Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Thread: readings

readings

This is a silly question,

I have had a canon 350 D for a awhile now, but sometimes i cant seem to get an " average " reading when im shooting outdoors in the afternoon ( around 3pm ). I was trying to photograph birds in a nearby park and where it is quite shady and the bird has a decent amount of sunlight. The light was blinking intercating extreeme underexposure. I was on the most open aperature, and tried other the ISO settings but it still showed extreeme underexposure and did not change at all.
    I was using partial metering ( 9 % )

Any advice?.

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: readings

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug182
    This is a silly question,

I have had a canon 350 D for a awhile now, but sometimes i cant seem to get an " average " reading when im shooting outdoors in the afternoon ( around 3pm ). I was trying to photograph birds in a nearby park and where it is quite shady and the bird has a decent amount of sunlight. The light was blinking intercating extreeme underexposure. I was on the most open aperature, and tried other the ISO settings but it still showed extreeme underexposure and did not change at all.
    I was using partial metering ( 9 % )
    Exposure is a combination of aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. You say you were at full aperture, what did you have the shutter speed set to? If the shutter speed is set too high, slow it down. If that still doesn't work, boost the ISO. You can also use a tripod and reduce to shutter speed to slower non-handholding speeds if the subject will tolerate that.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Exposure Guide

It sounds like you might be able to use a simple exposure lesson. And I've got just what you need!

Basic Photography Exposure Guide >>

If you're in aperture priority mode and there's too much light, you may have to use the exposure compensation control to bring down the exposure.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information