Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Question on Canon IDs Mark III - Digital Camera Shooting Information

Can this Digital Camera Shooting image/scene information be downloaded somehow to a spreadsheet format, Such as an Excel Spreadsheet?

I have a new digital camera (Canon 1Ds Mark III). I have also developed an Image File System for film and digital images and would like to preserve the data captured by my new camera on each frame as part of this file data system.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Question on Canon IDs Mark III - Digital Camera Shooting Information

I just hover the cursor over my photos and the exif data is shown. This only applies to digital though.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

The EXIF information can be extracted by software, so you probably could put it in a spreadsheet.

I googled EXIF EXCEL and found several ActiveX controls that you could use if you're going to automate it and write your own VBA programs to put the data into spreadsheets.

I'm a programmer and I've decided not to bother, I use Lightroom and Thumbs Plus to organise and view my photos.

Both programs use databases and there are utilities available to read those databases and extract data from them. But why bother? Lightroom does what I need.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

SmartWombat

I use FileMaker Pro for my photo file data base. However, I need to upload to a mysql data base on my web site. I Presently go from FMP to Excel SYLK then to programmer who uploads to MYSQL data base.

Does this make sense to you? Can you offer suggestions on getting the camera data programmed to go into my FMP data base?

Thanks

PhotoChief

drg

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoChief
    SmartWombat

I use FileMaker Pro for my photo file data base. However, I need to upload to a mysql data base on my web site. I Presently go from FMP to Excel SYLK then to programmer who uploads to MYSQL data base.

Does this make sense to you? Can you offer suggestions on getting the camera data programmed to go into my FMP data base?

Thanks

PhotoChief
    If you are running an Apple environment, I'm not going to be a great deal of help other than:

1. You will need Aperture (best/worse choice) as a front end to the FMP data base. Otherwise you or a programmer will wind up reinventing the world. There is an APERTURE link module available for FMP.

2. FMP needs very expensive hard ware to function with even modest databases with all the network/server/enterprise functionality enabled. A large file camera, like any of the 1D series and even the 5D's will generate big databases, even if indexed. One has a tendency after a time to shoot lots of similar photos, or tag, keyword, and index them in ways that generate large files. [see below ]

3. What you describe as a workflow sounds incredibly redundant when Lightroom or Aperture are built to sort images without external functionality.

4. Should you need the Verification functions of the Canon files (to prove which camera they came from and were not 'tampered' with) FMP doesn't support that 'legally'. At least as of April/May or 2007. [see below]

5. ADOBE Lightroom, quirks and all, includes SQL definitions (not easily accesible in 1.xx vers) but it is there.

6. You are still going to need a RAW translator and editing functions that are not the realm of a DB application.

The 'below' -

Two+ (start 3-01-2006) years ago in deeply researching this whole topic, a number of vendors were trying to sell the next and latest image databases and 90+% didn't have any concept of what they were doing. Most said they'd implement whatever was required, but they didn't all take into account time, licensing costs, etc. The best case solution we (Photos by CD Price) decided upon still wound up with major bugs after so many thousands of images. The reason that the major imaging users (Xerox, HP, Insurance companies, banks and financial institutions) maintain some of the staff they do is, that this is not a 'simple' process.

The other question is, if you don't need compatibility with someone else's environment, why go in this direction? If it is a specified work requirement, those who generated the documents should be responsible for providing the interface implementation or at least support for this line of question.

Finally, with Aperture or Lightroom the tools to directly upload to a website are built in to the product and it is a visual environment. There's little or no need for continuing third party support as long as the option or one of these two packages will work for your needs.

With the investment ($10,000 or more) you have in camera gear, I would hope you would prefer to be out making pictures than sitting in front of a computer, Look whose talking!

Best of luck and let us know what else we can do to be of assistance.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information