Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Thread: Canon EOS 550D

Canon EOS 550D

Hi all

Have just ordered a Canon 550D + 18-135mm lens kit. I already have a Sigma 100-300 lens.

A question - if you had a choice between the above, or a 550D + 18-55mm & 55-250mm Twin Lens kit for £50 more (both lenses are made by Canon), which would you go for?

Mark

Re: Canon EOS 550D

I think you made a fine choice. I don't know about the quality of the Sigma lens you have. But your lens choices give you excellent coverage. Why spend more to get pretty much the same focal range? In my opinion, the only reason you should spend more is for better lenses. And for that you'd have to be spending about twice as much or more per lens. For what it's worth, more expensive lenses really are worth the money. I think they're usually a better investment than new cameras.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Have just spoken to the camera people re delivery date. They reckon I'm better off with the 18-135 than with the twin lens kit cos the 18-135 is mid-range whereas the twin lens kit is bottom-end, with polymer not glass elements and a plastic not a metal mount.

It would have been different if the 18-55 and the 55-250 were mid-range - apparently Canon do 3 ranges, the bottom, the mid-range and the L-series.

The Sigma doesn't have a name, but says on the front 1:4.5-6.7 UC and also says Ø55. I've only used it a handful of times, so it's effectively brand new even though it's 13 years old!

Quote Originally Posted by ilesmark
    Have just spoken to the camera people re delivery date. They reckon I'm better off with the 18-135 than with the twin lens kit cos the 18-135 is mid-range whereas the twin lens kit is bottom-end, with polymer not glass elements and a plastic not a metal mount.
    Yup. And I agree with them. If you're really serious about your photography and you want to step it up in the future, start saving your pennies for the 70-200 f/2.8L. I think everyone should own one
    Photo-John

The Sigma doesn't have a name, but says on the front 1:4.5-6.7 UC and also says Ø55. I've only used it a handful of times, so it's effectively brand new even though it's 13 years old!
    Hmmmm - that's a very, very slow aperture lens. My guess is it's not the best lens ever made. But it will get the job done while you save up for something better
    Photo-John

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar

that sounds a very old Sigma lens and even if it fits onto your new camera, it might very well not work properly, and given the possible age it might not be possible to get it rechipped

Check exactly which Canon 18-55 is being offered. The latest IS version is a very capable performer. Also, the 55-250 is an IS lens and a very capable performer. I think the twin lens offer at £50 more is the better deal
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

Stick with the 18-135 and the sigma, you will thank yourself later. Sure the sigma is a cheaper lens with lower image quality, and you might find it performs slowly on your much newer camera (it will work though) however the 18-135 will give you better photos that the 18-55 and you won't need to change lenses as often. As PJ said if you still feel you need a quality lens with a longer focal length then you can take your time and save up. I don't own a 70-200 2.8L (just in case you didn't know canon names all its "pro quality" lenses with an L in the name) I do own a 200mm 2.8 L and a 70-200mm f4L both of which I bought second hand and I have to say the 200mm fixed rarely gets used these days but the 70-200 is on almost all the time. I also have a 35-105 mm lens that came with my eos 5 (not the 5d but the film camera) so that lens is more than 15 years old and still works well on my new digital cameras. In its day this lens was probably the equivalent of the 18-135 (although I know I would much rather the newer lens) and the combo of these two lenses kept me happy for a long long time.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Hi all

I ended up going with the 18-135, esp as the camera shop people advised me to do so even though it meant they made £50 less from me.

I tried putting the old Sigma 100-300 zoom on it and it didn't work properly, so thinking it was a problem with the body I called the shop and they arranged to send me a new body. THEN I was discussing it with a friend and the result of that was we ended up trying the body with one of his L-series lenses and it worked faultlessly, so when I told the camera shop about this they remembered re the compatibility issue with Sigmas and newer bodies. So after that, called Sigma to discuss and it transpires this lens can't be chipped. They offered to swap it for a newer lends at 50% off list price, or advised me to put it on AV and open the aperture up as wide as poss - it now works OK. Happy days!

Sigma Half Off Offer

called Sigma to discuss and it transpires this lens can't be chipped. They offered to swap it for a newer lends at 50% off list price, or advised me to put it on AV and open the aperture up as wide as poss - it now works OK. Happy days!
    That offer for a 50% lens is super sweet and not to be passed up, if you can afford it. Were there any limitations on the offer? Did they limit it to a comparable lens or put a time limit on it? Because you could come out way ahead with that deal, if you've got the cash flow.
    Photo-John

Thread Information