Dolomiti - Olympus E-P3

This is a photo of the Dolomite Mountains in Northern Italy, taken during Jenni and my honeymoon, with the Olympus E-P3 Pen camera. The word "epic" is much abused these days but I really think it applies here.

This is one of the first E-P3 photos I've been able to process from the RAW and I am very pleased. Lightroom doesn't support E-P3 files yet so I'm using the Olympus Viewer 2 software. It's a bit clunky as far as workflow goes but it gets the job done and I am very pleased about the quality. Apparently, DxO has rated the image quality of the E-P3 lower than the previous E-PL2. But that doesn't match my experience with the two cameras. Maybe I am just dazzled by the new camera but my *feeling* so far is the E-P3 is much better than the E-PL2. I need to get some studio tests up so I can do a real comparison but I can't help but wonder if DxO got a bad E-P3.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy this photo. I still have tons more from the honeymoon but got delayed by work and the need to set up a new photo server when we got back. It's been a couple of weeks and I am just now getting around to looking at the photos again. There are lots more to come. Prepare yourselves
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dolomiti - Olympus E-P3-_7190749.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Dolomiti - Olympus E-P3

That's so cool John. I read the focus speed was really quick with the E-P3. I wonder if the AA filter is thinner like the E5? The E5 got low DXO marks as well but I really saw some improvement with it too. Maybe not as much as I would have liked but still forward progress. I wonder just how much IQ can be squeezed from the smaller sensor and keep it affordable. Is Olympus close to as much as they can get?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

John,

This is a beautiful shot. I'm looking forward to seeing lots more! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing them with us.

After viewing your E-P3 photos from your honeymoon and reading Megan's great review of the camera, I took the leap and purchased the E-P3. It just arrived a few days ago - and I'm waiting for the weather to clear up so I can try it out although I've shot a few rounds of my impatient models (Molly & Jeremy).

I just could not resist the touch screen, the fast AF - and all the other amazing features. I love the feel of the camera too. As much as I'm enjoying the E-PL2, I fell in love with this camera even before I saw it in person. I have to say that I haven't been so excited about a camera since my Canon days!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    I wonder if the AA filter is thinner like the E5? The E5 got low DXO marks as well but I really saw some improvement with it too. Maybe not as much as I would have liked but still forward progress. I wonder just how much IQ can be squeezed from the smaller sensor and keep it affordable. Is Olympus close to as much as they can get?
    Yeah, the E-P3 has a thinner AA filter, just like the E-5. I don't remember but I think I included that in my intro article. I have studio tests from the E-P3 done but haven't had a chance to post them yet. I never posted any from the E-PL2 but I still have the camera so I will make and post them so we can compare for ourselves. Of course, DxO does scientific testing and we will conly be comparing by eye. That said, sometimes we can detect things that measuring instruments aren't capturing. I wonder if that's the case with the E-5 and E-P3. There's a subtle tonality and smoothness to the E-P3 files that I definitely didn't see with the E-PL2.

Keep your eyes open for the studio tests. I will post a link in the DxO thread you started. That's what got me thinking about the image quality. I hadn't even considered that there might be a compromise in image quality with the E-P3 until I read that post. And based on what I've seen from both cameras, I am having a hard time believing it. Do you know if DxO tests more than one camera? I don't unless I see a noticable problem.
    Photo-John

Beautiful place !

Cool!

That's great, Liz. It isn't too heavy for you is it? The E-PL3 is even smaller than the E-PL2 and it has a tilting LCD and the same sensor and auto focus as the E-P3. Off the top of my head, I think the only thing it doesn't have is the OLED touchscreen display. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your new camera
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    Beautiful place !
    It is insane, Armando. That was my second trip to the Dolomites and they are one of my favorite places on earth. So far...
    Photo-John

Liz

Re: Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    That's great, Liz. It isn't too heavy for you is it? The E-PL3 is even smaller than the E-PL2 and it has a tilting LCD and the same sensor and auto focus as the E-P3. Off the top of my head, I think the only thing it doesn't have is the OLED touchscreen display. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your new camera
    Actually I was surprised at the weight when I first took it out of the box - and wondered if it would be too heavy. However, after attaching the shoulder strap and wearing it around here for a while, it feels very light. I think it is heavy for it's size - but nothing compared to my Canon dslr and those nice (heavy) "L" lenses!

Hopefully tomorrow I will take it outside. It is raining quite hard at the moment. I will let you know as soon as I give it a shot so to speak. I can't wait!!!

ETA: I checked out the E-PL3, and even with the lower price, I just had to get the E-P3! That touch screen rocks!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    ETA: I checked out the E-PL3, and even with the lower price, I just had to get the E-P3! That touch screen rocks!
    Except when it's on and you don't know it and you take 25 pictures whuile the camera bumps against your belly
    Photo-John

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Except when it's on and you don't know it and you take 25 pictures whuile the camera bumps against your belly
    I'm glad you brought that up. I read somewhere there is a way to turn it off (not mechanical, but internally. Have you tried that? I'm wondering if it is a quick and easy way to do it? I can't figure it out.

Liz

In Action

And this is what you do with that Dolomiti backdrop - put something pretty in front of it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dolomiti - Olympus E-P3-_7190728.jpg  
    Photo-John

Liz

Wow! Beautiful shot! :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to more! Keep them coming. Love the ones of Jenni.

Liz

amazing pictures.

I need to get a Evil Camera soon

Thanks!

Thanks for the comment. Glad you enjoyed the photos. Still got lots more but no time to process.

You don't need an EVIL camera to take photos like these. Mostly, you just need to travel. But it sure doesn't hurt to have a very compact system that's easy to carry and performs as well as the E-P3
    Photo-John

Thread Information