• 11-02-2011, 02:00 PM
    Photo-John
    Checked Out The NEX-7 At PhotoPlus
    Since I think the NEX-7 is the coolest camera introduced so far in 2011, I made sure to really check it out at PhotoPlus. Not enough to call it a review, of course. But I did go over it as thoroughly as I could at a tradeshow. And I am impressed. I'm still excited about it. It did not dissappoint in any way. Can't wait to get one for review!

In the meantime, you can read my first impressions article if you want to know more:

Sony Alpha NEX-7 First Impressions >>

Please ask questions and comment on the article! Your comments, questions and abuse will help me when I get one for review and they make the article page more useful :)
  • 11-02-2011, 03:07 PM
    Liz
    Re: Checked Out The NEX-7 At PhotoPlus
    Wow! This was quite an interesting read about a very interesting camera! Thanks!

You did a fine job with the pre-review John - even without the photos. I hope you get a copy soon.....I can't wait to see some images, and to know what it's like to handle it.

No.....not thinking of getting one! I still love the E-P3 - it's as far as I go for a while.

BTW, what will they be asking for this camera (almost afraid to ask). :D

Also, about a week ago, while reading about the problems with Olympus Corp. I saw an article about the Nex7 being delayed due to flooding. Is this true? It doesn't sound like it by the fact that Sony had it available at PhotoPlus - and that they promised to send you one. Hopefully it's not true.

Thanks for posting - and especially for your report.

Liz
  • 11-02-2011, 03:41 PM
    Greg McCary
    I can't wait John. My a77 arrived today. I am charging the batteries now. It focuses very fast.
  • 11-02-2011, 05:37 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    I can't wait John. My a77 arrived today. I am charging the batteries now. It focuses very fast.

The A77 looks great! I was surprised by how beefy it was. I will have a first-impressions article up about it as well. Although I gave the NEX-7 more attention than the other Sony cameras. It's not that the A77 doesn't deserve attention. But it's a little more predictable than the NEX-7.

Can't wait to start seeing some photos and getting some performance reports from you. Post some stuff as soon as possible! I'm very curious about that sensor. It seems like they seriously overdid the resolution. The proof will be in the pudding :)
  • 11-03-2011, 01:54 AM
    Greg McCary
    John I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can.
  • 11-10-2011, 02:46 PM
    NoKnees
    I'm bummed that I, like most people, am going to have to wait a while before I can get my hands on this camera. It's the new camera that I'm most excited about, followed closely by the a77... But like you said, the a77 was a bit more predictable, still quite a camera though...

Looking forward to more full reviews, and mostly, just getting a chance to play with this camera in person. Like many, I wish there was a version with the 5n's sensor, but I think the 24mp sensor will be fine once the raw converters have some time to be fine tuned for it.

Tempted to grab a 5n with EVF to hold me over... Better not wonder too near a SonyStyle store anytime soon...
  • 11-10-2011, 04:49 PM
    Photo-John
    The NEX-5N
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NoKnees View Post
    once the raw converters have some time to be fine tuned for it.
    Tempted to grab a 5n with EVF to hold me over... Better not wonder too near a SonyStyle store anytime soon...

Take a look over at the right-hand column and you'll see I just posted an NEX-5N first impressions article, as well. I'm actually trying to get the 5N for review because it will be more popular. I was also surprised how nice it felt in the hands. I was expecting it to be more point-and-shooty. But it's a solid body with nice controls. I think a lot of people would find it was a lot more camera than they expect.
  • 11-10-2011, 05:52 PM
    Greg McCary
    I am hearing now due to the floods the Nex 7 has been pushed back until Feb. it my be old technology before it ever hits the market.
  • 11-11-2011, 10:05 AM
    NoKnees
    P-J, just read the article. Nice summary. Hope you can get your hands on one sooner than later for review. Would like to hear your feedback on how you think the AF works for real action use. I've been eyeballing this or the 7 as a lighter weight option for backcountry snowboarding and backpacking trips...

And Greg, yah, the floods have made for bad news for a large part of the tech sector, but especially Sony's cameras... really bummed out about it... Some say March for delivery... ;(

Wondering if there is anything they can do in the meantime to work on the software for the Nex-7/A77 in regards to higher ISO options and maybe some lower resolution tuning options to boost the image buffering in the fastest burst modes. Heck, I'd even pay an extra $100 if they can squeeze some more buffer memory in there to double the buffer size before it needs to slow down/clear things out. I think the technology will still be plenty relevant at least, but some minor performance tweaks to better use it might be in order...

Anyway, good stuff...
  • 11-11-2011, 01:46 PM
    AgingEyes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NoKnees View Post
    Wondering if there is anything they can do in the meantime to work on the software for the Nex-7/A77 in regards to higher ISO options and maybe some lower resolution tuning options to boost the image buffering in the fastest burst modes. Heck, I'd even pay an extra $100 if they can squeeze some more buffer memory in there to double the buffer size before it needs to slow down/clear things out.
    Anyway, good stuff

Sure they can. But, only $100 more? And you want it to be like a D3x ?? :D

I guess you do get what you pay for.
  • 11-14-2011, 12:23 PM
    NoKnees
    Honestly I'd be interested in the cost/trade-offs that came into play when deciding how large of a buffer to equip the camera with. Sure, there is overhead involved in managing memory, but.... I can see it tuned down a little in the Nex line of cameras, but for the a77? It's not like it's going to steal market share from any other Sony cameras by bumping the specs a little more in this area...

The ISO, I'm just thinking of fine tuning. I know the sensor is the limitation here, but there seems to be a wide variety in the quality of images coming out of the these cameras when comparing jpg and raw and best processing of both. Seems like something that can be improved with time and effort, which is money, but not exactly D3x money.. ;)

Anyway, if you don't ask, you don't get... I'm just asking... Can't hurt, right? :) :)
  • 11-14-2011, 04:50 PM
    Greg McCary
    About the only thing that can be done on the consumer end would be to use high end memory cards, I guess.
  • 11-15-2011, 12:55 PM
    NoKnees
    True. At least with a high end UHS-1 SD card, you can insure a quicker buffer unload time between bursts. Most of my shooting is in quick bursts, lasting under a second anyway. However, with good AF tracking, I would be more inclined to try to shoot some longer bursts from time to time. Then again, just shoot video in that case? Naw....

Looks like I can get my hands on an a77 locally now for a weekend rental to see how it works for me in practice.. My biggest fear is that I'll love it... ;)

In other good news, Sony has converted a nearby factory in Thailand to pick up production of their mirror-less cameras. So, as of this week, they are building the Nex-7's again... No ETA on when shipping will start on them though...