Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Canon XT: Does using the flash drain your camera battery faster?

I recently recharged the battery for my XT, and have found that it's running low already though I usually get a longer run from it. I've been using my flash a lot, which has its own batteries: how much drain will the flash have on the camera's batteries ?

Thanks!

Cath

Re: Canon XT: Does using the flash drain your camera battery faster?

I am thinking that you are talking about an external flash, hence the note of its own batteries. Your camera battery pack shouldn't be running low because of this, only when using the built-in flash. Can it be something else, maybe the battery didn't get a full charge the last time. How is the camera being stored when not in use?

James

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV
    I am thinking that you are talking about an external flash, hence the note of its own batteries. Your camera battery pack shouldn't be running low because of this, only when using the built-in flash. Can it be something else, maybe the battery didn't get a full charge the last time. How is the camera being stored when not in use?

James
    Yes, thanks, I did mean my external flash, not the onboard flash. I thought perhaps there might be a power consideration since they "talk" to each other.

When I'm not using the camera regularly, it's stored it the bag at home. When I'm on a shooting spree, it's anywhere nearby but high enough that the kids can't accidentally pull it down/knock it over. I charge the battery when it has been running low for awhile - I try to let the charge run as low as possible to get the most out of the next recharge.

Ta,

Cath

I was asking about storage for the simple fact, the colder the place the quicker it needs a recharge. I seen after I posted that you are in Canada. I am sure that it is a bit colder now then a few months ago, I am just trying to see if that might have anything to do with it. Other then that It might be just the battery itself.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.

James

Thanks, James, any ideas are helpful. The battery does run out faster when I'm outside in the winter, but I don't store the camera in a cold area.

Maybe my battery just needs to be replaced - it's been my only one since I bought the camera a couple of summers ago. What's the usual lifespan of a Li-ion battery pack?

Cheers,

Cath

It's very possible that the battery is simply getting old. The lithium batteries are wonderful things, but even they, eventually, do run out. So if it's been a couple years and you've only used one battery, it may be reaching the end of its service life. It will still work, of course, but as you noticed, it will have progressively less ability to hold a charge. And if it's cold when you use it, not just when you store it, it will be even worse.

Whether that one is going bad or not, many people like to have an extra battery around. That way, you can always have the extra one charged and ready to go when you need it, no missed photos.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Thread Information