Is it frequent/rare? I think if you try to duplicate the problem and experiment you could find out the culprit, whats causing it. I am sure that if it was something faulty with the camera, Olympus would take care of you beyond the retail return period.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    It could be a minor processing issue, or it could be that the oils of your finger were not conductive enough at the angle you used it for that brief moment. I'm not entirely sure though, have you tried duplicating the problem? Is it frequent/rare? I think if you try to duplicate the problem and experiment you could find out the culprit, whats causing it. I am sure that if it was something faulty with the camera, Olympus would take care of you beyond the retail return period.
    I haven't been able to duplicate it although I have tried. I am always surprised when it happens. However, I think it is happening mostly when I decide to use the touch screen to focus after having used the shutter button for a time. Sometimes it happens when I first turn the camera on.

Also at times when I am focusing from the screen I am unable to go from focusing to actually taking the picture from the screen.

It does not happen frequently. And it doesn't help that I get frustrated when it does at times I least expect it to!

I purchased the camera from Olympus directly. Their return policy encourages you to exchange the camera if there is a problem vs returning it. I don't want to keep it over the return allowance period because I've read that Olympus doesn't always return cameras quickly from repair. However, I think the problem is me - at least I'm hoping it is!

Thanks for your help.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Charlie - I believe I found the answer:

I just tried it all again - from the beginning. It's my fault (thankfully).

I think it must have been initially set to focus and shoot because I was able to do both the first time I used the camera. Somehow the setting got switched - I must have inadvertently touched the green menu box on the bottom left as it stopped focusing. Then I must have inadvertently touched it at another time, and it would focus but not shoot. I thought the screen froze. At any rate I think my problem is "inadvertently" touching the wrong part of the screen.

I could use some clarity/help with the other touch features - editing, right slide bar, etc (Megan or PJ or anyone who has used the E-P3). I am a "show and tell" person........the manual is not the E-P3 owner's best friend!!! Any hints on using these features might help me learn faster.

Thanks,
    Liz

Thread Information