• 03-18-2011, 07:46 AM
    havana_joe
    Bought the Panasonic Lumix 20mm 1.7 for my E-PL1!
    I was originally going to get the VF-2 viewfinder, but I'm so used to using the live view that I decided to just get this lens instead an get the VF-2 later.

I have not taken a lot of shots with it yet, but here are some immediate first impressions:

1. Lens is a good size and looks great on the black E-PL1
    2. With the 14-42 stock lens, ISO usually stayed in the 1000-1600 range inside my apartment with medium lighting, with this lens it stays in the 200-350 range
    3. Autofocus seems a bit faster than the 14-42, plus it does not "hunt" as much with lower light.
    4. Slight whirring noise but not as loud as I was expecting based on some online threads/comments
    5. Seems to be a bit of an issue when using the E-PL1 flash. There is a pre-flash and then about a 1 second delay before the flash fires. With the 14-42 the delay is nowhere near as long. It's as if the body and the lens are having trouble deciding what to do with the pre-flash information.
    6. Colors are good, but look a little bit warm and slightly dark to me. Easily corrected in PP, and the settings I'm using in program mode were set for the 14-42, so I may need to change a few settings and see what happens.
    7. Focus is sharp where intended
    8. 46 MM clear filter attached cleanly (I'm one of those always-use-a-filter-for-protection people)
    9. Had some trouble with attaching the lens to the body. Lined up the red dots and turned the lens, it got about 90% on but then got very tight without clicking into place. Backed it off, tried again, second time it got about 95% and the same thing happened. Tried a third time and it went right on and clicked into place. Since the 14-42 goes on and off without any issues, I'm thinking that maybe there was a slight burr or incomplete groove in the threads, but I've taken it off and on a few times now and it's working fine.
    10. Packaged fine, came with a pouch and instruction manual
    11. This might be my imagination but it seems like the camera body was a bit warmer than normal after about 15-20 pictures in a row. With the 14-42 I don't notice the body getting warm unless I take 40-50 pictures in a row. This could be a sign that this lens is forcing the camera to use more power than the 14-42.

I will be giving it a workout this weekend and will try to post a few pictures later!
  • 03-18-2011, 08:21 AM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Bought the Panasonic Lumix 20mm 1.7 for my E-PL1!
    I had the 20mm until I gave it to my step daughter. I think you will be happy I was always impressed with the fast focus. Make sure you update the firmware it will make it even faster.
  • 03-18-2011, 08:42 AM
    havana_joe
    Oh, thank you for that! How does one update the firmware? I did the update for the E-PL1 itself, but never for a lens? Thanks in advance!
  • 03-18-2011, 09:08 AM
    Greg McCary
    Same way as the EPL-1 just have the lens attached to the camera and it will update the lens.
  • 03-18-2011, 09:21 AM
    havana_joe
    Greg, you are the best! I will do this tonight. Thank you!
  • 03-18-2011, 06:09 PM
    Greg McCary
    I think told you wrong. It's a Panasonic it's a little more complicated to update firmware.
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...ts/index2.html
  • 03-21-2011, 06:29 AM
    havana_joe
    I tried the standard method and it turns out my lens already had the latest firmware, but thank you for the link! Didn't get to use the lens much this weekend, although I played with it a little bit. I really need to get outside and start using it!
  • 03-21-2011, 05:17 PM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by havana_joe
    I tried the standard method and it turns out my lens already had the latest firmware, but thank you for the link! Didn't get to use the lens much this weekend, although I played with it a little bit. I really need to get outside and start using it!

Yeah, I been slacking with mine too. I need to hit the streets.