Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

XTI Main Dial Question

Hi all!!

Hope this isn't to stupid of a questions but I can't seem to figure this out on my own.

I just purchase the 400D XTi (my first SLR) and I'm having trouble when adjusting settings in the manual modes. Whenever I use the main dial it seems to adjust what ever I'm setting to the next higher level no matter what direction I turn the dial..... For instance when I try to adjust the shutter speed in tv mode when I turned the dial to the left it went from 200 to 250 and then when I turned the dial to the right it went up to 320.

As far as I can tell from the manual it should go up when i turn it to the right and down when I turn it to the left, but I can't seem to get it to go down. Almost all of my manual settings are now at the highest settings I'm not sure what else to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Chango

Re: XTI Main Dial Question

There are no stupid questions on PhotographyREVIEW.com, Chango. We're here to help, not make you feel bad. There are plenty of other places you can go if you want to be insulted :-)

Without actually having your camera in my hands, I can't be sure. But it does sound like it's not working right. I have an XTi right here, in my hands. I put it on Tv and turned the dial left and the shutter speed went down. And when I rotate it to the right, the shutter speed gets faster. Did you try it on M to see if that makes a difference? Just in case you don't know, M is pure manual wher you have to adjust everything. So if you're in M mode, there's no way there can be any compensation on the part of the camera. Try that and see if it works correctly.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks Photo-John!

I just got off the phone with Canon tech support and they confirmed that the camera's dial is not functing properly. They recomended that I deal directly w/ the company I purchased from (B&H) and get a new unit since the camera is brand new. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer before I can start my new hobby....

Thanks again for the help.

Chango

Quote Originally Posted by Chango989
    I just got off the phone with Canon tech support and they confirmed that the camera's dial is not functing properly.
    Bummer! But it has to happen to someone every so often. Hopefully B&H will take care of it without any hassles. I trust they will. They're good people. And we'll still be here when you get the replacement
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information