Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Thread: New to Canon

New to Canon

After using Olympus for the 11 years I decided to make a change so I purchased a Canon EOS 7D and Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L EF IS Zoom Lens, so far I am very happy with. I am a wildlife nut and I am looking for another lens besides the 400mm which will be good for birds. I have a bad wirst and lugging that 400 and a tripod around is a pain.

Re: New to Canon

Wow . Thanks for all the help

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I didn't see this post until now...

So what kind of budget do you have for another lens? When it comes to birds, especially small ones, a long lens can be a pretty important tool to have. Since you said the 400mm + tripod is a pain, I doubt you want to carry around a 500mm or 600mm lens, so I would suggest something smaller and lighter than can be easily used hand held. The first thing that comes to mind is the 300mm f/4 IS L ($1360). You are going to be giving up some length, but it's a much smaller and lighter than the 100 - 400mm. This lens is also great for birds in flight. Throw a 1.4x TC ($500 for the newest version) on it and you have a 420mm f/5.6 that is still manageable hand held.

Another option is the 400mm f/5.6 ($1250). It too is smaller and lighter than the 100 - 400mm. I have never used this lens, or heard much about it, but it's another option.

Have you considered renting? I have rented the 300mm f/4 a few times and I love it. It will most likely be my next lens purchase. Give LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, or Sony a try if you're interested in renting something to test it out. They also sell some of their used gear. I just looked and they have a used 400mm f/5.6 for sale for $1000.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

A couple other things to add. Since this was posted in the Canon forums, I only mentioned Canon lenses. There may be some 3rd party lenses such as Sigma, Tamron or Tokina that will also fit your needs.

I think the question you are asking would be much better suited for the Nature/Wildlife forum instead of the Canon forum. You will most likely get a better response from people who are interested in the same types of subjects that you are.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Mojy54

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum, cannot start a new thread yet I am new to photography and want to buy a Canon. I love to snap everything but my favorite one is nature. My budget is 2000-3000$. Could you please guide me which model and lens is better to start with? I could buy more lenses later. I'd really appreciate if you kindly help me

Hilda

i use a canon 550d/t2i, works pretty good

I am too thinking of buying a cannon but im not too sure if its the route I want to take.

Actually learned a lot from this post thanks

Mojy54

Thank you guys After a lot of research I finally decided to buy a Nikon D90 with 18-55 & 55-200 lenses for now! Is it safe to buy them from Amazon? If not, what would you recommend?

Thanks

Mojy54

Talking Re: New to Canon

Okay I decided to order on line from B & H Photo Video Excited to take a lot of photos

Quote Originally Posted by Mahopac View Post
    After using Olympus for the 11 years I decided to make a change so I purchased a Canon EOS 7D and Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L EF IS Zoom Lens, so far I am very happy with. I am a wildlife nut and I am looking for another lens besides the 400mm which will be good for birds. I have a bad wirst and lugging that 400 and a tripod around is a pain.
    Maybe a monopod would be better for you?

it helped me too

Thread Information