Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

"in store" extended warranty worth it?

Going to be buying an XSi here very soon (maybe tomorrow 5-20). Wondering if Canon's warranty is good enough or is it worth it to purchase an extended warranty from where I buy the camera. I'm likely buying it from Best Buy and they want 150 for a 4 year "black tie" service plan which covers things like one replacement for a defective battery, usual defect fixes, and things like damage from dust and condensation.

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar

Re: "in store" extended warranty worth it?

I never buy any extended warranty for any product. Two reasons, these policies are usually full of weasel clauses and limitiations. Secondly, most equipment is very reliable these days.

I keep the money, and if I do need any repairs, just pay for it myself.
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

Quote Originally Posted by straightarm
    I never buy any extended warranty for any product. Two reasons, these policies are usually full of weasel clauses and limitiations. Secondly, most equipment is very reliable these days.

I keep the money, and if I do need any repairs, just pay for it myself.
    And you have a one year warranty from Canon as well.

I wouldn't buy the XSi from best buy unless they're on sale there. You can get one from B&H or Newegg for $50 less at regular retail.

Thanks, yeah I don't normally buy extended warranties either with a few exceptions, but I wanted to check in this case for opinions . Yeah best buy actually has the XSi on sale this week for the same price as Newegg or I'd be over there. I may still have to because it looks like one store has it in stock in my area now, and that's if their website is still correct.

... Drat it, did you have to tell me that? I will not buy it at Best Buy and pay the 10% cook county sales tax! No! Bad Cara! Quit thinking of it! It'll take $70 on to the cost...

Any idea if they carry in silver? My stolen one was silver... Doh! No! I won't! (runs off the curse Todd Stroger and his sales taxes) :P

I think if I'm going to order mine online I better do it now before I end up at best buy...

I remember seeing a silver model on their website, however I don't know if any were still in stock. I DO remember that was "available online only", I just can't remember if it was tagged as "sold out" or "on backorder". I did call that one store in my area claiming to still have some, go figure it's the one that's the biggest pain to get to, and they have 4 in stock.

Hmm I just did some calling around and found out there is a Ritz camera near me that has it. I think I may end up going there instead. It's about $50 more but comes with some free classes, $50 gift card, and they're offering a $300 50-250 lens with the XSi for $100. I can't find that deal at best buy. They're even offering price matching so maybe I can get that whole deal for the BB price plus adding on the lens. Anyway, I know this is a bit off my topic but since it drifted to who/where to purchase I thought I'd add this in

Is that the 55-200 ef-s IS? It's a nice lens, I got mine used, but have had no complaints at all with it. Got some nice portraits of a friend's dog I was dogsitting and made her owner really happy.

Finally broke down and put my B&H order in for a new XSi.

Actually it's a 55-250 ef-s IS I believe. I'm always seeing these listed as going to 250, I don't think I've seen a canon lens at any of my local chain stuff that was to 200 but I could be wrong. I just checked the Ritz site for instance and I see only 55-250 and I see also 70-200 and 70-300 both of which are not IS lenses.

funny 'cause I had my 5Dmkii on order at Ritz but after three months I hadn't gotten it yet, so I went to best buy and bought it there. I told them about everything Ritz offered, and they gave me a better deal to get my business.

I couldn't get the 5Dmkii anywhere online.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Normally, extended warrantees benefit the store, not the buyer. Play the odds, and save your money.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Well, got the camera from Ritz yesterday, yeah I definitely don't think their extended warranty/service plan is worth it. 138 a year, after a couple years you've bought a new camera :O Unless something happens in the first year or two I think it's probably much more worth it to just go buy whatever the new model is in the same price range if something happens. Anyway, still getting things set up, haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Thread Information