Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Thread: New buyer!

New buyer!

I'm a college digital photography student using a Canon Rebel XTi (my brother's) and I'm finally going to go on and make my FIRST camera purchase ever!

I know I want a Canon so my brother and I can share lenses, but other than that I am entirely stumped as to what I should purchase.

I want something to hold me over for the next few years I have of college and then a few more once I go into the working field (at least until I have enough money to upgrade). What body would you recommend?? any advice would be helpful.

Re: New buyer!

What do you like to shoot, how far can you stretch your budget, remember to include lenses and a flash in this price. Even the entry level Canon DSLR's produce great results, so often it is a good idea to save money on the body and invest it in higher quality lenses, however if you are into sports for example you may want a more responsive body, or if you are into landscape you might feel that a full frame sensor will serve you better. these are all questions that only you can answer as there is no holy grail of the perfect combination.

Since you like it so much, why not an XTi? It's a great camera at a great price. If you shoot sports or birds in flight, you may like the higher shutter speed of the 40D. And of course, the XS and XSi come with the stabilized kit lens, which is quite nice... You can't go wrong with any of them, so pick the one that fits your budget best, and I'd only recommend the 40D over the Rebels if you're really into sports.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

What is the difference between a XSi and an XTi? The lenses on the XSi are interchangeable right?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    What do you like to shoot, how far can you stretch your budget, remember to include lenses and a flash in this price. Even the entry level Canon DSLR's produce great results, so often it is a good idea to save money on the body and invest it in higher quality lenses, however if you are into sports for example you may want a more responsive body, or if you are into landscape you might feel that a full frame sensor will serve you better. these are all questions that only you can answer as there is no holy grail of the perfect combination.
    Thanks that's really helpful. I tend to do a lot of staged photography so it's mostly portraiture, but I would want some versatility. I highly doubt I'll use it for sports photography, but landscape might come in handy for personal use outside of projects and assignments.

As for money (oy. money..) I'm looking to spend around $1000 on everything seeing as that's how much I have at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by somedayjane
    What is the difference between a XSi and an XTi? The lenses on the XSi are interchangeable right?
    Price, mostly. The XSi is the newer version of the XTi. Upgrades include 12MP sensor, different processor, slightly larger viewfinder, larger viewing screen (but same resolution), and other little detail things.

All Canon EF series lenses (made since 1987) will fit the Rebel SLR.

Since you're shooting mostly still scenes, I'd look at the XTi or XS (without the "i"). I'd go with whichever model is cheaper from B&H, Adorama, or buydig.com. Either camera is fantastic. That will leave you money to buy a nice lens or two, which is much more important than which Rebel body you pick, as the differences b/t them are very small.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Somedayjane you can't go wrong with the rebel series camera body. Put your hard earned $ into your lens purchases. Like yourself my brother has canon equipment and that influenced my purchase of my rebel. Happy shopping, Jimmy B

Personally, I find the larger viewfinder and improved grip of the XSi worth the extra money, over the XTi or XS. And for portraiture, you might find the XSi's spot metering capability useful in backlit situations. I highly recommend you compare them in the store before you buy one. The 18-55 IS kit lens is pretty good for a walk around lens. It will do well for landscapes, but maybe not so good for portraits. The ($90) 50mm f/1.8 lens will be much better for portraits. Add a 430 EX flash and you're up to about $1k.

Good luck and have fun.

Paul

Thread Information