The $4000.00 NEX 9

Printable View

• 07-09-2013, 11:49 AM
    Greg McCary
    The $4000.00 NEX 9
    Sony is setting a blinding pace. They have to be selling a lot of cameras. I don't care what anyone says. I am so glad I am onboard with them. I feel like going to Sony was one of the best moves I ever made. Or else I would be very jealous. This one however is just out of my league.
    Camera News at Cameraegg
  • 07-09-2013, 12:11 PM
    OldClicker
    Re: The $4000.00 NEX 9
    We'll just have to see what it offers - there's always a second mortgage.

Closer to reality - the RX100 II has caught my attention. Finally a P&S that has all the features I am looking for (needed the flip out LCD that the RX100 didn't have). Of course it costs more than most DSLRs. Maybe by Black Friday it will have come down and I can find a deal.

Terry
  • 07-15-2013, 10:33 AM
    Photo-John
    Terry - I think you mentioned in another thread that there are rumors Sony's A99 replacement may be a mirrorless camera. Does that mean the NEX-9 might replace the A99? Or was that another rumored camera you were talking about? Personally, I don't see the point in a full-frame mirrorless camera - unless it just happens to be mirrorless. For me, the mirrorless camera movement is all about portability. And that's why I still like the Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras the best. I think they strike the best balance between size and performance. The problem with a full-frame mirrorless camera is the image circle is so big that the cameras would be too big. I mean, look at the already existing full-frame mirrorless camera - the Leica M. It's a beautiful camera but it's a very different animal from an OM-D or and NEX-6. It's just too big to compete in the same category - even if the price was more competitive.
  • 07-15-2013, 12:41 PM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Terry - I think you mentioned in another thread that there are rumors Sony's A99 replacement may be a mirrorless camera. Does that mean the NEX-9 might replace the A99? Or was that another rumored camera you were talking about? Personally, I don't see the point in a full-frame mirrorless camera - unless it just happens to be mirrorless. For me, the mirrorless camera movement is all about portability. And that's why I still like the Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras the best. I think they strike the best balance between size and performance. The problem with a full-frame mirrorless camera is the image circle is so big that the cameras would be too big. I mean, look at the already existing full-frame mirrorless camera - the Leica M. It's a beautiful camera but it's a very different animal from an OM-D or and NEX-6. It's just too big to compete in the same category - even if the price was more competitive.

Rumors are that Sony may have made it's last SLT and that all future bodies, no matter what size or form, will be mirrorless (2014). It is assumed that they will rely on main sensor PDAF, but...? An upgrade of a current SLT or two to cover next Christmas has not been ruled out.

My best guess at this time for future APS-C and FF is that:

- NEX will continue with bodies being the same as the current models (APS-C) as well as an FF model (to be announced soon) including FF E-mount lenses. All the NEX FF stuff will be high $.

- There will be at least one APS-C and FF 'SLR' form for the 'advanced amateur' (or well off poser, like me) in A-mount (or possibly hybrid mount) (to be announced this fall). These will replace the A-77 and A-99.

- The smaller/cheaper 'SLR' form APS-C bodies (to compete with the Rebels) will become a hybrid mount accepting both E-mount and A-mount (maybe E-mount plus adapter).

- Lenses from Zeiss will continue in both mounts as well as from the Olympus/Sony collaboration (I find this very exciting).

- The FF Cybershot (RX1) line will continue.

Lots of bumps when hitched to the Sony wagon, but it sure is exciting. My current wish is for the new RX100-II (1" sensor - whatever that means) with the added flip up/down LCD. Maybe by black Friday???

Terry