Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Who's got the 5D?

Can anyone post some examples using iso 1600 and 3200? I shoot this high frequently, and the 20d is doing okay with it, but I'd love something that does better.

If you could post the full photo, and then a cutout showing the noise up close, that'd be great.

Thanks!
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Canon EOS 5D Pro Review and Studio Samples

Adina-
    Have you ever looked at the pro reviews on this site? They all include controlled studio samples at all ISO settings. Here's a link to the 5D pro review:

Canon EOS 5D Digital SLR Pro Review >>

And here's a link to the 5D studio samples from ISO 50 all the way to to ISO 3200. We also have samples from the EOS 20D shot the exact same way so you can accurately compare:

Canon EOS 5D Digital SLR Sample Images >>

Something to note about the 5D - since it has significantly higher resolution, even if the camera didn't have lower noise, it would still be better since the noise is effectively smaller. But the 5D not only has more pixels, but they're larger pixels, so noise should be less of a problem. I think you'll be very impressed at the high ISO perfomance of the EOS 5D.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Who's got the 5D?

I've never seen those!

Thanks!
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: Who's got the 5D?

Hi adina
    I have posted a number of photo using a Canon 5D in recent weeks. A large number were taken at 1600 and 3200 ASA. The noise is considerably lower on the 5D than on my 350D and the dynamic range also seems to be greater on the 5D. All the photo I have taken are in raw format, then tweak them up and converted to JPEG using either using Gimp raw converter or the raw converter that comes with the cannon software. In most cases it is just a straight conversion. The photos take at 3200 ASA can very greatly in noise depending on the amount of light around. If taken slightly over exposed and then brought back to normal, the noise is as low as on 1600ASA or less. You probably ask why not take it at 1600 ASA in the first place. It does seem to make a difference pushing the whites down instead of pulling the blacks up. I believe it has something to to with the logarithmic output from the CMOS sensor. The other noticeable effect is when the image is reduced in size to 1200x800 that I use to post on the web. This also has a profound effect in reducing any noise.

Thread Information