e-p2, erratic image stabilization

I was wondering if anyone with a e-pxx, or particularly an e-p2, noticed some IS issues when shooting at slow shutter speeds. I've noticed that at around 1/20s, more or less, I will occasionally get excessive blur in my images. It happens only occasionally and only occurs at slower speeds as stated. I'm using the m.zuiko 14-42.

While it looks like camera shake to me, I know it's not. The blur looks like I had a hand tremor, but I know I have steady hands. I've turned IS off and taken the same shot when I encounter the blurring, and get a better image with the expected amount of shake 100% of the time.

I've read reports on anomalous blurring at imaging-resource, but that seemed to only occur at higher speeds (~1/125s) and with the older firmware.

Re: e-p2, erratic image stabilization

I have an ep-1 and have noticed that the IS doesn't performed as well as it does on my E3. I have no proof. It also depends on what focal length you are shooting. I use the 17mm.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I haven't noticed it at any particular speed with my E-P1.
    I can tell when I'm shaking too much because instead of a soft buzz from the I.S. there is a harsher rattling noise. That is when it hits the end stops and can't move far enough to compensate for my shake.
    If I am still enough, then the I.S. works relatively quietly and it reliably stops the shake.
    It's really noticeable around 1/8 second and slower, as it shakes long enough to hear it working (or not).
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I should add that I notice this only when zoomed to 35mm or more. For me, it's not a matter of the IS not performing as well per se, but that the IS appears to make the image more blurry than it would've been with it on. Almost as if it's over compensating and unnecessarily shifting the sensor. It's not a big deal, since I normally avoid shooting anything that slow, but I'm just wondering if it's me or my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I haven't noticed it at any particular speed with my E-P1.
    I can tell when I'm shaking too much because instead of a soft buzz from the I.S. there is a harsher rattling noise. That is when it hits the end stops and can't move far enough to compensate for my shake.
    If I am still enough, then the I.S. works relatively quietly and it reliably stops the shake.
    It's really noticeable around 1/8 second and slower, as it shakes long enough to hear it working (or not).
    This is interesting, I've never noticed/heard this. I'll have to pay attention next time I run into my blurring problem.

Thread Information