Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Need Wide Angle for 20D - spoiled by f/2.8 lenses though....

In the market for a wide-angle lens for my DSLR (20D). Right now, I have a 50mm prime, and a 24-70 f/2.8 L lens, both of which have spoiled me rotten with speed.

The budget-minded side of me says that the 16-35 f/2.8 L is not cost-effective, and the spoiled side of me isn't sure if the 17-40 f/4 is fast enough. Looking at the other options, there's a 17-55 f2/8 IS out, not an L lens though and also an EF-S mount, what if I switch cameras someday? The 10-22 looks super wide and nice, but is a f3.5-4.5, which seems slow as well. Same deal with that special mount.

I'm torn and don't know where to go. Is the 10-22 actually nice enough in terms of produced images? Would the 17-55 be better, with more range? Would the 16-35 be ideal? Would the 17-40 be better than the 17-55 and/or the 10-22?

I lost an hour's sleep debating this last night, possibly more. Anyone else been in this situation and what'd you end up with?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Need Wide Angle for 20D - spoiled by f/2.8 lenses though....

I have done some light thinking on this topic, and what I have decided is this. When it comes time for me to buy a super wide angle lens, I'm going to get one that will fit on a full frame camera. I still shoot some film, and I see a full frame DSLR as a future purchase also. With a super wide angle lens, I'm not too concerned with a really fast max aperture. With a lens that wide, I will mostly be using it for landscapes, and I want a large DOF most of the time. Also, with a lens that wide, you will still be able to hand hold with pretty slow shutter speeds. If I were in the position to buy one right now, the 17-40mm would be tops on my list. It wouldn't be much wider than my 18-55mm kit lens, but I can't use that on my film camera. The 10-22mm sounds great, but I can't use that on my film camera either, or on a future FF DSLR.

As far as image quality goes with the 10-22mm lens, I think Photo-John just posted some pics from that lens a week or two ago. They looked very nice.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Ahh, I should clarify something too. I need this as an indoor lens, as well as some outdoor/landscape shots. Things for parties, casual wedding types of things, etc. Up until this point, I've been using my 24-70 for most everything, but often need something wider, but how much wider is the question.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Indeed. I would like to get a WA that will work on a full frame as well and that was what I origionally planned. But holy monkeys batman! Those super wides starting at 10 or 11mm are oh sooo tempting. I may give in to the temptation...

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

10K, I too have the 24-70 and I also have the 17-40. Let me tell you that I lose lots of sleep before buying each piece of equipment I still wonder if I made the right choice (more on this below). But first consider:

1) I haven't found the f/4 to be an insurmountable problem in such a wide angle zoom
    2) the quality to price ratio is tough to beat
    3) the size/weight/zoom range make it an ideal "walk-around" lens

So why am I still questioning my decision?

1) This lens has pretty significant barrel distortion which you may never see unless you shoot architecture. Still pretty easy to correct in Photoshop.
    2) It is sharp but not as tack sharp as I would like. I understand it is a zoom - a wide angle one at that (although I don't consider it a super-wide on these 1.6x crop SLR's)
    3) having the 24-70 lens, there is quite a bit of zoom overlap which I always consider a waste

For me, I think a fast superwide prime would have been better but, as you know, there isn't a whole lot of affordable choices.

I realize that this probably didn't make your decision any clearer. Just my opinions and experiences.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I bought the EFS 10-22 for my 20D when I thought I'd never afford a 1D.
    Then my parents died and I inherited enough to buy a 1D.
    So now I have a 20D for backup that I almost never use, and a 10-22 that I use less than that.

So if you can afford it, avoid the EFS route and get a proper EF lens.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I Vote 10-22mm

Like mjs1973 mentioned, I've been using the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5. I love it. Sure, it's not an f/2.8 lens, but you can't get anything this wide that is. Which is more important, a super-wide field-of-view or an f/2.8 aperture? I was worried about the same thing - until I used this lens. Then all worries about the aperture went out the window. I love this lens! I used it for three days on the Interbike tradeshow floor as well as on a bunch of mountain bike rides. Optical quality is very good and it's a really fun lens. The widest thing I've had for the last few years is the Canon 15mm fisheye. This is way better. It doesn't distort (much), and it's way more versatile than I thought. It's also an excellent compliment to my 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron. Together, with my new Rebel XTi, they make a formidable compact kit.

SmartWombat's comment about buying a proper lens is a good one. If you think that you may eventually move away from Canon's 1.6x format, then you may want to go with a 35mm format lens. I have a 1D as well as the Rebel. But I see the two cameras as different animals and the value of the 10-22mm lens as part of a compact, trail-worthy kit, makes me not concerned with compatibility. But that might not be the case for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Wide Angle for 20D - spoiled by f/2.8 lenses though....-_mg_2162.jpg   Need Wide Angle for 20D - spoiled by f/2.8 lenses though....-595.jpg   Need Wide Angle for 20D - spoiled by f/2.8 lenses though....-_mg_2231.jpg   Need Wide Angle for 20D - spoiled by f/2.8 lenses though....-_mg_2735-edit.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

can't you modify the EF-S lenses to fit EF mounts? Obviously voids the warranty, I just remember reading about it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    can't you modify the EF-S lenses to fit EF mounts? Obviously voids the warranty, I just remember reading about it somewhere.

Yes you can. I remember reading about this a while back. Goodle EF-S lens modification and you will find some info on it. I believe you have to cut something off of the lens, and remount it some how, but I don't remember for sure. Not something that I would personally try myself, but it could be the right solution for someone else.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Modification

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Yes you can. I remember reading about this a while back. Goodle EF-S lens modification and you will find some info on it. I believe you have to cut something off of the lens, and remount it some how, but I don't remember for sure. Not something that I would personally try myself, but it could be the right solution for someone else.
    I'm not sure that's such a great idea. Even if it is possible, the image circle on EF-S lenses will be smaller than the frame of a 1D or full-frame 35mm or digital SLR. If you have a full-frame camera, better to just buy the appropriate lenses.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Modification

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'm not sure that's such a great idea. Even if it is possible, the image circle on EF-S lenses will be smaller than the frame of a 1D or full-frame 35mm or digital SLR. If you have a full-frame camera, better to just buy the appropriate lenses.

I agree 100%.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information