• 03-03-2010, 02:57 PM
    irish-ii
    Rebel XT or Rebel XS? Newbie to DSLRs.
    Hi everyone :) I'm scouring the web on anything I can find on DSLRs, especially real opinions. I've been interested in photography for about 4 years and especially the past year, I've decided I want to do my own photography business, specializing in horse shows.
    So, I'll need a DSLR that can handle shooting action shots (jumping etc) that still has good image quality...tall orders as my budget is very limited but I don't need a super high tech DLSR as this will be my first one and I've only used them a couple of times.

So, I'm looking into the XT or XS. My family has always had Nikons and they're amazing cameras, but they're generally too expensive for me (the D70 and D40 are in my price range but I want something with more megapixels for really high res prints).
    I've used the XS before and just adored it...it was great for the portrait, close up, and landscape work that I tried it on and hopefully the kit lens that comes with it can live up to the XS's good reputation by taking nice action shots. I'd get the XS, but it's a bit out of my price range...however I'm willing to pay that much more if it's a far superior camera that could be a really good investment.

Basically, what I'm wondering is this: any major difference in the XT and XS? Besides megapixels and all. If the XS is just a more fancy toy with a few cool new features, then I'll go with the XT. I just need something that can take good action shots.
    Any opinion on your personal experience with these cameras? Things to stay away from? Or would you recommend something else entirely?
    Thanks! =D
  • 03-03-2010, 04:40 PM
    mjs1973
    Re: Rebel XT or Rebel XS? Newbie to DSLRs.
    Welcome to the Forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by irish-ii
    Basically, what I'm wondering is this: any major difference in the XT and XS?

Yes, there is one huge difference between these 2 cameras. The XT has been out of production for a few years now! So unless you're looking at used gear, you may have a hard time finding an XT. Based on that alone, the XS would be my choice between these 2 bodies. :)
  • 03-03-2010, 04:59 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Hi everyone :) I'm scouring the web on anything I can find on DSLRs, especially real opinions. I've been interested in photography for about 4 years and especially the past year, I've decided I want to do my own photography business, specializing in horse shows.
    So, I'll need a DSLR that can handle shooting action shots (jumping etc) that still has good image quality...tall orders as my budget is very limited but I don't need a super high tech DLSR as this will be my first one and I've only used them a couple of times.

So, I'm looking into the XT or XS. My family has always had Nikons and they're amazing cameras, but they're generally too expensive for me (the D70 and D40 are in my price range but I want something with more megapixels for really high res prints).
    I've used the XS before and just adored it...it was great for the portrait, close up, and landscape work that I tried it on and hopefully the kit lens that comes with it can live up to the XS's good reputation by taking nice action shots. I'd get the XS, but it's a bit out of my price range...however I'm willing to pay that much more if it's a far superior camera that could be a really good investment.

Basically, what I'm wondering is this: any major difference in the XT and XS? Besides megapixels and all. If the XS is just a more fancy toy with a few cool new features, then I'll go with the XT. I just need something that can take good action shots.
    Any opinion on your personal experience with these cameras? Things to stay away from? Or would you recommend something else entirely?
    Thanks! =D

Try here - KEH.com is a very reputable online store. Although they sell all the new cameras, they are the largest used photo gear dealer in the US. Excellent customer service, too - my own personal experience.

Check their inventory here - scroll down the page to find at least 5 or 6 used XT's - not sure about XS. However, their inventory changes and they get more equipment in frequently. They have a 14 day return and 90 day warranty on used items.

http://www.keh.com/Class-Products/1/DC/2/79269/WG.aspx

Here is the link to their Canon "outfits" - meaning includes a lens. I didn't see the XT - but there are a few XTi's.

http://www.keh.com/Class-Products/1/DC/1/79269/WG.aspx

Liz
  • 03-03-2010, 05:02 PM
    BlueRob
    Have you thought about the XSi? It is better than the others that you mentioned for almost the same price and it is well worth the difference IMO.
  • 03-03-2010, 05:08 PM
    irish-ii

Yeah, I definitely expect to get a used camera, any way you look at it...I can't afford the brand new XS either so I'm looking for a refurb/used model.

Mike- you'd go with the XS instead because it's newer--meaning that there would be more support for it, right? That's the only real advantage I see...

Thanks for those links, Liz, I'll definitely be checking those out! :)

BlueRob- Actually, no, I haven't looked at it...but I know I should =D Thanks.
  • 03-03-2010, 05:32 PM
    mjs1973
    I was saying the XS because of the two, it's the only one you can still get new. Nothing to do with support.

The XS will have newer technology than the XT and I'm assuming the image quality would be better but I would have to see some sample photos to be sure.

What kind of budget are you working with?
  • 03-03-2010, 07:49 PM
    CaraRose
    Being an XSi owner, I have to say it's a sweet little camera.

I owned the original DRebel and the jump in technology from the 300D to the 450D is pretty incredible. Better image quality, better screen (The teeny tiny screen on the 300d was fairly useless for actually looking at your shots), and a much lighter package. The XT was only the next generation up from the 300D, so it's probably lagging quite a bit in various elements.

That said, the original DRebel, with it's 6.1mp sensor, took kick @$$ shots as well. But I don't regret the upgrade in the slightest.
  • 03-04-2010, 06:10 AM
    mjs1973
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CaraRose
    That said, the original DRebel, with it's 6.1mp sensor, took kick @$$ shots as well. But I don't regret the upgrade in the slightest.

I'll second that for the most part. Where my DRebel let me down was the noise at ISO's above 200. I still have and use my DRebel once in a while but only when I know I don't need a high ISO. I feel the XT would be in the same boat. I'm sure it's a little better than the DRebel, but not much. Based on what you said about shooting action (horse shows) you are going to want something with decent higher ISO image quality and I don't think the XT is going to give it to you.
  • 03-04-2010, 06:39 AM
    CaraRose
    Just to add, if you shoot horse shows you will need a telephoto lens. In fact you probably would want a good super zoom (since you're stationary at the rail and you'll want to be able to frame a shot wherever on the horse is on the course).
  • 03-04-2010, 04:35 PM
    irish-ii
    I can only afford about $400 at this point, and as much as I'd love a big lens like you mentioned, Cara, I really can't afford that...I figure that I'll put the 18-55mm to good use even if I upgrade to a big 55-250mm.

Going with the XS. I tried it out at the store today (not the best place to, but I got to mess about with it) and I know I can get a really good deal on it :) It seems the best one for my needs.
  • 03-04-2010, 08:31 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

I can only afford about $400 at this point, and as much as I'd love a big lens like you mentioned, Cara, I really can't afford that...I figure that I'll put the 18-55mm to good use even if I upgrade to a big 55-250mm.

Going with the XS. I tried it out at the store today (not the best place to, but I got to mess about with it) and I know I can get a really good deal on it :) It seems the best one for my needs.

Congratulations! I'm glad you're getting a good deal within your budget. I think you made a fine choice - the XS is a nice camera. Keep us updated - and post some of your shots.

It's really exciting to get new equipment - we all relate to that feeling! ENJOY!

Liz
  • 03-07-2010, 12:19 PM
    irish-ii
    Thanks Liz =D It's arriving on Wednesday, so I'm pumped about it! I caved and bought a 75-300mm with it as well since I found a good deal on it and I'll need it in the future...we'll see how it goes =D
  • 03-07-2010, 06:22 PM
    photophorous
    I guess you already decided, but I just wanted to mention the lens. The XS comes with the newer, significantly better, IS version of the kit lens. That is reason enough to go with the XS.

Have fun!

Paul